Chord Electronics Hugo M-Scaler
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2018 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

plinth

100+ Head-Fier
1 million taps at £3500, optical in and out, TT form factor.

I guess Chord have solved the problem of the Blue 2 waiting list. I cannot wait to get mine in Q3 2018.

Jul 22, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 34
With the power input requirements being 9 to 15v I was going to try an Uptone LPS 1.2 at 12v, I also have a Teddy Pardo 12v power supply for my Unitiserve that I may ask Teddy to make me a cable to connect to the M Scaler.

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 34
Can someone explain how this works.. how do you "add-in" new information into a 16bit 44.1khz signal from a CD transport? - I love Chord Electronics and love my Qutest - but what exactly will this add to the signal path?

This might help you...

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 34
1 million taps at £3500, optical in and out, TT form factor.

I guess Chord have solved the problem of the Blue 2 waiting list. I cannot wait to get mine in Q3 2018.

I have ordered one but I am afraid that based on other Chord product releases I will expect it when I see it rather than rely on the current shipping predictions. :laughing:

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 34
I have also got my order in. Actually my Qutest arrived earlier than expected. I was encouraged by the delivery date of next month as that shows that they must have secured their supply lines, are confident of their assembly performance as they must be in production mode already.

It will be interesting to see if the used Blu2s price drops to close to the HMS. Given the choice now I would take the HMS over the Blu2 as I really can't be bothered futzing around with ferrites.

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 34
I have also got my order in. Actually my Qutest arrived earlier than expected. I was encouraged by the delivery date of next month as that shows that they must have secured their supply lines, are confident of their assembly performance as they must be in production mode already.

It will be interesting to see if the used Blu2s price drops to close to the HMS. Given the choice now I would take the HMS over the Blu2 as I really can't be bothered futzing around with ferrites.

I was told 'Autumn 2018' for delivery which covers a multitude of options but hopefully does not run to 2019!

My Hugo MScaler will go in the work at home office system where I spend up to 10 hrs per day. My Blu2 in the main system is going to stay because I actually quite like playing CDs. Sometimes choosing from hundreds of ripped CDs on a server is just too much hassle and better is to have a few CDs out which get changed in rotation. Also lucky is that I make fully ferrited cables so I am fully sorted there, normally with customers cables being tested before dispatch.

I think that the far east demand for Blu Mk2 with its CD player will stay strong (I understand they like CD players especially in Japan) so hopefully there is a market out there for owners who want to jump ship to the Hugo MScaler. The Blu2 is still a mighty fine piece of kit and the new MScaler cannot take that away from it.

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 34
I see many mentions of pre-orders, were these all at the show? I have not spotted any dealers advertising pre-orders yet. Just curious, because I maybe wrongly sense that if I pre-ordered tomorrow, I would be number 1000 in the waiting queue, and no chance of shipping till January anyway. Conclusion (maybe wrong) no rush to pre-order now.

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 34
I see many mentions of pre-orders, were these all at the show? I have not spotted any dealers advertising pre-orders yet. Just curious, because I maybe wrongly sense that if I pre-ordered tomorrow, I would be number 1000 in the waiting queue, and no chance of shipping till January anyway. Conclusion (maybe wrong) no rush to pre-order now.

Requested an order for HMS with Drew Baird at Moon Audio, in Cary, NC, USA. Was told "We will add you to a folder and email you when Preorders can be made." Drew is a straight shooter, so, at least with this vendor in the USA, Pre-orders are not yet being taken. I expect that this means that BlueBird isn't taking Preorders yet. I've already waited > 1 y for this device, reading with great interest about the Blu2, but not wanting the CD player. Will enjoy listening to Innuos Zenith SE -> IsoRegen -> Dave -> Moon Audio Black Dragon cabled Focal Utopia while waiting. Sound quality already far surpasses anything I thought I'd be hearing short of live performance. Will buy this version knowing that 2 million FPGA taps will probably exceed this in the future. What an amazing time for digital audio!

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 34
Requested an order for HMS with Drew Baird at Moon Audio, in Cary, NC, USA. Was told "We will add you to a folder and email you when Preorders can be made." Drew is a straight shooter, so, at least with this vendor in the USA, Pre-orders are not yet being taken. I expect that this means that BlueBird isn't taking Preorders yet. I've already waited > 1 y for this device, reading with great interest about the Blu2, but not wanting the CD player. Will enjoy listening to Innuos Zenith SE -> IsoRegen -> Dave -> Moon Audio Black Dragon cabled Focal Utopia while waiting. Sound quality already far surpasses anything I thought I'd be hearing short of live performance. Will buy this version knowing that 2 million FPGA taps will probably exceed this in the future. What an amazing time for digital audio!

My UK dealer has ordered 15 of the HMS. I emailed him at about 2pm the Saturday of CanJam and when he confimed my order he said I was number 4 of of those 15 so he may well have now sold those 15. There is some advantage to living in the UK.

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #12 of 34
Thanks, I have often seen positive user feedback about Moon Audio, so at least US enthusiasts should be OK.

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 34
I've been offered a blu mk2 new for £3500. Not really into CD's, so not sure I should go for the Blu, or wait for the HMS?

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 34
I've been offered a blu mk2 new for £3500. Not really into CD's, so not sure I should go for the Blu, or wait for the HMS?
A brand new Blu2,at less than half price - sounds too good to be true.
If the offer is genuine, then it makes both the MScaler and Blu2 the same price.
The MScaler has the benefit that it has better shielding (so you don't need to worry about adding ferrites to the BNC cables), plus has the volume controls for the yet to be released digital amplifiers.
The Blu2 has the CD transport, which Blu2 owners have described as providing the best CD based sound, that they have ever heard.
Rob Watts says that the core MScaler code is the same in both devices, so there is no differentiator there.
The Blu2 will match the DAVE looks better, but the DAVE can work with either the Blu2 or MScaler.

So the functional differences are relatively small, and only you can decide whether those differences are important to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back