Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 3, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #14,687 of 22,467
Are you using WASAPI or are you letting Windows control the sample rate for the DAC?

I think I found the issue. In Sound properties I had hit the Chord device, then advanced, then 'default format', and set output to 192KHz.

It was something to do with a game I played a while ago. (Vermintide 2. Sound was crackly unless set sound output to max.)

Anyway I have set default format to 44.1KHz, and it shows Youtube as 44.1KHz now. Thank you and sorry everyone.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #14,689 of 22,467
what is another brand that is also mobile but a noticeable better DAC than Hugo 2? I notice a lot of people is selling this unit after they use it for a few mth. at the for sale forum

I don't think people are selling because they looking for better DAC. I think it's because they either need the money, or moved on to bigger or better things in life.

To be the Chord Hugo 2 is one of, if not the best DAC under £3000.

Nov 3, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #14,690 of 22,467
what is another brand that is also mobile but a noticeable better DAC than Hugo 2? I notice a lot of people is selling this unit after they use it for a few mth. at the for sale forum

Nothing comes close. I think a good amount of those selling their Hugo 2s are looking to upgrade to a Hugo TT 2. I'll be doing that as well. I'll just make sure to always have a plane seat that has a power outlet!

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #14,691 of 22,467
Anyone considered h2 into etude? i can't see why not.

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #14,693 of 22,467
No my flat calls for headphones and i also like the freedom headphones give me. I did have some celestion 3's with the titanium tweeters and a dual turntable and nad amp which i bought a long time ago and that is all history now.

Nov 4, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #14,694 of 22,467
Nothing comes close. I think a good amount of those selling their Hugo 2s are looking to upgrade to a Hugo TT 2. I'll be doing that as well. I'll just make sure to always have a plane seat that has a power outlet!

Hugo TT2 is desktop application. For desktop, you could go with dCS as 1 of the best DAC in the world (it's a lot of $ though). I am using the Sony DAC PHA-3, 1 thing like this guy is that it still has an old audio 3.5mm jack as I have a lot of songs in MD and HiMD. Too bad Hugo 2 doesn't have the old stereo jack, but like you say, if there is nothing better in the mobile DAC world, I'll go for it. But I don't want to aim at Hugo 2, and find out 2 mth. down the row, someone else has a better mobile DAC

So, who else makes top end mobile DAC for the sake of comparison?

Nov 4, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #14,695 of 22,467
Hugo TT2 is desktop application. For desktop, you could go with dCS as 1 of the best DAC in the world (it's a lot of $ though). I am using the Sony DAC PHA-3, 1 thing like this guy is that it still has an old audio 3.5mm jack as I have a lot of songs in MD and HiMD. Too bad Hugo 2 doesn't have the old stereo jack, but like you say, if there is nothing better in the mobile DAC world, I'll go for it. But I don't want to aim at Hugo 2, and find out 2 mth. down the row, someone else has a better mobile DAC

So, who else makes top end mobile DAC for the sake of comparison?

I think only iFi tries to compete.

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #14,697 of 22,467
Nov 4, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #14,698 of 22,467

This could be due to the Mscaler that just came out. People may be upgrading to Mscaler and TT. The Mscaler seems to be a revolution as far as sound quality is concerned and people are clearly taking advantage of that. Musickid on here is showing the way.

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #14,699 of 22,467
Since I attempted making portable DAPs for use with the Mojo [https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-2505#post-14578866, I thought I'd give it a try with the Hugo 2:

IMG_2056.jpg
IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg
IMG_2061.jpg

It consists of:
Raspberry Pi 3 Mainboard stripped of all ports
Adafruit 2.8" Capacitive Screen 2423, stripped of pin header
eBay 8000 mAh battery
DROK Slim DC 3V to 5V 3A Converter Boost Step Up Voltage Regulator from Amazon
Icstation TC4056A Micro USB 5V 1A 18650 Lithium Battery Charger Board from Amazon
On/Off Switch for the Pi Battery
2TB Micron SSD with SATA to USB converter hardwired to a Pi USB port
MicroSD card (OS + Music)
3D Print Enclosure - 100 x 130 x 25 mm
Total size w/ Hugo2 - 130 x 100 x 50 mm Wt. 700g

Unlike with the Mojo DAPs, in this device the Pi front end and the Hugo2 are not in one enclosure. Rather, the Pi Front end and the Hugo2 are in a separate exoskeleton-like wrapper. That is why there are the rather ungainly bumps on each corner to fasten the exoskeleton together. I did this rather than make a full enclosure for several reasons: [1] to allow complete access to all the Hugo2's ports and controls; [2] to allow the Hugo2 to have room to breathe so as to avoid overheating; and [3] to reduce the total bulk of the device, if only by a few millimeters. The enclosure is designed so that it can lay flat on either the Hugo2 or Pi side.

A disadvantage of this setup is that the cable connecting the Pi to the Hugo2 is external to the unit, which means care must be exercised not to put unnecessary strain on the connection when, for example, taking the unit inside or outside a coat pocket or bag. However, because the Pi front end is itself completely self contained, it can be used with another USB DAC, although the connecting cord is quite short.

The Pi battery lasts as long as the Hugo2, but of course being 2 units, they require separate charging. It is too heavy and bulky to carry in a shirt or pants pocket, but it fits nicely in a jacket pocket, preferably one that loads from the top so the unit doesn't fall out. It has 2.4 gHz WiFi, but the unit is completely self-contained; it can be operated without access via WiFi or Bluetooth.

Nov 4, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #14,700 of 22,467
I wish Chord had designed the case for the Hugo 2. I understand that they saw the Van Nuys case, liked it, and made that their official case. However I prefer the design of the Mojo case which Chord made. I was listening to Mojo again tonight (with DAP), and I could not take my hands off the Mojo case. The Mojo is a very tactile object anyway. For me the Mojo case is perfect. I like the rubber insets around the buttons area. The overall feel is downright special.

Whereas the Van Nuys Hugo 2 case looks kind of plain. It looks made of one sheet of leather, whereas the Mojo has plastic and then leather. (The plastic probably makes the Mojo case tougher, in the event of an accident.)

Anyway, just saying. The Hugo 2 case is probably nicer in the hand, than it looks in images. (The Mojo case is nicer in hand than it looks in pictures. Then once it's on the Mojo it's stunning.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back