Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 16, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #20,266 of 22,467
Got the Hugo2 streaming Tidal HiFi, bit perfect via UAPP to my Focal Stellia (Neotech usb cablel).
Really like the sound quality.
The only issue through, I cannot sense or precieve, any contribution or effect of neither the Filters nor the Cross feed buttons.
Is there a method or specific music pieces that will enable me to witness the effects of tunning the Filters and Cross feed buttons?

Thanks
Filters are very subtle, while to my ears, X-Fade is fairly noticeable.

Here's something I posted soon after getting my H2

Might be interesting, or might just apply to my H2 ==> HEKse system.

FYI, I would say that the H2 filters are closer to 'hmmm, interesting but subtle difference' than to 'hmmm, I can't hear that any of these filters make a difference'. Most systems I've listened to fall into the latter category (either can't or can barely hear any effect from the filters).

Aug 16, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #20,267 of 22,467
The green filter does a good job of subtly rolling off the highs and reducing glare for some headphones/speakers and some music without sacrificing resolution. The orange filter changes the sound the most to my ear, definitely tilts the whole signature warmer, but also is less resolving, IMO. I have not yet found a need for the crossfeed, TBH. I guess I just don't listen to music that needs it very often.

I still very much appreciate what the Hugo 2 offers for its price and form factor.

EDIT: Adding this pic just because:

1629158232099.png

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #20,268 of 22,467
With regard to the Hugo 2 Filters, the instruction manual says “HF filter is optimised
for DSD playback.” I was wondering, which filter should be chosen for DSD playback? Filter 2? Either Filter 2 or 4? I’m not sure.

Also, how do these filters operate to optimise DSD playback? Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #20,269 of 22,467
With regard to the Hugo 2 Filters, the instruction manual says “HF filter is optimised
for DSD playback.” I was wondering, which filter should be chosen for DSD playback? Filter 2? Either Filter 2 or 4? I’m not sure.

Also, how do these filters operate to optimise DSD playback? Thanks.
I must have missed that when I proof read the manual. It should read that the HF filter is mostly for HD sources - so anything above 48k PCM and DSD. I recommend filter 2 for both DSD and all PCM, but the benefits at 44.1k is smaller - it's the higher sample rates where the bigger benefits come into play.

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #20,270 of 22,467
I must have missed that when I proof read the manual. It should read that the HF filter is mostly for HD sources - so anything above 48k PCM and DSD. I recommend filter 2 for both DSD and all PCM, but the benefits at 44.1k is smaller - it's the higher sample rates where the bigger benefits come into play.
Got it thanks for the clarification.

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #20,271 of 22,467
Does anyone have issues with the Hugo 2 when connected to M1 equipped MacBooks when listening to Tidal? For some reason the Tidal desktop app keeps reverting the Hugo 2 Settings back for the "Force volume" and "Use exclusive mode" options after a short period of time. I never use to have this issue with my 2017 MacBook but I am uncertain if this started before or after I got the M1 equipped one.

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #20,272 of 22,467
Does anyone have issues with the Hugo 2 when connected to M1 equipped MacBooks when listening to Tidal? For some reason the Tidal desktop app keeps reverting the Hugo 2 Settings back for the "Force volume" and "Use exclusive mode" options after a short period of time. I never use to have this issue with my 2017 MacBook but I am uncertain if this started before or after I got the M1 equipped one.
Turn off volume normalization in tidal settings, should help

Aug 21, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #20,274 of 22,467
Filters were quite noticeable. Once you know what to listen to. Depends on your sensitivity to the change. Neutral is what it is. I find it has the best detail and neutrality but can be a tad bright with some pairings.

The green filter rolls off the top end brightness but I think it also add a very subtle weight to the mids. I preferred it with Utopia until I rolled cables to the Lazuli Ref plus.

I don’t like the warm filter. I find it loses a tad of clarity and sounds a little muddy with the warmth boost. It’s not my thing.

This is from memory so I reserve the right to be corrected

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #20,275 of 22,467
Filters were quite noticeable. Once you know what to listen to. Depends on your sensitivity to the change. Neutral is what it is. I find it has the best detail and neutrality but can be a tad bright with some pairings.

The green filter rolls off the top end brightness but I think it also add a very subtle weight to the mids. I preferred it with Utopia until I rolled cables to the Lazuli Ref plus.

I don’t like the warm filter. I find it loses a tad of clarity and sounds a little muddy with the warmth boost. It’s not my thing.

This is from memory so I reserve the right to be corrected

I too have used the neutral 99.9% of time with my Utopia. Honestly, I don't notice any appreciable difference between white and green, but possibly the music I listen to or my ears insensitivity to high frequencies. Don't know.

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #20,276 of 22,467
Hey folks! I'm selling off my desktop DAC/AMP (topping A90 and Schiit Modi Multibit) and want something transportable that sounds analog and smooth yet super resolving and can drive anything from my U12T to a potential LCD-4 I might get in the near future. I'm thinking of getting a used Chord Hugo 2. I want something more resolving than the iFi IDSD signature, and was looking at just DAPs but they don't fit the bill unfortunately. I'm going to use my iPhone 11 and laptop as the source.

Would this set up be a wise one?

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #20,277 of 22,467
I’m not convinced H2 will drive LCD-4 to fill potential. LCD 4Z perhaps. Analog is not what I would describe the H2. it’s a solid state DAC through and through so I’m not sure whether your perception of analogue differs to mine.

others will chime in. Portable, super resolving and drive everything - usually pick 2 (portable being the kicker)

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #20,278 of 22,467
Hey folks! I'm selling off my desktop DAC/AMP (topping A90 and Schiit Modi Multibit) and want something transportable that sounds analog and smooth yet super resolving and can drive anything from my U12T to a potential LCD-4 I might get in the near future. I'm thinking of getting a used Chord Hugo 2. I want something more resolving than the iFi IDSD signature, and was looking at just DAPs but they don't fit the bill unfortunately. I'm going to use my iPhone 11 and laptop as the source.

You are asking too simple a question, because you don't stipulate all your criteria.
What is 'wise' from a sound quality point of view, could be less wise from a budget point of view, or portability point of view, etc.
There are plenty of posters delighted to help you, but they need a bit more guidance of what you consider the criteria that they should consider.
I'm not trying to create a row, but merely trying to help you get the answer that you need.
:relaxed:

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #20,279 of 22,467

"A potential 4z"

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #20,280 of 22,467
Okay my HPs currently are the Abyss Diana V2, Audeze LCD 2 and ZMF Atticus. My IEMs are u12t and Moondrop blessing 2's. My budget is $1300. I'm considering the Kann Alpha as an alternative option. I can't stand harsh or bright treble. I need something that sounds analog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back