Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 26, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #15,197 of 22,460
What is the official chord useage for h2's analogue out? if it's not headphone amps/normal amps so must be direct to speakers maybe? why does h2 even have analogue out if any additional amplification adds distortion? what is the official chord case useage here?

The analogue out (RCA) is the same signal path as the headphone out. I'd guess they are there for convenience for different setups. There have been reports that the RCA out sounds better than the headphone out when using an adapter to drive headphones but I haven't tried it personally so I'm not sure what to think of such reports and will hold judgement. The same reasoning as why does the H2 have bluetooth when a wired connection is technically better? Convenience for different users.

No, it is equivalent to the line level output from any other dac. It can be used direct to speakers, but this use will have limitations, same as using any other line level out to drive speakers.In fact it is so limited that Chord is not likely to officially call this an output for directly driving speakers.

"why does h2 even have analogue out if any additional amplification adds distortion?" For the same reason any other dac has a line out. To feed an amplifier that will then drive speakers.

To speak to your comment @Hooster, the analogue out from the H2 delivers a lot of Current to drive transducers, more than a lot of stand alone headphone amps, while line-outs from most conventional DACs have very little Current to drive transducers, and they also expect a high impedance input on the amp side.

Sorry, can't compare apples and oranges, and Rob's designs aren't like conventional DAC/amp combos where the two are separate components. When it is said that the H2's analogue out - headphone or RCA - is 'like' the line-out of other DACs it's to emphasize the unique design with only one discrete analogue output stage that also includes the I/V conversion. Other DAC/amp combo's have four output stages including the I/V conversion from the DAC, the buffer, the filter, and the gain. As you can see the H2, and all of Rob's designs, cut a lot of fat from the analogue stage which results in much more fidelity (measurably closer to the original source). You can't cut the other stages from conventional DACs, but you can with Rob's Pulse Array design.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #15,198 of 22,460
If I wasn't PO'ed before, I certainly am now. After a morning of fruitless attempts to access various websites with visual security capcha restrictions, I attempted to submit a question to Chord about an apparent bug in their driver, causing FB2K to cut short any DSD file I play, due to the timer racing through the track at breakneck speed. It's got to be the Chord driver, as it moves at normal time when FB2k is focused on my internal SB card, which unfortunately, can't play DSD format. Chord's page jokingly tells you to fill in the following form, only not to provide said form.
It's a wonder I don't lose my vaunted patience more often. I'm home alone, so just had to tell someone how ridiculous the world is this morning.

Jan 26, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #15,199 of 22,460
If I wasn't PO'ed before, I certainly am now. After a morning of fruitless attempts to access various websites with visual security capcha restrictions, I attempted to submit a question to Chord about an apparent bug in their driver, causing FB2K to cut short any DSD file I play, due to the timer racing through the track at breakneck speed. It's got to be the Chord driver, as it moves at normal time when FB2k is focused on my internal SB card, which unfortunately, can't play DSD format. Chord's page jokingly tells you to fill in the following form, only not to provide said form.
It's a wonder I don't lose my vaunted patience more often. I'm home alone, so just had to tell someone how ridiculous the world is this morning.

I believe Chord's policy is to have dealers help you with this kind of issue, rather than you going to Chord. I think their whole sales/service model is based on that idea. Otherwise they would just sell their products direct, deal with service themselves and the money that currently goes to dealers would go to them and their customers, by making lower prices possible. (This, the fact that you can not buy from Chord direct but must go through a dealer, is my biggest peeve with Chord. Chord and their dealer in the country I live in have provided me with directly contradictory information, one of them is telling me a lie and I have no idea which.)

I may of course be completely wrong, but I think your dealer will be delighted to assist you.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #15,200 of 22,460
I believe Chord's policy is to have dealers help you with this kind of issue, rather than you going to Chord. I think their whole sales/service model is based on that idea. Otherwise they would just sell their products direct, deal with service themselves and the money that currently goes to dealers would go to them and their customers, by making lower prices possible. (This, the fact that you can not buy from Chord direct but must go through a dealer, is my biggest peeve with Chord. Chord and their dealer in the country I live in have provided me with directly contradictory information, one of them is telling me a lie and I have no idea which.)

I may of course be completely wrong, but I think your dealer will be delighted to assist you.
I have good relations with the dealer, tis true. I thought a possible SW issue might belong in the manufacturer's ballpark. It's strange that they offer a place to fill out a question form yet not have the actual form. And I'm reluctant but willing to ask Chord, as although they distain DSD, they provide for its use.
I just tried to install Signalist's HQ player, as I wanted to make sure it will operate with my screenreader. But it won't even run. And of course, JRiver is out.
I'm curious @Hooster; what is your dilemma btw Chord and your dealer? If you mentioned it, I'm afraid Iforgot.

