Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #17,701 of 22,467
I have a very quick reply from AudioQuest. They do not currently make a USB-C version of their Jitterbug but may do in the future as the USB-C market matures. I I would have thought it was pretty mature already, with many companies such as Samsung and Amazon, switching from the fragile and fiddly micro or mini USB to the more robust and orientation neutral USB-C. I believe Apple may also switch next year, from the Lightning connector to USB-C on iOS devices.

Some sources claim that the USB input on the Hugo 2 is asynchronous, which would make any anti-jitter or re-clocking device unnecessary. The Hugo 1 had two USB inputs a synchronous one and an asynchronous one but the Hugo 2 has only a single USB input, unless it auto-switches internally on detecting the signal. I am outputting at 192kHz/32 bit from my MBP to the Hugo 2 to cope with the occasional HD Tracks studio grade files I have.

Wilson

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #17,702 of 22,467
The silence on the subject on Chord's part really isn't helping. My personal interest in this potential new product piqued a few months ago but has waned somewhat due to acquiring other gear. Knowing that the 2Go was coming via an official announcement would have kept me waiting a little longer.

Jan 3, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #17,703 of 22,467
The silence on the subject on Chord's part really isn't helping. My personal interest in this potential new product piqued a few months ago but has waned somewhat due to acquiring other gear. Knowing that the 2Go was coming via an official announcement would have kept me waiting a little longer.

I have to agree with you, why no info Chord? I moved on too, for me at least, 2Go has missed the boat.

IMG_4095b.jpg

Jan 3, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #17,704 of 22,467
A slight aside.

I am a fan of Chord Electronics having had both a Hugo and a currently a Hugo2. I felt both delivered game changing elements of sonic performance when I upgraded to the Hugo and then to the Hugo2. And I continue to love my Hugo2.

I happened to be browsing YouTube and came across a review for one of the Denafrips DACS and then did some research into RtoR DAC chips, which then led me onto the well respected retro Philips TDA1541 DAC chip famous for its analogue sound.

And I fancied trying one out. I did lots of research and came across a Marantz PM75 amplifier which has a DAC as well and one of those TDA1541A chips, well actually a Silver crown version , (which is one off the best double crown version). I found one to by and now have had it a couple of weeks.

Wow it does sound good, well very good actually . Very musical and non fatiguing into my stereo speakers.

I have been doing a comparison with my Hugo2 feeding the CD input of the Marantz versus the DAC input of the Marantz itself.

The Hugo2 may just have it a regards separation, detail and smoothness but to my ears there isn’t much in it and certainly with the Marantz being six to seven times cheaper , I know which one is better value.

It is my first introduction to old fashioned multibit DAC technology. It may not have the specs of modern DACs but I am very really very impressed by the liquid musicality (and truly analogue-like sound ) listening for example to Vivaldi concertos ( those soaring violins ........) or Led Zep’s Dazed and Confused from How the West was One.

I am now thinking about upgrading some of the capacitors on the Marantz to improve the sound, but that is for another thread.

For those who are interested , you can pick up CD players with TDA1541 chips in for £30 onwards .......well worth a punt.
Most people confuse the distortion of r2r chips with liquid smoothness specially if the distortion is in the mid frequencies band.
A slight aside.

I am a fan of Chord Electronics having had both a Hugo and a currently a Hugo2. I felt both delivered game changing elements of sonic performance when I upgraded to the Hugo and then to the Hugo2. And I continue to love my Hugo2.

I happened to be browsing YouTube and came across a review for one of the Denafrips DACS and then did some research into RtoR DAC chips, which then led me onto the well respected retro Philips TDA1541 DAC chip famous for its analogue sound.

And I fancied trying one out. I did lots of research and came across a Marantz PM75 amplifier which has a DAC as well and one of those TDA1541A chips, well actually a Silver crown version , (which is one off the best double crown version). I found one to by and now have had it a couple of weeks.

Wow it does sound good, well very good actually . Very musical and non fatiguing into my stereo speakers.

I have been doing a comparison with my Hugo2 feeding the CD input of the Marantz versus the DAC input of the Marantz itself.

The Hugo2 may just have it a regards separation, detail and smoothness but to my ears there isn’t much in it and certainly with the Marantz being six to seven times cheaper , I know which one is better value.

It is my first introduction to old fashioned multibit DAC technology. It may not have the specs of modern DACs but I am very really very impressed by the liquid musicality (and truly analogue-like sound ) listening for example to Vivaldi concertos ( those soaring violins ........) or Led Zep’s Dazed and Confused from How the West was One.

I am now thinking about upgrading some of the capacitors on the Marantz to improve the sound, but that is for another thread.

For those who are interested , you can pick up CD players with TDA1541 chips in for £30 onwards .......well worth a punt.
R2R chips have distortion which is confined in the audible band i think which makes them sound so called liquid. Hugo 2 with much better filtering of artefacts has lot more correct depth perception.

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #17,706 of 22,467
My personal interest waned a year ago.

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #17,707 of 22,467
after everyone bitched and moaned about Poly not being ready for prime-time, it's amazing that you impatient people can't sit and just wait until 2Go is properly ready to be announced. "moving on"? lol

do you think Chord is making you wait on purpose other than making sure not to repeat the Poly fiasco?

some of you maniacs cannot be pleased.

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #17,708 of 22,467
after everyone bitched and moaned about Poly not being ready for prime-time, it's amazing that you impatient people can't sit and just wait until 2Go is properly ready to be announced. "moving on"? lol

do you think Chord is making you wait on purpose other than making sure not to repeat the Poly fiasco?

some of you maniacs cannot be pleased.

lol, says the guy who's bitching about the bitching.

They can take as long as they want to get right what should've been right in the first place (with Poly). People are simply voicing the fact that they waited, and waited, and eventually decided to stop waiting and purchase something else.

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #17,709 of 22,467
lol, says the guy who's bitching about the bitching.

They can take as long as they want to get right what should've been right in the first place (with Poly). People are simply voicing the fact that they waited, and waited, and eventually decided to stop waiting and purchase something else.

not bitching--observing. Chord hasn't promised anything to anyone, other than some mentions of a developing future product called "2Go" and some pictures.

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #17,710 of 22,467
not bitching--observing. Chord hasn't promised anything to anyone, other than some mentions of a developing future product called "2Go" and some pictures.

Uh ok, then I guess the rest of the people weren't bitching either, they were simply "observing", such as yourself. Never said Chord promised anyone anything.

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #17,711 of 22,467
Most people confuse the distortion of r2r chips with liquid smoothness specially if the distortion is in the mid frequencies band.

R2R chips have distortion which is confined in the audible band i think which makes them sound so called liquid. Hugo 2 with much better filtering of artefacts has lot more correct depth perception.

I wouldn’t disagree with your assessment but does it matter they sound good ?

Out of interest wouldn’t your ‘argument’ also dismiss the musical value of Tubes/Valves as they also add distortion into the mix ?

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #17,712 of 22,467

Two years now though, the only other product I can remember that took longer from first announcement to availability was the Sinclair QL in 1981. :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #17,713 of 22,467
Two years now though, the only other product I can remember that took longer from first announcement to availability was the Sinclair QL in 1981. :)
I owned one of those!!

Jan 3, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #17,715 of 22,467
It was less in the states. Didn't know it but i was rich!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back