Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 24, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #15,481 of 22,433
What's wrong with Foobar? I also refuse migrating to streaming. I prefer my FLAC albums.
I am red/green colour blind and have no problems with Chord DAC's colours btw. :)

That's good news.

I tried Foobar, and you had to do stuff with lines of code to include bit-prefect. Similarly you had to do all sorts to set up appearance. I couldn't even use the library in it. I could only ever get it to play one album. It's not that using it is not good, it just isn't for me. 'Doff hat' to those who master it.

Although, I can't understand why anyone would question that it is a nightmare to use. It's not intuitive, that's for sure. Similarly with EAC FLAC ripper. I am not even going to attempt to try configure that again on my new PC. (Even though it's free. It's because it took me more than a year to get it going last time.) Just going to buy dBPoweramp, as it's said it's a breeze to use.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #15,482 of 22,433
I just googled for that, and can't find anything. Maybe you could explain what you mean.

However you could say the same for Tidal and Jay-Z ownership and wearing of a Five Percent Nation medallion. Not like it stops Head-Fiers using Tidal and praising it though. (I won't use Tidal.) Or you could say Chord devices are potentially colour-blind people unfriendly. I say potentially because I assume colour blind folk can learn the colours, compared with the manual guide.

For me JRiver makes music playing easier and better than alternatives. I need simple to use bit-perfect use. Foobar is a nightmare, otherwise I would have used that, since it's free. I have upgraded my version of JRiver since being a Head-Fier, and using Chord products. Good job too because it has proved invaluable, in other areas rather than just music playback.
As for colourblind, I see red when I hear the name, JRiver. I wrote to the head Wizard about his software being unusable for blind products of accessability. In so many words, he said 'don't bother me; your business is unneeded.' and unfortunately, the download SW for HDTracks and Acoustic sounds is JRiver software.
It's an issue I've gone on about ad-nausium in the past. But, when I hear that name, something inside goes spung!

Feb 24, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #15,483 of 22,433
That's good news.

I tried Foobar, and you had to do stuff with lines of code to include bit-prefect. Similarly you had to do all sorts to set up appearance. I couldn't even use the library in it. I could only ever get it to play one album. It's not that using it is not good, it just isn't for me. 'Doff hat' to those who master it.

Although, I can't understand why anyone would question that it is a nightmare to use. It's not intuitive, that's for sure. Similarly with EAC FLAC ripper. I am not even going to attempt to try configure that again on my new PC. (Even though it's free. It's because it took me more than a year to get it going last time.) Just going to buy dBPoweramp, as it's said it's a breeze to use.
I must say that I love
DBPowerAmp and FB2K is a snap. I was hoping Audirvana for Windows would maybe work on W7. But alas, no.

Feb 25, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #15,484 of 22,433
Cool there are others in here with the same experience. I have done a lot of A/B-ing this weekend, going back and forth between only CMA600i, Hugo2+600i, Mojo+600i and the Chord units all by themselves. Almost exclusively listening through the Ether Flow.
I find that there is a noticeable difference between the 600i DAC and the Chord DACs. The Chords sound more open and dynamic, the Hugo2 even more so than the Mojo obviously. That being said I also enjoy the slightly smoother DAC of the 600i.
But the biggest difference comes when running the Hugo2 or Mojo through the 600i amp. I would describe it as everything I love with the Chord DACs with added punch and energy. It sounds so clean and powerful. Listening to hard rock and metal it´s like feeling the kick drum in my head. Perfect for planar magnetic headphones. I have done some listening with the Focal Clear too, and while the effect is very much noticeable I found the real magic in the Ether Flows with this setup.
It also makes it possible to tune the sound quite effectively. I have found going between the default line level setting on the Chords and 4 clicks down has a big influence on how energetically the music is presented. Great fun:L3000:
Hello, digging an old post...
I have a cma600i and my Hugo2 will arrive next week.
I am wondering which is the best way to connect the Chord H2 as a DAC only to the Questyle cma600i as a (headphone) amp only ?
Cma600i has only RCA as analog input, but what kind of connector did you use as output from Hugo 2 ? Will 3.5mm jack be ok ?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #15,485 of 22,433
I am wondering which is the best way to connect the Chord H2 as a DAC only to the Questyle cma600i as a (headphone) amp only ?
Cma600i has only RCA as analog input, but what kind of connector did you use as output from Hugo 2 ? Will 3.5mm jack be ok ?

