Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 5, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #8,266 of 22,463
Yes, but it's not much - 1.8dB on full

Hmm my ears must be really sensitive then with this small 1.8dB bass boost. Other than the boosted bass with blue (with my music, my ears) I have been finding cross-feed on red and even green almost useless compared to blue, i.e. I find blue to be where it's at.

But the bass is unfortunately too much for me to enjoy for longer listening periods.

Cross-feed OFF is still very fun to listen to with the HD800-S cans. Not as much of a speaker listening experience with cross-feed OFF but that's very much ok with headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #8,267 of 22,463
hi, what about your experience in relation to the battery?
I think that my unit is lasting 5 or 6 hours of flac 44 and 96 kHz, with a 6-hour recharge time.
It worries me a bit, is stabilized a bit with the first cycles?

Best regards

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #8,268 of 22,463
I got 7-8 hours, like it says on the tin, which is always nice.

But that was with cross-feed off and I’m always in the red zone for volume levels. I rarely need to go to the green zone, except maybe DSD which is quieter.

But now I’m running on desktop mode pretty much all the time.

Oct 6, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #8,271 of 22,463
Hmm my ears must be really sensitive then with this small 1.8dB bass boost. Other than the boosted bass with blue (with my music, my ears) I have been finding cross-feed on red and even green almost useless compared to blue, i.e. I find blue to be where it's at.

But the bass is unfortunately too much for me to enjoy for longer listening periods.

Cross-feed OFF is still very fun to listen to with the HD800-S cans. Not as much of a speaker listening experience with cross-feed OFF but that's very much ok with headphones.

Hello,
you are aware that HD800S already has an intentional bass bost compared to the original HD800 aren't you?
Imo both HD800 and HD800S are very good headphones. But each with its own drawbacks/compromises. HD800 has got a sometimes too bright treble which has been quite succsessfully tamed in the newer HD800S. But HD800 has more natural bass.
Unfortunately they introduced the bass lift in the S to please the pop crowd I think?
BOOM BOOM BOOM lot of bass =equals good sound to many.
Now with both the bass lift in the HD800S and the 1-1,8 dB basslift with maximum crossfeed engaged, I am sure the bass will sound very boomy indeed.
I A/B-d the two with some of my reference tracks where I have personal reference to the live sound as well,and even without any crossfeed at all engaged I found bass too boomy with the HD800S.
The boomy bass was the reason I never upgraded to S from HD800
As far as crossfeed is concerned the only advantage imo with the HD800 and my HUGO is that full crossfeed makes the otherwise too thin and lean HUGO sound a bit fuller. I find the crossfeed effect artificial and adding masking effects and rarely use it .
Moreover, to me nearly 2 dB bass lift is NOT small.
A 2dB difference in bass level can change the sound of a recording VERY MUCH imho.
I know this both from personal listening and demonstrations of + 1-2 dB lifts at recording sessions.
I wish Chord DACs had volume steps working at 0,5 dB steps instead of as now only 1 dB steps.
With really hi res material one is not quite able to do real low level fine tuning with the too big 1dB step I think.
As Romaz said in a post somewhere dynamic range is NOT really about loudness. On the contrary it is IMO about the ability too hear deep into the really low level information captured in the very best recordings.

And in order to be able to hear the very low level ppp-pppp sections in for example Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony clearly you need both high resolution and very low noise from your system.
And even there a difference in noise levels of 1-2 dB actually matter a lot.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #8,272 of 22,463
Hello,
you are aware that HD800S already has an intentional bass bost compared to the original HD800 aren't you?.

Hi Christer, thanks for the info. To be honest (and I mean this 100% respectfully without ANY bad intention) I don't really care what the HD800 sounded like or any other headphones because to my personal tastes, the bass of the HD800-S is perfect for everything I listen to. If it's more boomy than others it's irrelevant to me because I really like the balance as is.

But it's the 1.8db boost with cross-feed on blue that is annoying to me but it's simple - I just turn cross-feed off. I can deal with the bass boost on blue for half an hour maybe, but for longer listening sessions it's too much.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #8,273 of 22,463
Hi Christer, thanks for the info. To be honest (and I mean this 100% respectfully without ANY bad intention) I don't really care what the HD800 sounded like or any other headphones because to my personal tastes, the bass of the HD800-S is perfect for everything I listen to. If it's more boomy than others it's irrelevant to me because I really like the balance as is.

But it's the 1.8db boost with cross-feed on blue that is annoying to me but it's simple - I just turn cross-feed off. I can deal with the bass boost on blue for half an hour maybe, but for longer listening sessions it's too much.

