Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 12, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #17,193 of 22,465
As a Roon endpoint maybe. That is bulletproof on the Poly. DLNA and the non Chord apps are just too flaky.

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #17,195 of 22,465
It will be a lot more expensive then poly. Def more than £1200.

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #17,196 of 22,465
It happened that i ordered Hugo2 in silver :-D Mojopoly with case is up for sale if anyone interested.
My question, whats the best source for hugo2? I know 2go would be probably the best, but what other option you use? PC/MAC, android/iphone?. Something other? Have there been a comparison? Thank you.

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #17,197 of 22,465
It happened that i ordered Hugo2 in silver :-D Mojopoly with case is up for sale if anyone interested.
My question, whats the best source for hugo2? I know 2go would be probably the best, but what other option you use? PC/MAC, android/iphone?. Something other? Have there been a comparison? Thank you.

I would keep the MojoPoly, just in case the Hugo 2 ever went wrong and needed to go for repair. Or for use out of the house.

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #17,198 of 22,465

I personally use my iPhone for the sheer convenience. iPhones tend to have fewer issues with USB audio devices but then you have to use the stupid CCK. I’ve also used a Sony Z5 Compact with Velcro to attach. This works well because it is roughly the right size. Also the FiiO M11 is an excellent option as side-by-side it looks really good with the Hugo 2. However do note you don’t have access to the Play Store which means no UAPP. This doesn’t matter so much for the FiiO Music app which handles USB audio devices properly, but apps like Tidal get stuck with Android’s SRC.

Oct 12, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #17,199 of 22,465
any optical source.

Oct 12, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #17,200 of 22,465
I'd have to say that if you're a fan of the HD800 FR/tonality but want a little more meat on the bones then Utopia is a great choice. It loses a bit on staging size, but what it lacks there it makes up for in every other aspect (IMO).

Love my HD800,natural, soundstage, etc but occasion only which have abit more body is with certain songs what alternativ top 5 over ear headphones wich beats theHD800

Oct 13, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #17,201 of 22,465
@Rob Watts enjoying the Hugo 2 a lot. Something I've noticed is it capability of dealing with highly compressed/limited music (EDM etc) without sounding fatiguing much better than other DACs/DAPs. Just a thought I had, but does the extreme oversampling help with intersample clipping?

Oct 14, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #17,203 of 22,465
@Rob Watts enjoying the Hugo 2 a lot. Something I've noticed is it capability of dealing with highly compressed/limited music (EDM etc) without sounding fatiguing much better than other DACs/DAPs. Just a thought I had, but does the extreme oversampling help with intersample clipping?

Right from the start, all my WTA filters have a built in overload to cover Gibbs overshoot, and inter-sample overloads - any half competent designer would include it - having said that, the changes you observe are due to many other things - sometimes extremely subtle and small changes. It's all about minimizing the errors that degrade the ability for the brain to separate instruments out - and there are countless ways where instrument separation and focus can get degraded.

Happy listening Rob

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #17,204 of 22,465
I recently picked up a hugo2 for portable use about the house with my phone as source (via tidal offline at the highest setting through USB). Works absolutely fine and sounds great. However when I use the SP1000m as source (also via offline tidal at the highest settings through USB) it sounds noticeably better. A tad annoying because I was going to sell the SP1000m! Why would there be such a significant difference? What is it about the DAP which makes it better (or the phone which makes it worse!)? I'd be keen to know for future pairings...

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #17,205 of 22,465
'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back