Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 22, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #13,531 of 22,467
For those who are hard to convince, here's a YouTube video...

...with Rob Watts answering the question about Hugo₂/M-Scaler compatibility (29m30s).

I have said this before, but ... Rob and Chord should really get a some kind of knighthood for their services to music.

Great composers are recognised in that way. Rob and Chord's work is just as important.

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #13,532 of 22,467
so it will work with Hugo 2 ? btw m scalar may reduce the difference between the sq of chord dacs and other DACs.

You are right.
Yes sorry that the Chord website is a bit misleading, implying its BNC only, but for sure Hugo 2 works with the full 768kHz dual data mode, you just need to use 3.5mm to RCA cable, plus RCA to BNC adaptors. Or simply make up your own BNC to 3.5mm cables. I have clocked up 50 hours on flights with Hugo 2, and I can't be without the M scaler now...

Jul 22, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #13,533 of 22,467
Big day for Chord. Congrats to John, Robb, and the Chord team. Exciting stuff!

I'm gonna be saving for a long time before I can afford an M-Scaler, lol, but I really want to hear it. Given the size, weight, and power requirements, I'd really need to reconfigure my office and find a way to get more power in. But very very cool.

If I'm lucky, the next product to be announced will be the 2Go, which is at least something I can have on my desk, and also walk around with a little more easily.

Rock on Chord.

Jul 22, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #13,535 of 22,467
The reason I ask is that the only input on the Hugo 2 that can take 768KHz is the HD USB. The coax can only accept 384KHz according to the specs. Does this mean that the M-Scaler would not be used to its full capability when connected to a Hugo 2?

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #13,539 of 22,467
The Hugo 2 does not have Dual coax as far as I am aware - am I wrong?

It does.
Yes sorry that the Chord website is a bit misleading, implying its BNC only, but for sure Hugo 2 works with the full 768kHz dual data mode, you just need to use 3.5mm to RCA cable, plus RCA to BNC adaptors. Or simply make up your own BNC to 3.5mm cables. I have clocked up 50 hours on flights with Hugo 2, and I can't be without the M scaler now...

H2 manual: Coax 2 configuration = Ring and sleeve. The 3.5mm digital coaxial jack input supports ‘dual data mode’, where 768kHz files can be input as two separate 384kHz data streams

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #13,540 of 22,467
The Hugo 2 does not have Dual coax as far as I am aware - am I wrong?
Yes you are. The coax jack looks from the inside not unlike a stereo receptical. One gets a Y splitter type connector to connec to the two coax connections of the M Scaler, or whatever two separate sources of coaxivity to which you want to hook up. One might have a CD Player on one side of the connection, and a coax supported DAP on the other: i.e. FiiO X5 etc. Hope this clarifies this.

Jul 22, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #13,542 of 22,467
Everyone needs one! :relaxed:

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #13,544 of 22,467
You're basing things on an assumption since the Blu2 CD player works? We're not talking about that product and Chord themselves (so far at least) has in fact stated the Hugo M Scaler does not work to full potential with the Hugo 2. They may be wrong, but we should not assume so until we get the official word, or they update their specs for it.

The designer stood up at Scaler unveiling, and answered a question after first Chord PR chap repeated that statement of compatibility which excluded Hugo 2. Rob said Hugo 2 works fully with m-scaler and in fact that’s how he has been using it for months. Did you not see my reply yesterday?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #13,545 of 22,467
The designer stood up at Scaler unveiling, and answered a question after first Chord PR chap repeated that statement of compatibility which excluded Hugo 2. John said Hugo 2 works fully with m-scaler and in fact that’s how he has been using it for months. Did you not see my reply yesterday?

Old news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back