Chord Electronics Lounge and Chat area.
Jan 24, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #96 of 249
I've noticed something strange, if I play the same file, NAS-phone-USB audio Pro-WA8 vs. NAS-phone-DS Audio-WA8 they sound very different I expect audibly, soprano voice now sounds like an alto, but the latter plays slower. Former is bit perfect. Why is song slower, shouldn't clock make both same?

This weekend I'm going to use another phones timer to time overall length and see what difference is.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #97 of 249
It’s a shame this thread didn’t take-off better. The ability to discuss various HIFI experiences and questions without disrupting a thread devoted to a specific subject or product was a good idea imo.

I experienced something quite exceptional with a product recently and thought I would share it.

In a quest to further improve the SQ of my Blu MkII + Dave DAC setup I have painstakingly gone through every facet of my signal chain. It started with an Innuos Statement front end to serve the M Scaler. I changed my IC and Speaker cables Over to Tellurium Q Statement and changed my Amp to the Constellation Revelation Taurus. I added a couple of Isotek Ascension Power cables too. Not cheap! Each time I upgraded, the additional clarity highlighted RFI/EMI in my system and so I addressed it with additional Ferrites. As one would expect my SQ has improved with every measure but here is the twist, I recently bought 5x UK 13A ‘Blue’ slow-blow fuses by Synergistic Research and placed them in the plugs feeding the Taurus Power amp, the Isotek Sigmas, Blu MKII, Dave and the Innuos Statement. Once they had run-in 200+ hours, I experienced the biggest improvement in SQ of all the other changes. In fact if Chord had brought out a Dave MkII I could have been fooled into believing this was it.

What changed:
1) Lower EMI/RFI
2) Deeper and weightier Bass
3) Greater overall Clarity and detail despite the heavier Bass. Bass guitars now have the most detailed sound I have heard on any system at any price.
4) Improved Resolution
5) much improved dynamics in speed, flow, weight
6) The imaged stage is further removed from the speakers, more engaging and has greater weight
7) sound is smoother, particularly Vocals and the EQ of instruments is more naturally balanced - correct. It is simply more pure and natural. Cymbals and high-hats are cleaner and more detailed.
8) the overall performance is more natural, balanced, ‘engaging’ and believable.

These fuses have elevated my system to the super-league.

I don’t know what Synergistic Research have done to achieve this but I have tried other HIFI fuses in the past and have heard nothing close to this improvement. Maybe you can find something cheaper giving greater bang for buck but having experienced the SR Blue fuses I am in no doubt that the weakest link in ALL HIFI systems must be the fuses. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised really. All the power on a system travels through this thin strand of cheap metal with zero shielding. £650 was a crazy amount for 5 fuses but incredibly the price turned out to be a bargain for me compared to what I was spending on other equipment against the resultant improvement in SQ for each.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #98 of 249
I’m plug n play. no drama, don’t know if this is a social space, but chord threads seem so boring and dry, so moderated, I have not been received to well, don’t feel very comfortable posting there and well, it’s all about new gear anyways. So give it a go here. See what happens. Low bar tho, not expecting anything.

May 21, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #99 of 249
£650 was a crazy amount for 5 fuses but incredibly the price turned out to be a bargain for me compared to what I was spending on other equipment against the resultant improvement in SQ for each.
I recently bought 5x UK 13A ‘Blue’ fuses by Synergistic Research

I agree to all what you say. I purchased these fuses for all my equipment crazy price but the added SQ is worth the extra there is also a free trail, so no risk.

I have great results with a GSX MK2 as well as my main HiFi.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #100 of 249
Good to hear you had the same experience Clive. I think the cable/power product manufacturers have made good progress over the last couple of years. I am just catching up! ...........though the cost is eye watering.

May 21, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #101 of 249
Good you guys have got a noticeable improvement, hope they last a long time and don't blow given the cost! I used to get through many slowburn fuses with my power amp for some reason which was a worry, switched to a different brand and they now last OK.
I now keep all my electrical connectors clean with Maplin switch cleaner, clean and polish the ends of the regular fuses and the contacts in the plug socket (wet the prongs of the plug with cleaner and push in and out a few times). First time I did all that I did hear an improvement. Never tried any fancy fuses tho.

May 21, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #102 of 249
Good to hear you had the same experience Clive. I think the cable/power product manufacturers have made good progress over the last couple of years. I am just catching up! ...........though the cost is eye watering.

I also added a Torus 16 amp power supply also one of the best upgrades... I also added a dedicated 32 amp supply with a 16 amp socket ( I know someone is going to say it is incorrect but it is not ) without a fuse to the Torus which has it's own 16 amp beaker without any fuse it sounded better than the 13 amp plug and fuse with lead.

Supra silver plated 2.5 power cables throughout.

A very well known retailer does not use any fuses in his HiFi system even stated this in a demo with 50 + people BUT DID NOT RECOMMEND IT DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF caveat was endorsed for the obvious safety reasons.

May 21, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #103 of 249
You've got me curious now. I use the supplied SMPS with Qutest and headamp, which are sealed so nothing can be done there, though the fuse in the mains conditioner plug board can be swapped out. Would there be any advantage to just changing that one would you think?

May 21, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #104 of 249
QB
That’s all I have done so far. No internal fuses, just the power cords to each component plus the power cord to the Isotek Sigmas power conditioner. It worked a treat as I mentioned earlier

May 21, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #105 of 249
84D58064-11E5-49DC-ACB9-D31CF6836843.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back