Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 3, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #7,771 of 22,467
RE: Audirvana Plus Question: anyone using the upsample to DSD with H2? (mac) it is here: https://audirvana.com/?p=4015

With some of the high def files, I have subjectively found that the gorgeous sound appears even more "open" in the few DSD files I have.

Is this being duplicated with the upsampling feature? I am curious as to others' findings. With this feature, H2 is now showing "white" rather than green, blue and purple of the other files.

As I have learned more and more about Audirvana Plus, file storage, etc, and am using the Remove on iPhone, its been marvelous listening while working.

Sep 3, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #7,772 of 22,467
Unlikely that there is any data loss issue. If there is data loss then one gets static and not different sounding music.
I'm not sure that would be true if it's very minor. I'm talking like if the song takes 1,000,000 bits of data per second you're losing a couple hundred or something. Static is like horrific data loss of a significant percent of the data being replaced by junk where perhaps even most bits are lost. Not mostly still intact.

Sep 3, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #7,774 of 22,467
I'm not sure that would be true if it's very minor. I'm talking like if the song takes 1,000,000 bits of data per second you're losing a couple hundred or something. Static is like horrific data loss of a significant percent of the data being replaced by junk where perhaps even most bits are lost. Not mostly still intact.

Well Ok, there would be clicks etc if it was just small data loss but loss of data does not give less good music.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #7,776 of 22,467
I read some comments at least from @MacedonianHero about how well the AKG K812 (open headphone) pairs with the Hugo 2, so I'm imagining the K872 (closed headphone) will also be a great pairing...

I'm interested in a great set of closed cans to plug directly into the Hugo 2 -- an all-arounder. I listen to everything from pumping drum 'n bass to classical music.

I haven't found any comments about the K872/Hugo2 pairing, specifically, but what do my head-fi friends think? Anyone want to suggest anything else? I notice a lot of the flagships are on the heavier side, and I appreciate how the AKGs are at least a bit less so.

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #7,779 of 22,467
I just posted Part 2. The written review is on my site, but I'll post it here as well later.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #7,781 of 22,467
I read some comments at least from @MacedonianHero about how well the AKG K812 (open headphone) pairs with the Hugo 2, so I'm imagining the K872 (closed headphone) will also be a great pairing...

I'm interested in a great set of closed cans to plug directly into the Hugo 2 -- an all-arounder. I listen to everything from pumping drum 'n bass to classical music.

I haven't found any comments about the K872/Hugo2 pairing, specifically, but what do my head-fi friends think? Anyone want to suggest anything else? I notice a lot of the flagships are on the heavier side, and I appreciate how the AKGs are at least a bit less so.

Sorry, I don't have the K872 here to try.

So tonight I'm using my HD800S with both my DAVE and Hugo2 and I'm absolutely loving what I'm hearing from both setups! Sure the DAVE is simply magical and likely the best I've ever heard these headphones, but damn, the Hugo 2 is quite spectacular too! For those on a $2500 ish budget, this might be your one-stop-shop solution for portability and desktop use! I did need to sell of some gear (2 DACs) last week to help finance my DAVE and I knew the Hugo 2 wasn't going anywhere. While I still hold those other 2 DACs in very high regard, the Hugo 2 was firmly going to stay as I thought it was the best performer of the three. Now with the DAVE, it's killer one-two deskop/portable punch with the DAVE and Hugo2.

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #7,783 of 22,467
I hope there could be some kind of firmware update that could allow us to use desktop mode(pink light) at will without having to wait 24h. Not sure if its possible
The guy on Headphonia agrees with you. In fact, it made sence to me; having it switch to desktop mode after charging is complete, making it more convenient to transport regularly between-let's say-home and office. Unfortunately, I've never heard that the Hugos are able to receive FW updates, as most, if not all of their processing space is already filled. As my H1 died about a couple of minutes after the warranty expired, due to battery or charging circuit failure, I'm in favour of anything that will save the battery in the long run. Maybe the Hugo3?

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #7,784 of 22,467
In my experience, DAC's work better with strong power conditioning or (even better) under regulated battery power only. When I say DACs i mean the digital-to-analog part ...because its the final conversion to analog that is most sensitive to noise or fluctuations in ground or power. We are at the extremes of circuit and system design to immunize against small signal noise and the Hugo2's battery only mode is ideal. Where possible, make your source completely disconnected from the AC mains power. Float your laptop/streamer and any USB conditioning with batteries enroute to the DAC. I'll have some interesting comments in my upcoming Hugo2 review....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back