Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 6, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #8,286 of 22,463
Hello,
you are aware that HD800S already has an intentional bass bost compared to the original HD800 aren't you?
Imo both HD800 and HD800S are very good headphones. But each with its own drawbacks/compromises. HD800 has got a sometimes too bright treble which has been quite succsessfully tamed in the newer HD800S. But HD800 has more natural bass.
Unfortunately they introduced the bass lift in the S to please the pop crowd I think?
BOOM BOOM BOOM lot of bass =equals good sound to many.
Now with both the bass lift in the HD800S and the 1-1,8 dB basslift with maximum crossfeed engaged, I am sure the bass will sound very boomy indeed.
I A/B-d the two with some of my reference tracks where I have personal reference to the live sound as well,and even without any crossfeed at all engaged I found bass too boomy with the HD800S.
The boomy bass was the reason I never upgraded to S from HD800
As far as crossfeed is concerned the only advantage imo with the HD800 and my HUGO is that full crossfeed makes the otherwise too thin and lean HUGO sound a bit fuller. I find the crossfeed effect artificial and adding masking effects and rarely use it .
Moreover, to me nearly 2 dB bass lift is NOT small.
A 2dB difference in bass level can change the sound of a recording VERY MUCH imho.
I know this both from personal listening and demonstrations of + 1-2 dB lifts at recording sessions.
I wish Chord DACs had volume steps working at 0,5 dB steps instead of as now only 1 dB steps.
With really hi res material one is not quite able to do real low level fine tuning with the too big 1dB step I think.
As Romaz said in a post somewhere dynamic range is NOT really about loudness. On the contrary it is IMO about the ability too hear deep into the really low level information captured in the very best recordings.

And in order to be able to hear the very low level ppp-pppp sections in for example Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony clearly you need both high resolution and very low noise from your system.
And even there a difference in noise levels of 1-2 dB actually matter a lot.

Bass boost? Boomy bass? Sorry, that doesn't sound like the HD800S to me. The HD800 is a on the bass-lite side of things and all the HD800S is correct this flaw (and only by a few much needed dB and adds some much needed heft where it is needed) and fix the troublesome 6kHz hike. These are NOT bass centric headphones by a long mile. I would still classify the HD800S's bass lighter than say the Focal Utopia, HE1000 or K812.

Oct 7, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #8,287 of 22,463
Hi, is anyone able to reliably play DSD512 or PCM768 with the Hugo 2?

Not that there's any music of those rates of course and I prefer bit perfect but the box says these rates are supported and I get crackling when testing these rates.

I'm using Roon on an i7 which has no shortage of power for up-sampling to these rates and I'm only using High Speed Certified USB cables.

I've tried both WASAPI and ASIO on Win 10 Pro and both crackle at these max sample rates.

As I person who have struggled for 3-4 week, using Homebrewed linux with my 2qute and DSD hiccups I know for sure that this
could be an issue. I have tested tons of Laptops and found the my Chord works great playing DSD when its IRQs pr sec is hold low.

For more info see this nightmare thread : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/310578-chord-2qute-dop-challenge.html

Right now playing on the same homebrew linux system on a borrowed Hugo2 DSD64 , without any issues :)

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #8,288 of 22,463
48 hours on my borrowed Hugo2 DAC. Playing DSD on my homebuild 4pl1 pre (tubeamp) - 2A3 - 425 liter Tannoy HPD-385 enclosure.

Using entirely homemade streaming setup linux ubuntu server 17.04 realTime kernel 4.11-rt with squeezelite/LMS on SSD disk.

First I tried an old Wandboard Arch Dual ARM with absolute not the same clarity as I have on this old Intel-i5 m 430 system.

So in my world (linux) it matters a lot to stream from a device with decent horsepower, but I think that all your newer smart phones is
at least on pair with my 6-7 year old laptop.

I own a Chord 2qute, and I agree that the Hugo2 is better regardless what I play on it. It's absolutely not night or day but this noticeable better
digging deeper into the music experience , it's stealing all my spare time.

It will be a little hard, when I have to bring it back, but I'll survive it.

I'm listening to quite a lot classical music, mostly the 20century stuff, I'm not so much into Mozart,Bach,Hayden and when I'm listening to rock
I like the progressive/avantgarde genre.

Haven't heard a tons of Dacs, but this Hugo2 just do the thing the way I really like it.

Regards someone had complains about it brightness , I don't have any of these issues here (100% playing on tubes), and if I haven't had my
2qute, I will definitely consider the Hugo2, even if I'll never use it with headphones.

So keep up the good work Chord, waiting for the 2qute 2 , or 3qute when it hits the marked.

PS! took forever to read from page 400 to get updated..

Greetings from Denmark, the little country nearby UK.

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #8,289 of 22,463
Hmm I shall try that.

Does the H2 turn itself off to prevent overheating? Sometimes when I listen while charging, it'll turn off by itself and I have to turn it on again.

Try charging Hugo completely before you begin listening (you can leave the charger plugged-in whilst listening, but just try to fully charge Hugo before you commence listening).

In any event, Hugo will not be harmed; it has plenty of thermal protection - but if you try what I suggested, you may find less heat is generated.

Also, as odanovich suggested, placing Hugo on its side will permit much more efficient radiation of whatever heat is being generated.

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #8,290 of 22,463
Try charging Hugo completely before you begin listening (you can leave the charger plugged-in whilst listening, but just try to fully charge Hugo before you commence listening).

In any event, Hugo will not be harmed; it has plenty of thermal protection - but if you try what I suggested, you may find less heat is generated.

Also, as odanovich suggested, placing Hugo on its side will permit much more efficient radiation of whatever heat is being generated.

Thanks for the tips.

Oct 7, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #8,292 of 22,463
UPDATE: Having been to the London Indulgence Show last Friday, I collected my new Questyle QP2R DAP from Audio Sanctuary (who organise this London Hi-Fi Show). Whilst at the shop,I auditioned the Hugo 2 with my K812's and knew it was fabulous within 15 minutes of listening to wav music on my laptop. I had been warned I might find the K812/Hugo 2 too bright but I thought the sound was amazing and obviously a huge step up from my DF Red (and so it should be when £165 goes against £1,800). I loved the bass, quality & quanity, the open & clean midrange and the Hugo 2 gave me that little bit more treble from my K812's (exactly what I was after). So I gave Audio Sanctuary a deposit for a black one and they say that the next batch arrive in 4/5 weeks, can't wait. Apparently 4/5 weeks does mean 4/5 weeks (I refer to the stretched delivery times which frustrated a number of people understandably). So I would like to thank everyone who has offered advice and help, both here and via PM's re two of my upgrades.
When my Hugo 2 is run in, I will then borrow a dem pair of Utopia's and see how they get on with the Hugo 2, like them with the Questyle QP2R DAP at the Show but whether they represent +£2,000 worth of value to me over the K812's is to be seen!

Oct 7, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #8,294 of 22,463

Users who are viewing this thread

Back