Hugo 2 has RCA analog outs. You just set Hugo 2 to line level out mode. More details are in section 3 of the instructions in this link.

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Hugo-2-User-Manual.pdf

Feb 25, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #15,486 of 22,433
Hugo 2 has RCA analog outs. You just set Hugo 2 to line level out mode. More details are in section 3 of the instructions in this link.

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Hugo-2-User-Manual.pdf
So I will need a RCA to RCA cable...
I was hoping I could re-use the 3,5mm to RCA I used to connect DAP to cma600i when I wanted to bypass its DAC.
I suppose from your answer that the RCA out of the Hugo 2 is cleaner than the 3,5mm headphone out...

Feb 25, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #15,487 of 22,433
So I will need a RCA to RCA cable...
I was hoping I could re-use the 3,5mm to RCA I used to connect DAP to cma600i when I wanted to bypass its DAC.
I suppose from your answer that the RCA out of the Hugo 2 is cleaner than the 3,5mm headphone out...
The 3.5, 1/4, and RCA are the same quality, so you can use whatever you like.

Be mindful that if I remember correctly line level mode from the Hugo 2, Outputs at 3v which may be too much for some amps, the standard input voltage for an amp is 2v,
but you can always use the volume control to fine tune, line out mode just sets a volume equal to 3 volts,

and again all three outputs are from the same place so it doesn’t matter what you choose!

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #15,488 of 22,433
Great !
Thank you for your answer :)

Feb 25, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #15,489 of 22,433
any recommended micro usb to usb cable to use with hugo2 and my mac, or even better usb c to micro usb as my 2018 mac has no usb anymore, i guess with my 2018 my only option is connection with usb cables

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #15,490 of 22,433
any recommended micro usb to usb cable to use with hugo2 and my mac, or even better usb c to micro usb as my 2018 mac has no usb anymore, i guess with my 2018 my only option is connection with usb cables
I have been using my Curious Cable Hugo cable, I enjoy it.

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #15,491 of 22,433
I am using USB-C to micro USB cable from my Macbook Pro to H2, i can only listen to mono no stereo, i use the same cable with my Ipad and i receive stereo sound, i checked the midi Audio Devices setting from my MACOS Mojave, it is 2 ch 32-bit integer, What should be the problem?

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #15,493 of 22,433
I am using USB-C to micro USB cable from my Macbook Pro to H2, i can only listen to mono no stereo, i use the same cable with my Ipad and i receive stereo sound, i checked the midi Audio Devices setting from my MACOS Mojave, it is 2 ch 32-bit integer, What should be the problem?

can anyone maybe suggest a usb c to micro usb cable that works with macbook pro 2018

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #15,494 of 22,433

Hi! I´m just running a pretty standard RCA to 3,5mm cable, like others already have suggested. The combo sounds really brilliant. You have something to look forward to:)

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #15,495 of 22,433
can anyone maybe suggest a usb c to micro usb cable that works with macbook pro 2018

My recommendation would be to buy an adaptor, like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audioquest-USB-A-C-Adaptor/dp/B01ND0BBN4 and then to buy a Supra cable, terminated in micro USB. I imagine any adaptor will do, just avoid a cable adaptor and go for the stub type like linked. Aim for the shortest possible path.

Supra isn't the only choice of cable of course, but as you'll see from my recent posts in this thread, I regard it very, very highly. And it's cheap (relatively!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back