Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #17,716 of 22,467
Widell, Many thanks your very helpful suggestions. I already own a USB anti-jitter device, an M2Tech HiFace2 USB-A to Coax dongle, which is in use right at this moment on my notoriously jittery ancient (2006) iMac, which has been demoted to my bedroom as a TV and Radio, feeding my bedroom audio system. My bedroom system uses an Audiolabs M-DAC, which does not have brilliant re-clocking and/or jitter locking and the HiFace2 improved the sound on that quite a lot, when listening to digital radio streaming from the iMac. I foresee a couple of things. The Jitterbug, like the HiFace2 is USB-A, whereas my 2016 MacBook Pro is solely USB-C. This would mean introducing another dongle into the system, a USB-C to USB-A adapter, with the risk of introducing additional noise and/or signal degradation. I will give it all a try with my my USB-A M2Tech HiFace anti-jitter dongle, to see if there is any improvement. Meantime I have asked AudioQuest if they are intending to bring out a USB-C version of the Jitterbug in the near future. Given that the Hugo 2 is a DAC of considerably higher quality and more modern than the M-DAC, I would be surprised if it did not already include a satisfactory circuit for re-clocking and jitter-locking a USB PCM stream, which would render an external device such as either the Jititerbug or Hiface2, redundant. What do you think?

Wilson
You might be right that CH2 has low jitter protection and low noise, do not think the USB is asynchronous though if my memory serves me, however, I am not a techie at all, but I can hear a difference using the AQ Jitterbug with my old MBP from both TIDAL/QOBUS, so depending on the recording I may choose to use it or not.

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #17,717 of 22,467
not bitching--observing. Chord hasn't promised anything to anyone, other than some mentions of a developing future product called "2Go" and some pictures.

actually... a bit more than that from @Mojo ideas Nov 9 post. A commitment to release. Soon. I look forward to it being ready for the wild. The @ChordElectronics Poly, for me, is great now it is 2.0

Jan 3, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #17,720 of 22,467
agreed on both.
I’m am though and so are Rob, Colin, Tom, and Matt from Chordelectronics as well . We will all be in New York for Can Jam in February for some reason not just the Jazz and the cwoffee and best pastrami on rye. We hope that you will all enjoy the show too ? Happy New Year to all.

Jan 3, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #17,721 of 22,467
I’m am though and so are Rob, Colin, Tom, and Matt from Chordelectronics as well . We will all be in New York for Can Jam in February for some reason not just the Jazz and the cwoffee and best pastrami on rye. We hope that you will all enjoy the show too ? Happy New Year to all.
And presumably not for the weather! I assume 2go is a given but no use to us Mojopoly users. I'm hoping for a matching desktop streamer for my Qutest. My friendly Chord dealer is voting for an upmarket version with mscaler. Having sweated blood over Poly it would be nice roll out the benefits to suit a range of users. Good luck for whatever happens in NY, though

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #17,722 of 22,467
after everyone bitched and moaned about Poly not being ready for prime-time, it's amazing that you impatient people can't sit and just wait until 2Go is properly ready to be announced. "moving on"? lol

do you think Chord is making you wait on purpose other than making sure not to repeat the Poly fiasco?

some of you maniacs cannot be pleased.

I think Chord is not making us wait on purpose but still there will be a launch fiasco lol

I wish they could just give us something. “It will launched in 2032” is still better than saying anything at all.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #17,723 of 22,467

Looking forward to what @Mojo ideas @Matt Bartlett @Rob Watts @ChordElectronics will be bring us in 2020. Firmware. Software. Hardware.

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #17,724 of 22,467
I think Chord is not making us wait on purpose but still there will be a launch fiasco lol

I wish they could just give us something. “It will launched in 2032” is still better than saying anything at all.

Gents,
Let's see what is being released and developed, we have the bargaining power we choose what to purchase whatever fits our needs and wants, and even though I will Love to own 2GO perfectly matching my CH2 (never bothered with Poly idea) let's await patiently (which we supporters have done more than normal...) Chord have always tried to provide their best as a bespoke high-end audiophile company compared to many other giants...and always active on this forum and taking hints and points going forward...

Wow.. above looks like a sales pitch, it is not, let's be patient..myself holding off potential Roon Nucleus+ or go no Roon using CH2 route etc...CH2 is great.....and it is our point to be heard what we want the future of Headf-Fi and streaming to be....

Sorry did not mean above to become so pretentious......

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #17,725 of 22,467
Gents,
Let's see what is being released and developed, we have the bargaining power we choose what to purchase whatever fits our needs and wants, and even though I will Love to own 2GO perfectly matching my CH2 (never bothered with Poly idea) let's await patiently (which we supporters have done more than normal...) Chord have always tried to provide their best as a bespoke high-end audiophile company compared to many other giants...and always active on this forum and taking hints and points going forward...

Wow.. above looks like a sales pitch, it is not, let's be patient..myself holding off potential Roon Nucleus+ or go no Roon using CH2 route etc...CH2 is great.....and it is our point to be heard what we want the future of Headf-Fi and streaming to be....

Sorry did not mean above to become so pretentious......
Word!

Jan 4, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #17,727 of 22,467
Sorry for the off topic, but anybody want to get rid of Hugo 2 stock usb cable, please pm me because I'm looking for one. Thanks.

Perhaps this is sacrilege. Since the USB cable is used either to power the unit or asynchronously get digital data from a source, i believe you can use any cable, like from Amazon. The sq should not be affected.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #17,728 of 22,467
Cables make a difference folks. I hate to break it to you. You use any old cable, then be prepared to pay the price.

You've already shelled out a ridiculous amount of money for a bespoke converter device and amp. Why pay the minimum on cheap cables ? Buy something commensurate and designed by people that care, for audio.

Jan 5, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #17,729 of 22,467
It was hard to me to find a mini USB to micro USB for my tablet and a mini USB to type C for my phone and finally found them in amazon.com, and really cheap to be honest. Didnt want to spend a lot of money in cables and add a really cheap adaptor in the chain, that makes no sense to me. For the moment both work well and Im happy didnt spend thousands on audioquest cables, what I was going to do in the begining.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #17,730 of 22,467
I am far from convinced that cables make a great difference for digital signals. 1's are 1's and 0's are 0's. It's not like analogue signals. As long as there is no actual corruption of the signal and the screening is adequate, cheapish cables work just fine.

I found that to my considerable surprise, ATC speakers are very cable sensitive. The first pair I got sounded not good with Chord Silver Screen cables, bright enough to make my ears bleed. I was about to change the speakers for a pair of Vienna Haydn, when as a last resort I tried a borrowed pair of Rivercables. The difference was very marked and I immediately ordered two sets one for my SCM 19's in the UK and the other for the pair of SCM 40-2 I had on order for France. They not only sound good but look good and are beautifully made, using Nakamichi locking banana plugs. As a bonus they are not even too expensive. I believe they are out of production at the moment, while the company updates their range.

Wilson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back