Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 27, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #16,216 of 22,465
If I understand ifi correctly, the Groundhog is designed to work if humming increases when touching — they call it their “touch test” . In our cases, the humming stops when touching the Hugo. Would the same cure work?

Cheers!
I had the same issue with a streamer, where the humming stopped when touching the case. The Groundhog solved the issue for me.

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #16,218 of 22,465
With the Jitterbug @Triode User kindly loaned me heading back his way I'm looking to buy one for myself. I've noticed that there is also the iSilencer from iFi on the market and I'm wondering if anybody has experience of the two and know which is the better product, if either? The iSilencer is £15 more expensive.

Apr 28, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #16,219 of 22,465
i want to do so but trying to justify the extra $1000 from Qutest since they both share the same chip but one doesn't have an amp

They both have amps in a sense and essentially the same one. The chip IS the amp. The difference is that Chord, in their infinite wisdom, decided not to have a proper way to control the output level on the Qutest. It just has 3 fixed levels. I suppose they saved a few pounds per unit by doing that... The Hugo2 is probably still an ok buy at the price it is at or you could try getting one used.

"Whichever input path you choose, the output is through a pair of RCAs. Chord anticipates the Qutest being paired with a wide range of pre-amplification, so has made the output stage variable.
Hold down both the input and filter buttons during the first 16 seconds after the Qutest has powered up - then you can select 1V (red), 2V (green) or 3V (blue)."

https://www.whathifi.com/chord/qutest/review

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #16,220 of 22,465
They both have amps in a sense and essentially the same one. The chip IS the amp. The difference is that Chord, in their infinite wisdom, decided not to have a proper way to control the output level on the Qutest. It just has 3 fixed levels. I suppose the saved a few pounds per unit by doing that... The Hugo2 is probably still an ok buy at the price it is at or you could try getting one used.

"Whichever input path you choose, the output is through a pair of RCAs. Chord anticipates the Qutest being paired with a wide range of pre-amplification, so has made the output stage variable.
Hold down both the input and filter buttons during the first 16 seconds after the Qutest has powered up - then you can select 1V (red), 2V (green) or 3V (blue)."

https://www.whathifi.com/chord/qutest/review

Perhaps the extra $1000 might just be worthwhile considering portability and convenience

scratches head*

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #16,222 of 22,465
Perhaps the extra $1000 might just be worthwhile considering portability and convenience

scratches head*
FWIW, I don't regret the H2 over a Qutest. The Qutest can be easily used in a speaker system, but it would be harder to employ as a portable or even stationary HP system without an extra amp. For the extra money, the Hugo2 is a better all-rounder. And are you sure the H2 would be $1,000 more. I figured maybe $600.00 or so. But, up to you, of course.

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #16,223 of 22,465
FWIW, I don't regret the H2 over a Qutest. The Qutest can be easily used in a speaker system, but it would be harder to employ as a portable or even stationary HP system without an extra amp. For the extra money, the Hugo2 is a better all-rounder. And are you sure the H2 would be $1,000 more. I figured maybe $600.00 or so. But, up to you, of course.

my apologies,

$1000 in my currency (SGD)

Apr 29, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #16,226 of 22,465
No experience with the Qutest but when pondering upgrading Mojo it was because Hugo 2 and Qutest+amp and I have no regrets having chosen Hugo 2. I am sure I could saved a little, but the JDS Atom was not available in the UK and I wasn't prepared to buy an amp that I wasn't sure measured impeccably, irrelevant of price.

Whereas I know Hugo 2's amp section does.

Apr 29, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #16,227 of 22,465
Hahaha

My dream setup is TT2 + M Scaler

Or maybe just M Scaler with Hugo 2
If I had it to do again, or if the timing was right, I would have gone for the TT2 as well. Maybe holding on to that 2,800 longer. The TT1 had the same taps and other stuff of the hugo, so I suspected the TT2 would just be a bigger Hugo2. But, twice the number of taps, plus a lot more power to give my LCD-X a bit of a kick up the scale would have been great. But the ol' Hugo2 is such a big leap SQ=wise over the H1, that I'm happy with it.

Apr 29, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #16,228 of 22,465
Hugo 2 for headphones no debate.

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #16,229 of 22,465
If I had it to do again, or if the timing was right, I would have gone for the TT2 as well. Maybe holding on to that 2,800 longer. The TT1 had the same taps and other stuff of the hugo, so I suspected the TT2 would just be a bigger Hugo2. But, twice the number of taps, plus a lot more power to give my LCD-X a bit of a kick up the scale would have been great. But the ol' Hugo2 is such a big leap SQ=wise over the H1, that I'm happy with it.

Hmm, then I should reconsider buying Hugo 2 now since I have Mojo but only JDS Atom

Unless LCD X will do fine with merely > 1W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back