Jan 26, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #15,202 of 22,460
I can tell that you are frustrated. I too find the visual security capcha frustrating when they ask one to select relevant pictures, but the pictures are so long distance, that it is difficult to be 100% sure whether one should click on the picture. Your post has highlighted to me that although I have frustrations, the situation is far more difficult if one is visually impaired. I know that @Matt Bartlett is in the US this weekend, but I do hope that when he is back in the UK, he can ask whether there is any issue with the Chord page, for instance maybe the web page code needs updating to include the 'alt text' used by screenreading software.
:slight_smile:

Jan 26, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #15,203 of 22,460

Hi @UELong and thanks to Mike for copying me in. I've checked the support page on our website and for me everything is working and the support form is visible. However I've logged a report with our web team to investigate. It's quite possible the site was undergoing maintenance and it was a temporary glitch.

DSD setup on FB2K is a bit of a pain and to be honest there are easier programs to use if you want DSD playback.
However assuming you have installed both the SACD and ASIO plugins for Foobar and have our ASIO driver installed everything should be ok. I've not come across any issues once all the Foobar setup is completed.
This article from the Audiostream website may help you troubleshoot the issue.
https://www.audiostream.com/content/how-play-dsd-file-using-foobar2000

If not and you are still having issues then you can always email support directly using the info@chordelectronics.co.uk email address.

I hope that helps to make your day a little better.

Matt

Jan 26, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #15,204 of 22,460
Hi @UELong and thanks to Mike for copying me in. I've checked the support page on our website and for me everything is working and the support form is visible. However I've logged a report with our web team to investigate. It's quite possible the site was undergoing maintenance and it was a temporary glitch.

DSD setup on FB2K is a bit of a pain and to be honest there are easier programs to use if you want DSD playback.
However assuming you have installed both the SACD and ASIO plugins for Foobar and have our ASIO driver installed everything should be ok. I've not come across any issues once all the Foobar setup is completed.
This article from the Audiostream website may help you troubleshoot the issue.
https://www.audiostream.com/content/how-play-dsd-file-using-foobar2000

If not and you are still having issues then you can always email support directly using the info@chordelectronics.co.uk email address.

I hope that helps to make your day a little better.

Matt
That certainly does brighten my day. And thanks for all your responses.
I'll check that link you posted. This glitch happens from time to time, and I hope I can resolve it; or at least, figure out why it occurs.

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #15,206 of 22,460
Chord sets up an MSRP, dealers sell at or below the MSRP depending on the dealer and product in question.

Thank you for that, so essentially if a dealer can sell at any price he likes at or below the MSRP? So, if Chord says that the dealer decides the price it is partly true and if a dealer says that Chord decides the price it is partly true. It kind of makes sense, but I still kind of feel lied to.

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #15,208 of 22,460
Thank you for that, so essentially if a dealer can sell at any price he likes at or below the MSRP? So, if Chord says that the dealer decides the price it is partly true and if a dealer says that Chord decides the price it is partly true. It kind of makes sense, but I still kind of feel lied to.

It's sort of a grey area if you know what I mean. if it helps, think of it as a little white lie:k701smile:

Not everyone haggles when buying audio gear, but those that do usually end up with a better price :wink:

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #15,210 of 22,460
Hello guys,
Please help me to figure out what has happened to my Hugo2 and its's charging mechanism :frowning2:

My H2 is 1Y old (mostly used as a standalone DAC). Recently I left it for 4 weeks, fully charged, not connected to power, no one was using it. When I came back I wanted to use my beloved DAC, and after connecting it to it's usual non-Chord 1,5A charger the following thing happens (instead of charging as usual): the device won't charge at all, power led indicator shows incoming current properly (1A / 2A), but soon after that (like 1-2s into the process of charging) the led color changes to blue-ish and the power led itself starts to go into (sic!) on/off cycle switching 10+ times per second, and it generates some noise during that process - like a broken transformer or somethign (I mean outside of the device, not in the audio chain). After that the led goes off for a few seconds, and the vicous cycle repeats itself. Nevertheless the device isn't charging as it used to!
For the last year I've been charging my H2 from 3 different non-Chord sources: laptop's USB, 1,5A Huawei charger, 2A+ Xiaomi charger. Only sometimes I've been using the Chord brand 2A charger. Everything was perfectly fine with all of them untill yesterday.
The only chargegr that actually works now is the Chord one. Any other (and I tested like 5 of them, including different USB cables and AC power sockets) leads my H2 into that vicious cycle of not charging the divice / fastly blinkind power led.

I would really like to understand what is going on here :frowning2:

I'm also afraid that my dealer is going to refuse my warranty claims, because, well - the original charger somehow works...

[problem solved]
For further reference: it was my fault, not Hugo's problem. Two out of my three USB power cables went south abouot the same time. One has a short circuit, and the other one (a new piece) didn't pass current sufficient for Hugo. Both cases result in symptoms as described in cited quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back