Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Dec 23, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #2,673 of 6,736
Nothing wrong with a bit of AC/DC.

I have many times listened to AC/DC tracks from Youtube, firstly with Mojo then Hugo 2. I have saved a few tracks into a folder I called Youtunes, so I can find them fast again.

My only problem with AC/DC is that there is no greatest hits album. I am not a fan so far of their general album music. Their hits though are excellent. All the better for a Chord DAC of course, and why I ended up saving them. (Maybe if I try their general album music more, I might grow to like them. Sometimes music takes a few listens.)

Dec 23, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #2,674 of 6,736
[QUOTE = "Nik74, postagem: 14667761, membro: 493958"] [USUÁRIO = 495778] @ Zzt231gr [/ USER] Estou alimentando o Qutest do Pilot 2 agora. Você tem o estoque de imagens do primeiro e da agora, nos últimos 20 minutos, mudei para o piloto 2. Sentado, me perguntando por que eu não fiz isso todo esse tempo ... pitada de sal como esta hoje poderia ser uma boa noite em termos de qualidade de rede de qualquer maneira. Eu acho o som do piloto bem diferente. Parece que mudei o tubo do driver não meu amplificador! Os médios são mais presentes e holográficos, mais líquidos e texturizados. Você é tão brilhante, mas de bom humor, não há sibilância. Eu me pergunto como vai subir em uma configuração SS, mas como eles são voluptivos amplificadores de válvulas sonoras, Alguns dos métoos inferiores soam um pouco mais contidos, o que não é ruim, já que essa parte do espectro tinha um "preenchimento" extra -. Impressões iniciais, tudo isso, mas vou experimentar mais. [/
[QUOTE = "Nik74, post: 14667761, membro: 493958"] [USER = 495778] @ Zzt231gr [/ USER] Estou alimentando o Qutest do Pilot 2 agora. Eu escutei com o estoque ps por cerca de uma hora primeiro e agora, nos últimos 20 minutos, mudei para o piloto 2. Sentado aqui, me perguntando por que eu não fiz isso todo esse tempo ... Pegue o que vou dizer com uma pitada de sal como esta hoje poderia ser uma noite particularmente boa em termos de qualidade da rede de qualquer maneira. Eu acho o som do piloto bem diferente. Parece que mudei o tubo do driver no meu amplificador! Os médios são mais presentes e holográficos, mais líquidos e texturizados. Eu quero dizer mais brilhante, mas de um jeito bom, não há sibilância. Eu me pergunto como vai soar em uma configuração SS, mas como para os meus voluptivos amplificadores de válvulas sonoras, alguns dos médios inferiores soam um pouco mais contidos, o que não é ruim, já que essa parte do espectro tinha um "padding" extra -. Impressões iniciais, tudo isso, mas vou experimentar mais. [/ QUOTE]

Concordo consigo!

Dec 23, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #2,676 of 6,736
Loving my Qutest streaming from Dell XPS 15 laptop. But would like to not have my laptop physically tied to the Qutest.

Looking for advice on integrating a network streamer with both Qutest and Roon. I have read through all 177 pages, and there has been some talk of Network Streamers, but not in the context of Roon.

Looking to be able to use Roon from my laptop (With music files stored locally on laptop ssd) and connected only via Wifi. Would also be cool to have a Network streamer with an SSD drive, but Im worried that would degrade the Roon experience as controlled from the laptop.

What is everyone using now?

Dec 23, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #2,677 of 6,736
Loving my Qutest streaming from Dell XPS 15 laptop. But would like to not have my laptop physically tied to the Qutest.

Looking for advice on integrating a network streamer with both Qutest and Roon. I have read through all 177 pages, and there has been some talk of Network Streamers, but not in the context of Roon.

Looking to be able to use Roon from my laptop (With music files stored locally on laptop ssd) and connected only via Wifi. Would also be cool to have a Network streamer with an SSD drive, but Im worried that would degrade the Roon experience as controlled from the laptop.

I'm using a sotm sms-200 which works perfectly with roon but you will still need a pc to run roon, I use quobuz and bubble upbp which does not require a pc.

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #2,679 of 6,736
I'm using a sotm sms-200 which works perfectly with roon but you will still need a pc to run roon, I use quobuz and bubble upbp which does not require a pc.

That's close, but doesn't quiet do what I am looking for. I am looking to Physically disconnect my PC, which means I need a network streamer that is good enough to act like a Chord Poly (but work) and connect to the Wifi upstairs (that my PC is also connected to) that I dont have access too.

It may be a dream... I guess I'm just happy to be rid of my Poly and if I have to use a 3m USB to my computer, so be it, but in the future I have an eye out for a good network streamer that can do it all and do it well for me.

I wont hijack this thread anymore as this is getting a bit off topic, but If anyone is using a Network Streamer that can do what Im looking for, please do post.

Dec 23, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #2,680 of 6,736
The Audioquest Colorado.

I don't think it is available any longer. HIFI companies keep changing names of things to entice buyers to buy the newer not necessarily reallly better or different sounding stuff all the time.

But it was one of Audioquest's better rca cables when I bought it.
Weird name for a cable that is not very coloured at all.

I guess they did not even think of what Colorado actually means when they named it?
The guys at Audioquest were probably only thinking of that beautiful state in the USA when they named it.

