Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Dec 26, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #2,701 of 6,736
I tried great usb cables, and Ifi nano usb on 2qute... both largely improve sound. That is a reason why people dont like Chord amps. Very transparent yes, but if 1 would run cheap usb cables with no usb cleaner very transparent amp like Chord one will let you hear noise and other artifacts in its full glory.
Very few manufacturers have good usb implementations and they cost big money.

That's the thing, you see, I have tried various (very) expensive USB cables with Chord Dave and found no difference at all compared to a simple good cable such as the Supra USB 2.0. And so I use the Supra.

And when you talk about the improvements that you hear, what are these exactly? What sort of noise do you hear coming through a Chord DAC?

I have not heard anything with my Dave to make me think other than that the USB in it is very well implemented although I admit now that I use the dual BNC into the Dave and my USB input is either into Blu2 or Hugo Mscaler.

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #2,702 of 6,736
Hi ,
If that is what you mean with SPDIF?

I mean Coaxial digital interface. As said.. USB is far from perfect interface.. need to be implemented really well (good DDC USB to SPDIF alone cost 300$ and up ).
You can easily check it out, just stream the same track form your USB source and from coaxial/optical soururce (CD, DAP).. you will get what we mean right away.
USB will have this low level "noise" which really influence transparency, sound notes extention which drammatically effect scene depth presentation.. in this range where your brain will reconstruct space, you will get this low level grainy noise from USB that overlap this tiny spectrum.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #2,703 of 6,736
That's the thing, you see, I have tried various (very) expensive USB cables with Chord Dave and found no difference at all compared to a simple good cable such as the Supra USB 2.0. And so I use the Supra.

And when you talk about the improvements that you hear, what are these exactly? What sort of noise do you hear coming through a Chord DAC?

I have not heard anything with my Dave to make me think other than that the USB in it is very well implemented although I admit now that I use the dual BNC into the Dave and my USB input is either into Blu2 or Hugo Mscaler.
Thats mystery. Even Audiobacon reviewer tried Dave with ton of usb cleanes, cables and all made difference. Besides do you know that dialetric needs breaking in to get signal integrity at full potential.

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #2,704 of 6,736
I mean Coaxial digital interface. As said.. USB is far from perfect interface.. need to be implemented really well (good DDC USB to SPDIF alone cost 300$ and up ).
You can easily check it out, just stream the same track form your USB source and from coaxial/optical soururce (CD, DAP).. you will get what we mean right away.
USB will have this low level "noise" which really influence transparency, sound notes extention which drammatically effect scene depth presentation.. in this range where your brain will reconstruct space, you will get this low level grainy noise from USB that overlap.

Who else hears this "low level grainy noise from USB" ? I do a lot of comparative listening on Dave with digital cables because of the ones that I make and I am completely familiar with easily hear the RF noise which although inaudible by itself can cause intermodulation distortion on an audio signal in the analogue stage and which in turn can give a sense of brightness or even harshness in the extreme.

But I have never heard actual audible noise on a USB or any other digital input.

I often hear the background noise fade in and fade out at the start and end of tracks on recordings, even recent ones, and often this is a very low level but is still audible so I would hope my hearing is good enough to hear the noise you hear. Can I have more pointers please about what to look out for this audible background noise?

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #2,705 of 6,736
Can I have more pointers please about what to look out for this audible background noise?

As I say, it's not like a noise.. it more like harshness (very low level) at very background. You should hear it with direct comparison of interconnected devices.
Take any CD, and flack of it.. play same track simultaneously trough CD (SPDIF) and USB/PC source. Do A/B.. switch your DAC inputs from one to other and back..
If your USB tract is compromised you will get it. Maybe it will be hard to describe exactly, But if you conclude that coaxial input give you more pleasure from music.. this is it. It will sound more clear and deep trough SPDIF... Just try.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #2,706 of 6,736
Thats mystery. Even Audiobacon reviewer tried Dave with ton of usb cleanes, cables and all made difference. Besides do you know that dialetric needs breaking in to get signal integrity at full potential.

Yes and I respect Jay at AudioBacon but on the other hand different does not always mean better. I am obviously not a digital cable skeptic, quite the reverse in fact, all I am saying is that I personally have failed to hear differences between USB cables. I have also tried the JitterBug with the same result.

But, ah, I have just remembered something to do with all this but I think I had better go to PM with you and @odessamarin about what I have just remembered if that is OK.

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #2,708 of 6,736
Yes and I respect Jay at AudioBacon but on the other hand different does not always mean better. I am obviously not a digital cable skeptic, quite the reverse in fact, all I am saying is that I personally have failed to hear differences between USB cables. I have also tried the JitterBug with the same result.

But, ah, I have just remembered something to do with all this but I think I had better go to PM with you and @odessamarin about what I have just remembered if that is OK.
ok.

Dec 26, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #2,709 of 6,736
I tried great usb cables, and Ifi nano usb on 2qute... both largely improve sound. That is a reason why people dont like Chord amps. Very transparent yes, but if 1 would run cheap usb cables with no usb cleaner very transparent amp like Chord one will let you hear noise and other artifacts in its full glory.
Very few manufacturers have good usb implementations and they cost big money.
Hmm, So your suggestion is to go for something less transparent in order to hide noise and artefacts?
There is a contradiction in what you are saying, if so.
I want maximum transparency and resolution without any type of noise at all if possible.
Cheers Controversial Christer

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #2,710 of 6,736
Hmm, So your suggestion is to go for something less transparent in order to hide noise and artefacts?
There is a contradiction in what you are saying, if so.
I want maximum transparency and resolution without any type of noise or harshness at all if possible.
And I can hear an improvement and lessening of noise and harshness,by using a battery powered linear PSU instead of the supplied switching one with Qutest/ MScaler so maybe we are actually talking about the same thing but differnt ways to solve the problem?
The MPU1 I am using claims to deal with USB connection induced problems in a way switching PSUs apparently don't?
All I can state since changing the PSU but still via USB in on my mbp is that my music now sounds cleaner and more resolved. Most notably in the ppp to pppp region when instruments are playing at such a low volume level that it sometimes almost verges on silence, with well recorded classical music.

Cheers Controversial Christer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back