Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 17, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #20,521 of 22,463
I took the heat shrink covering off the the old cells removed from my Hugo 2. The cell is a Sanyo NCR18650BF and there is a cell protection circuit. I intend to reuse the cell protection board and remake the batteries, I just need a spot welder, heat shrink, cell end insulators and some nickel strip, no rush as the new ones should last at least two years anyway.

1637159154025.png

20211117_141134.jpg 20211117_141441.jpg

Nov 17, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #20,523 of 22,463
I took the heat shrink covering off the the old cells removed from my Hugo 2. The cell is a Sanyo NCR18650BF and there is a cell protection circuit. I intend to reuse the cell protection board and remake the batteries, I just need a spot welder, heat shrink, cell end insulators and some nickel strip, no rush as the new ones should last at least two years anyway.

1637159154025.png

20211117_141134.jpg 20211117_141441.jpg
So the new batteries you bought did not include this board? And what exactly does this board do? Protect batteries from overchagred or heat?

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #20,524 of 22,463
So the new batteries you bought did not include this board? And what exactly does this board do? Protect batteries from overchagred or heat?
Yes the new batteries were official Chord replacements and came with the protection board, exactly the same as the originals but were relatively expensive at £60 delivered for the pair.

The board is to prevent over charge/discharge and also limit current to safe levels.

I can get the same cells for around £6 each so a fair saving over the genuine ones but I do need to buy a spot welder, so not really a saving as such I just thought having a spot welder would be a good investment for other projects.

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #20,526 of 22,463
Nov 17, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #20,527 of 22,463
No problem, its not such a big deal replacing the batteries to be fair. That BMS device is not an exact match but I think it would work OK.

I'm not worried about the battery replacement. I'm terrified I might go off the deep end and create an Hugo2TT. I'm running Ultra capacitors 55X the size of TT2's Ultra Caps and all it takes is a JST 2-pin that I have in stock. I don't know if I can resist the temptation. Luckily the Hugo2 has been in storage a few years and I run in desktop mode. I plan to just Ultra Cap the 5V side in desktop mode. I don't want to touch the 2X3.3+V for Ultra Caps, but maybe one day around a Hugo4 release. 5V should be good for now.

The site has at least a dozen of that type of BMS. If you can spot the model no. pls post. The link I sent was: Model: PCB-S1A3BK10

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #20,528 of 22,463
I'm not worried about the battery replacement. I'm terrified I might go off the deep end and create an Hugo2TT. I'm running Ultra capacitors 55X the size of TT2's Ultra Caps and all it takes is a JST 2-pin that I have in stock. I don't know if I can resist the temptation. Luckily the Hugo2 has been in storage a few years and I run in desktop mode. I plan to just Ultra Cap the 5V side in desktop mode. I don't want to touch the 2X3.3+V for Ultra Caps, but maybe one day around a Hugo4 release. 5V should be good for now.

The site has at least a dozen of that type of BMS. If you can spot the model no. pls post. The link I sent was: Model: PCB-S1A3BK10
Sounds like a cool experiment.

The only number I can find on it is FDC-18-1. There seems to be two 8205A MOSFETS on it is that helps.

Here is a better picture of the component side, there is nothing on the back except for the above part number.

20211117_182809.jpg

Nov 17, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #20,529 of 22,463
Sounds like a cool experiment.

The only number I can find on it is FDC-18-1. There seems to be two 8205A MOSFETS on it is that helps.

Here is a better picture of the component side, there is nothing on the back except for the above part number.

Thanks for making an effort to check. All I can find is this:

mos.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122182053364?hash=item1c729e2df4:g:MNoAAOSwzaJYANqY

If I can find something more specific I'll post end of the month since I'm not a reg here.

Yeah, for me the experiment is holy grail of power for audio. LPS and Battery Packs you are only as good as your regulator. So the regulator is always the bottleneck. LPS are RFI super spreaders and battery is super slow energy.

In the long run the experiment should pay off. batteries are around 3000 cycles while ultra caps are 1 million cycles.

So clean power in the super low milliohms with no bottlenecks.

The HugoTT is said to be marginally ahead of the Hugo2, so I wonder if it's due to the Ultra Caps. If you Ultra Cap the Hugo2, does it push ahead of the HugoTT? But I just want to use for practical purposes like super quiet desktop mode.

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #20,530 of 22,463
Can anyone tell me what’s the best way to connect the Chord Hugo 2 to an iPhone or an iPad with lightning port?I own an apple lightning to usb 3 camera adapter but I’m not sure whether that’s the best option.Will using using a micro usb to type c adapter like this (see image) and connecting a DDHifi MFi 06 lightning to type c cable (really high quality cable) to it be the best option to connect the Hugo 2 to an ios device?A micro usb to type c adapter similar to this won’t compromise the audio quality,right?

Personally… a 2Go and Roon

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #20,532 of 22,463
Nov 23, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #20,534 of 22,463
Has anyone recently had their Hugo 2 serviced or sent for repair to Chord UK from EU, my Hugo 2 is having issues and I am based in Netherlands but apparently due to Brexit it's not possible to send it to UK due to customs and taxes and I have been told to contact medientechnik-bentlage.de in Germany I tried to call them several times no one speak English and they are not responding to my email.

Very frustrating situation Chord was know for their legendary support but now due to Brexit I am wondering in EU we will not get same sort of experience we were used to 😂

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #20,535 of 22,463
Has anyone recently had their Hugo 2 serviced or sent for repair to Chord UK from EU, my Hugo 2 is having issues and I am based in Netherlands but apparently due to Brexit it's not possible to send it to UK due to customs and taxes and I have been told to contact medientechnik-bentlage.de in Germany I tried to call them several times no one speak English and they are not responding to my email.

Very frustrating situation Chord was know for their legendary support but now due to Brexit I am wondering in EU we will not get same sort of experience we were used to 😂

My TT2 went to Medientechnik via my local audio shop where I bought it from. I would go that route. If you bought it online, try in any case to go to your local Chord dealer and see if they can help you. You might want to establish a relationship there anyway. At the prices Chord gear is at, in my experience it's worth going through the local dealer for discounts and service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back