Hello again EM2016, not to worry, like I said I also think it is a very good headphone,irrespective of price still one of the very best imo.I really liked the smoother treble compared to my HD800.
I still have the HD800 but mainly use my HEK 1000V2, which is even better for my taste, as transparent as possible to the source material,than both Sennheiser's are to my ears.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #8,274 of 22,463
9986048.jpg
DID someone tried Sony nw1z and chord hugo 2?
i'm looking for some comparisons but didn't find any

thanks

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #8,275 of 22,463
I still have the HD800 but mainly use my HEK 1000V2, which is even better for my taste, as transparent as possible to the source material,than both Sennheiser's are to my ears.
Cheers Christer

Cheers Christer! I'll have to demo the HEK V1000V2 at some point - thanks for the tip. One problem I have is my large ears. I tried many cans including the LCD-4 but they didn't go all around my big ears the way the HD800S did. So they would put pressure on the tips of my ears which become uncomfortable after 15 minutes for me. So sound quality wasn't the only factor for me. Size/comfort was just as important.

Are the HEK's similarly large around the ears?

Cheers!

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #8,278 of 22,463

thanks

I have not directly compared both side by side, but have heard both. But I have only tried the Single Ended of 1Z.

To me 1Z is a device with a focus on musical pleasure. Nice bass, nice mids and smooth treble with a hint of warmth in its tone. A safe tuning if you will. All that combined with a nice stage and separation, there is no way you could go wrong, as it is also quite forgiving of poorly recorded material. The transparency and resolution is really good but not the best in class. But my friends tell me that, the device's transparency, resolution, stage and separation improves noticeably on 4.4 Balanced.

Hugo 2's focus is on precision and accuracy. And because of that, it has more accurate and realistic timbre of instruments and vocals. It has a neutral tuning and a neutral-warm tone. But being an accurate device, it will reveal the flaws in poorly recorded tracks. The stage of the Hugo 2 is plenty wide, but it is not monstrous in size. But it impresses with its precision in its imaging. And its resolution and transparency are of the highest order when it comes to portable devices.

If you are particular about accuracy of instrument and vocal timbre and you need something with a reference touch for mastering purpose or critical listening, Hugo 2 would be the way to go. On the other hand, if you have a lot of albums that are not the best in terms of recording quality, but you just want sit back and enjoy your music, WM1Z would be the way to go.

On the hardware side too, both are on different ends. Sony has amazing battery life and is a fully featured DAP. And to get the best out of it, it requires you to move into Balanced ecosystem by re-terminating your cables. Especially when you have headphones that are difficult to drive as the SE is not as quite powerful. Hugo 2 is as powerful as a desktop class amp and works well as a desktop device to which you could connect the source of your choice and also use the Music application of your choice. You don't need to go balanced with the Hugo 2. But it does need a source and the interconnects.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #8,279 of 22,463
9986048.jpg

thanks
I have the A vs. the Z but did some direct comparisons with the Hugo2. Have compared the A to the Z directly as well so I can tell you that the A vs. 2 does apply. The quick is that the Hugo 2 is at another level in terms of SQ - but to hear it depends on the mastering and the HP/CIEM as well as some time to listen through your library. If we did a blind test with 100 headfiers, I am confident that the Hugo2 would post a convincing win well into the 90 percentile. I would bet my house on that outcome.

Using the HEX/A18 in the comparison, the 2 has a more natural feeling like listening to great speakers vs. HPs. Sound stage is significantly better as is layering and resolution, but there is some untold natural quality to the 2 that makes the SQ sound so right. While impressed by the A, going back to it after using the Hugo2 for a week was painful. The H2 didn't impress immediately, but going through my library for a week allowed me to have that rediscovery experience that good equipment tends to do. The A/Z tend to impress immediately, but due to the colored presentation that I consider very fun and musical. But in the end, the A/Z sound like a high end DAP compared to the 2 which sounds more like a high end desktop setup. As a bonus, the Hugo 2 sounds great enough that I may leave my Havana2/EC BW desktop setup stored in boxes or at least replace the Havana2 with the Hugo2 running DAC duties. At the end of my week audition plus a week to feel the pain of loss, I decided to add a H2 to my collection and will likely keep my A/Calyx M as well for my more portable needs.

That brings up the pain point of my Hugo 2 experience - that it is not as convenient as a DAP, but worth it for my use case which is mostly home use. I have my AK100ii as source connected to my Hugo2 connected to my heavy headphone cable or IEM cable to my headphones/CIEMs. This snake of expensive equipment is not the most convenient listening experience that has me frightened that the weight of everything will pull it all down off my desk onto the floor for an expensive crash. I just ordered a new case to eliminate mush of this issue allowing me to strap the source to the case eliminating much of the awkwardness while providing fall protection. This is why I feel there is a place for both the DAP and the Hugo 2. But the Hugo 2 SQ has me so spoiled that this could change or force me to downsize my DAP collection.

So to answer the underlying question, if there could only be one, I would take the Hugo2 - but there is room for both.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/535610690/chord-hugo-2-leather-case?ref=pla_similar_listing_top-1

il_570xN.1264044898_go32.jpg
il_570xN.1264044948_agjs.jpg
il_570xN.1315176791_c5lu.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back