Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
May 30, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #3,931 of 6,736
Interesting stuff.
I wonder if it’s similar to this strategy and these devices?
https://www.russandrews.com/images/pdf/GroundingMk3.pdf
Interesting article with very positive claims. I'm put off buying from RA again because I tried the Silencer which made no difference (to me), and also a power cord (a freebie with hifi mag subscription) which also did nothing (to me). I say to me, others may have got benefits, who knows. The there was this https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/russ-andrews-accessories-ltd-a13-228690.html. He was later cleared of the charge, but I've have had distrust since. You can make up your own mind, just putting it out there.

edit: removed word 'apparently' from statement 'was later apparently cleared of the charge. RA was officialy cleared.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #3,932 of 6,736
A question / suggestion to Mr. Watts:

Dear Mr. Watts,

I had the pleasure to visit your company's room at the Hi-End Show in Munich earlier this month.
I was quite curious about the new phono stage called Huei and I have found it to be quite amazing, so I am waiting
impatiently now for the market launch.
As a Qutest owner I was especially glad to find out that you have used practically the same body for Huei,
as for Qutest. I think they will make a nice pair on my rack. :)
What I especially liked very much in the design of Huei as compared with Qutest is first, there is a power switch
- I find that very very good; second - Huei has as well balanced outputs. This makes me very happy, since the manufacturer
of my beloved Moon power amp recommends always when possible to use the balanced inputs.
My question would be if you intend to offer us as well balanced outputs with the next version of Qute - whatever the name? And maybe a power switch too would be very agreeable. :)

Yours sincerely

Huei? It will be banned from entering to US market!

Jun 2, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #3,933 of 6,736
Just to share that I have tried recently using handphone power bank to power up my qutest and it works beautifully. Before trying battery, I have tried using ifi products but none of them have good synergy with my hifi system. It sounds muffle and veil instead. So i thought why not try battery.

I didn't compare the sound using stock psu and power bank but it seems to me that i hear blacker background and good layering using battery power bank.

I believe battery operated is better than any power conditioner so since that day i use battery bank.

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #3,934 of 6,736
Welcome aboard. Strange you had noise, I never found any difference between supplied plug and battery, but good you're fixed. I use the NUC as well, bought especially as music server for its optical output.

Same with me - I hear no difference between battery power supply and the original charger. But I use a mains filter for my whole system, and this is very likely an explanation for not hearing any difference.

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #3,936 of 6,736
Just to share that I have tried recently using handphone power bank to power up my qutest and it works beautifully. Before trying battery, I have tried using ifi products but none of them have good synergy with my hifi system. It sounds muffle and veil instead. So i thought why not try battery.

I didn't compare the sound using stock psu and power bank but it seems to me that i hear blacker background and good layering using battery power bank.

I believe battery operated is better than any power conditioner so since that day i use battery bank.
Generic or of some brand?

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #3,939 of 6,736
What interconnects are you using? I was thinking about an upgrade since the Chord Clearway I currently have sound somehow dark to me and seem to have recessed highs.

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #3,941 of 6,736
The other day, Ive tried switching from using optical input (lifatec glass cable) on the qutest back to its usb input (atlas usb element se cable w no decrapifier). Wanted to try again dsd upsampling of audirvana. Boy was I wrong, the optical input sound is so far better sounding than the usb input. The optical input sounds very clean and alive. The usb input sounds like it doesnt have focus, not clean and tight. The high freq sounds super bright where the optical input really toned down the high freq but still w alot of details. I think im good for now just running tidal at 24/96 it sounds way better than my usb input upsampled. Maybe its my usb cable and no use of decrapifier.

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #3,942 of 6,736
The other day, Ive tried switching from using optical input (lifatec glass cable) on the qutest back to its usb input (atlas usb element se cable w no decrapifier). Wanted to try again dsd upsampling of audirvana. Boy was I wrong, the optical input sound is so far better sounding than the usb input. The optical input sounds very clean and alive. The usb input sounds like it doesnt have focus, not clean and tight. The high freq sounds super bright where the optical input really toned down the high freq but still w alot of details. I think im good for now just running tidal at 24/96 it sounds way better than my usb input upsampled. Maybe its my usb cable and no use of decrapifier.

I've the same experiences. Just a little movement to the USB plug, the sound stage was changed. I suspect the USB interface wasn't reliable as compared optical.

Jun 8, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #3,943 of 6,736

You should let the Qutest do all the upsampling anyway so feed native files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back