But I also have a Chord Signature back home.
One of their reference cables which is even better and more resolving than the Audioquest Colorado.
I did not want to bring such an expensive cable on my travels.

The cheap Chord Clearway is ok for its price. But if you listen to well recorded acoustic music you might/should? be able to hear improvements with better rca cables provided your system is resolving enough.

In the test in the HI FI mag quoted in the other post they mentioned synths sounding better with Clearway than the other cable they used.
Personally I NEVER listen to synths and electronica. Besides, those genres have no actual references points in HI FI terms anyway so whatever tests like that one say I would not put much trust in them.

One of the most amusing things I have seen here recently was the video Triode User posted in the M Scaler thread I believe?of Rob demoing the M Scaler somewhere where he was asked by one person how M Scaler would sound with live band and amplified music since many probably listen to that type of music?

I very much enjoyed Rob's honesty in his response to the question asked.

He basically said amplified band music generally sounds flat and "awful or dreadful" and apart from clearer starting and stopping of notes you could not expect M Scaler to perform any other kind of miracle than this with those genres.
I could not agree more!
Spot on imho!

Rob's response reminded me of the first time I heard the new M Scaler/TT2 without any music of my own with me and with something by AC/DC playing via LCD4 headphones.
It sounded absolutely dreadful to me.
I still honestly don't understand why people who listen to that type of music ever bother to buy anything ,more expensive than a smartphone and a pair of IEMs?
What is there really to gain?

But M Scaler and suitable quality equipment to support it, and well recorded acoustic music now that can be quite something imo.

But everything matters. Cables, connections ,analogue parts, power supplies speakers and headphones each and all in one way or other influence the final sound.
Cheers Controversial Christer

Just to clarify my comments - when I said amplified band music sounds flat and "awful or dreadful" I was referring to live amplified music - reproducing the same music via a high end audio system sounds much better than a live performance - the only benefit of live with amplified music being the perception of starting and stopping of notes.

When you listen to good rock or electronica the ability to perceive soundstage (particularly depth) is enormous; some recordings have huge sense of soundstage; and using the M scaler will dramatically enhance the experience, particularly in the ability to get emotionally involved with the music. You have twisted my comments to attacking particular music genres, and that's something I strongly disagree with. I have lots of prog rock and electronica on my current playlist, and absolutely love that kind of music; together with all forms of classical music. I do not know of any music that will not benefit hugely with an M scaler, or a better DAC/amp.

Christer - please show some tolerance to other people's musical preferences. Just because you (or anybody else) do not like a particular form of music, does not mean that music is without merit.

Dec 24, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #2,681 of 6,736

I am using Roon on my Innuos server. Additionally I am using the beta option which streams from the RAM. I am hoping that the promised integration of Qobuz and Roon happens so I can stream from Qobuz within Roon.

Dec 24, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #2,682 of 6,736
Just to clarify my comments - when I said amplified band music sounds flat and "awful or dreadful" I was referring to live amplified music - reproducing the same music via a high end audio system sounds much better than a live performance - the only benefit of live with amplified music being the perception of starting and stopping of notes.

When you listen to good rock or electronica the ability to perceive soundstage (particularly depth) is enormous; some recordings have huge sense of soundstage; and using the M scaler will dramatically enhance the experience, particularly in the ability to get emotionally involved with the music. You have twisted my comments to attacking particular music genres, and that's something I strongly disagree with. I have lots of prog rock and electronica on my current playlist, and absolutely love that kind of music; together with all forms of classical music. I do not know of any music that will not benefit hugely with an M scaler, or a better DAC/amp.

Christer - please show some tolerance to other people's musical preferences. Just because you (or anybody else) do not like a particular form of music, does not mean that music is without merit.

Hello Rob , mea culpa if that is how you interpreted my post. Don't worry. "Beauty is as always ,in the eye of the beholder" I am fully aware of that.
But as I obviously misunderstood your comments in the video, I think you also misunderstood my reasons for commenting in such a rude manner again.
My comment was not really only related as such to the musical merits of AC/DC which was what I had fresh in mind although I personally have difficulty finding them.

I know a lot of people love music I absolutely abhor, like Rap and Heavy Metal, Metallica and a lot else that to me is simply slightly organised noise.
And I still wonder how with all the very high levels probably in the range of 10-15 % or so, of inherent distortions in for example the AC/DC track I first heard via M Scaler, what significant benefits M Scaler or any other really low distortion link in a HI FI chain could possibly bring?

That is of course a very personal opinion that will offend many here and I could easily have avoided doing so.

But offensive as it may be,I still think there is a bit more than just "a grain of truth" in purely factual HI FI terms in what I said.
Cheers and Merry Christmas Controversial Christer

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #2,684 of 6,736

Gasmonkey, have you considered the Auralic Aries Mini? I could have imagined this but doesn’t the most recent firmware upgrade support Roon endpoints? I have one by the way and it’s great, but I’m not a Roon user yet so I don’t always pay full attention in terms of Roon support. They appear on eBay for good prices quite often. Plus, they can house an SSD should you wish to go down that route.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #2,685 of 6,736
The latest edition of HiFi Choice, is their Stereo Stars edition, (or their 'best of'). The Qutest DAC takes an award or Editor's Choice, on page 62-63. It looks like they have included the whole review. If you want to catch that review, then edition 445 is what you want.

I am not sure if HiFi Coice have put their review online yet. However after some digging I found the PDF of their review linked by some other audio website.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back