Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 26, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #8,642 of 22,463
Hmm, interesting to see that there are obviously lots of very reasonably priced cases for carrying H2,not only here in Asia!
Good to know,especially after the barrage of resent my price guess for Chord's own case released from some quarters recently.
Ok none of these specially made for H2. But does punching a few holes and using stitched leather really justify the 125GBP price asked?
IMO absolutely not.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #8,643 of 22,463
LOL - Yes it's certainly ironic, since Christer is still "umming and ahing " as to whether to upgrade from his Hugo to Hugo2 (and has shared every minute of that still ongoing journey), compared to DrLuna who has bit the bullet and bought the Hugo2
The journey there matters to me.
I love the journey of comparing different dacs with my reference material.

Just as an example of other Dacs too, and not only Chord's, actually being capable of reproducing depth and soundstage accurately,
you should have heard the very lifelike size ,depth and very focussed and pinpoint stable soundstage MOON AUDIO's best DAC delivered via some very good speakers indeed, in a 500K SGD system, at the truly excellent showroom at AVI here in Singapore last night.
Their large showroom at Millenia Walk is a model of its kind IMO.

And as someone suggested recently, if I upgrade from HUGO/DAC2, who knows? I may end up with the new DAC 3 instead of a HUGO 2.
Although I only go by what I hear with my own ears /brain for my FINAL DECISIONS it is also more than a bit interesting to compare both claims and possible manufacturer hype with actual reviews and tests of my own.

And discussing those things is for me what Forums such as this one, are all about.

I just happened to browse through the current issue of Stereophile at the library yesterday where they reviewed DAC 3 very favourably indeed.
And their measurements in some respects even rivalled those they made on DAVE not long ago it seems?

According to Stereophile's measurements, DAC is a SOTA 21 bit capable DAC while DAVE measures just short of 20 bits.
Moreover transient response from DAC 3 looks every bit as good, if not better than DAVE's on paper at least.
I interpreted the reading from DAC 3 as having slightly less pre and post ringing than DAVE.
Maybe wrongly? Correct me if I am wrong.
Atkinson's final word regarding his measurements on DAC 3 was just one word,WOW.
I think his take on DAVE was "beyond reproach".
But he had some reservations about high frequency noise with DAVE. But none such with DAC3.
DAC 3 sells for 2195USD and DAVE for 10500USD
Then again if Chord actually delivers a Streamer/M-scaler combo for HUGO 2 at a reasonable price, for a change, I may eventually bite.
Meanwhile I am having a very rewarding and interesting journey.
Cheers Christer
PS Just another of those very long posts again.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #8,644 of 22,463
Can you guys suggest a decent $10-$20 case on Amazon that fits the H2?

Not AMZN, but Etsy:

This is for portable use. YMMV, not for everyone; but works well for me. I use for walking because I have a injured back so need to go on walkabouts. Since the placement is at the waist (center of gravity), don't notice the weight of the H2 much if any. It stays stable at the waist and does not slide down. It was a custom order so the H2 fits on left side and iPhone fits on the right side with a divider in the middle. It's no problem for walking, but no running. IEM cable is right-angle. Quality and build is top notch. If interested, I'll track down my custom measurements.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/471159797/the-flat-fanny-charcoal-gray-running?ref=shop_home_active_2

I believe I saw a photo of a Pelican 1060 case in this thread if you are looking for a hard case. But I can't find the link so cannot confirm.

BTW, congrats on the H2.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #8,645 of 22,463
Christer, as usual an interesting post of yours - in a cat among the pigeons sort of way! :deadhorse::deadhorse:

But probably not a good PR move - sucking the air out of other peoples sails (in one of your previous posts)? :k701smile:

140207075502-extreme-sailing-capsize-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #8,646 of 22,463
Not AMZN, but Etsy:

This is for portable use. YMMV, not for everyone; but works well for me. I use for walking because I have a injured back so need to go on walkabouts. Since the placement is at the waist (center of gravity), don't notice the weight of the H2 much if any. It stays stable at the waist and does not slide down. It was a custom order so the H2 fits on left side and iPhone fits on the right side with a divider in the middle. It's no problem for walking, but no running. IEM cable is right-angle. Quality and build is top notch. If interested, I'll track down my custom measurements.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/471159797/the-flat-fanny-charcoal-gray-running?ref=shop_home_active_2

I believe I saw a photo of a Pelican 1060 case in this thread if you are looking for a hard case. But I can't find the link so cannot confirm.

BTW, congrats on the H2.

Thank you! H2 is very special indeed. Never thought of this idea, I already have a Glock19 holster just like this, I'll just use it. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks, will check out.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #8,647 of 22,463
LOL - Yes it's certainly ironic, since Christer is still "umming and ahing " as to whether to upgrade from his Hugo to Hugo2 (and has shared every minute of that still ongoing journey), compared to DrLuna who has bit the bullet and bought the Hugo2

Think your post should say 'every' single minute and blow by blow moment, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #8,648 of 22,463
H2 will work very nicely as a desktop device since there is very little room available and I can get the nice SQ without taking up a bunch of room. Seemingly the perfect solution.

Same for me, I have a main hi-fi system that takes up lots of room downstairs, the Hugo 2 is perfect my desktop use in my study

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #8,649 of 22,463
Not AMZN, but Etsy:

BTW, congrats on the H2.

Guys,
if you really want to go with a fanny pack, than buy this one...

it's the perfect match for the Hugo2 :joy::joy::joy:

zzz1.jpg

Oct 26, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #8,651 of 22,463
This week has been a good week.

Received my Poly on Friday and have been enjoying that, got home from work tonight to see my H2 has arrived!

Waiting for it to go through it’s initial charge is going to be agony!!

Many thanks to @PhilW and the folks at Audio Sanctuary for their great service:thumbsup:

Is it charged yet?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #8,653 of 22,463
Guys,
if you really want to go with a fanny pack, than buy this one...

I would of bit on the middle-left one if it was waterproof ...

2.jpg

Waist-packs vary in functionality and quality. Traditional waist-packs are bulky and a pain:

1.png

Modern waist-packs are made of elastic material that stretches around the body, are thin and are easily concealable under a shirt.

I was surprised as anyone how functional a waist-pack with iPhone works versus an armband for active activities:

https://flipbelt.com/flipbelt

It's pretty great when your iPhone is not dangling all over the place while wearing shorts / beach shorts. Same with the H2.

Can walk with H2, waterproof and secured in place. It's a portable solution when you can't live without the H2.

I would just say keep an open mind. It's not 80s, 90s style waist-packs...

It does the job and does it well...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #8,654 of 22,463
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back