Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 10, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #2,821 of 6,736
Hi all

Can someone please post a photo of the included 5Vdc power supply that comes with Qutest?

If possible, a clear photo showing the text on the PSU.

Cheers!

Hope this helps.

Qutest PSU.jpg

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #2,824 of 6,736
i got a usb to optical converter, and it was a waste of money to buy it. Details were lost , and too warm and lifeless, definitely usb sounds way better

so i got iso regen, curious cables, and this usb to optical converter, how much did it improve from using the stock usb cable, maybe max 1% with using just the usb cables\

I am done chasing suggestions to improve the sound of the qutest, it was great with just using stock everything

love the qutest with my ifi ican pro and meze empyrean

save your money and buy good headphones instead thats my advise,

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #2,825 of 6,736
i got a usb to optical converter, and it was a waste of money to buy it. Details were lost , and too warm and lifeless, definitely usb sounds way better
so i got iso regen, curious cables, and this usb to optical converter, how much did it improve from using the stock usb cable, maybe max 1% with using just the usb cables\
I am done chasing useless suggestions to improve the sound of the qutest, it was great with just using stock everything, no need for anyone to look more into all the hypes around use this or that
love the qutest with my ifi ican pro and meze empyrean
save your money and buy good headphones instead of all these useless advises

On the basis that the actual digital signal was not being changed, the details that you say were lost might just have been false detail due to RF noise on your USB source. Your comment about warmth and being lifeless is also consistent with getting rid of RF noise.

It might just be that the optical connection was the most accurate . . . . . .

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #2,826 of 6,736
On the basis that the actual digital signal was not being changed, the details that you say were lost might just have been false detail due to RF noise on your USB source. Your comment about warmth and being lifeless is also consistent with getting rid of RF noise.

then definitely i like RF noise :) the more the merrier :)

Jan 12, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #2,827 of 6,736

Ha ha great post!!! i watched some movies with usb toys and it certainly sound worse for movies cause it removed sharpness which movies need. For music it is better. Some people have warm gear and they could easily like rf noise too. Absolutely spot on!

Jan 12, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #2,828 of 6,736
Ha ha great post!!! i watched some movies with usb toys and it certainly sound worse for movies cause it removed sharpness which movies need. For music it is better. Some people have warm gear and they could easily like rf noise too. Absolutely spot on!

Have you ever watched a TV where the sharpness and colour settings have been turned up? Some people like their tellies like that but it is not accurate.

I was once made to sit through one of the Lord of the Rings movies at a friends house where he had a new huge TV with the sharpness turned up and all I could see was the horrible digital artifacts due to the artificial sharpening all the way through the movie. I do a lot of work with digital images and overuse of the PhotoShop unsharp mask (which actually applies sharpening) is easy to spot and is horrible.

Jan 12, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #2,829 of 6,736
Have you ever watched a TV where the sharpness and colour settings have been turned up? Some people like their tellies like that but it is not accurate.

I was once made to sit through one of the Lord of the Rings movies at a friends house where he had a new huge TV with the sharpness turned up and all I could see was the horrible digital artifacts due to the artificial sharpening all the way through the movie. I do a lot of work with digital images and overuse of the PhotoShop unsharp mask (which actually applies sharpening) is easy to spot and is horrible.
1 thing for sure! Such things only impress at first in the long run its annoys. Thats why i like Sony Tvs very accurate colors unlike Samsungs. Even on my monitor i use 0 vibrance settings.

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #2,830 of 6,736
the usb-optical convertors can in fact change and alter the digital signal to the worse especially the cheap chinese ones. stay well clear i say. always direct into chord dacs..

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #2,831 of 6,736
the usb-optical convertors can in fact change and alter the digital signal to the worse especially the cheap chinese ones. stay well clear i say. always direct into chord dacs..

Really? How does this manifest itself? Pops and clicks or are you saying the music signal is changed? I would find it hard to understand the latter.

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #2,832 of 6,736
the accuracy of the oscillating crystals (responsible for timing and clocking the audio signal) inside alot of these cheap chinese ddc's leaves alot to be desired. the problem is that your computer can tell you the sample rate that it spits out on screen but there is no way of graphically representing on a screen the sample rate that the ddc is spitting out so you are at its mercy. alot of folk use these 100 pound chinese ones and just as i was going to get one i got a message from the top here on headfi warning me against not just the cheap ones but all of them from any country. i struggled with this point a long while back as i felt instinctively something was wrong.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #2,833 of 6,736
I`ve read many times that optical is the worst audio interface due to highest jitter. Don`t know is it true or false, but i see a lot of high quality USB-coax converters (like Audiophilleo) and very few of USB-optical (actually I can`t recall any, except of cheap Chinese converters).

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #2,834 of 6,736
high jitter with optical is not an issue at all for chord dacs due to the DPLL (digital phase lock loop) which in simple terms brings the accuracy of timing of non-usb inputs in line with usb inputs (which are timed directly by the FPGA).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back