Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 2, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #7,741 of 22,467
Hello
I am a little concerned by these failures, so it is possible to send direct to chord?
Since apparently buy hugo2 outside my country, and send it direct to the seller in the usa so I sent it to U.K., is a waste of time.
And other questions:
-that such synergy with t1.gen2? Do you have enough power?

Best regards
The standard return process is via your dealer. However on the Mojo thread @Mojo ideas did post that in the rare cases where it is not possible to return via the dealer, then it is possible to send direct to Chord if you include all the relevant documentation/information.
Perhaps you should PM John Franks, and he can inform you if the same will apply for Hugo 2.

Sep 2, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #7,742 of 22,467
Re: Speakers
I know this has be covered before, but I am seeking some recommendations from H2 owners for this Fall's purchase.

Using MacBook Pro, Audirvana Plus and want speakers that will allow me to enjoy H2 as I do now with Beyer T1 and T8ie, reaching similar levels of quality.

It is not a large room.
Budget is limited but...I want to do the H2 justice. Think Beyerdynamic T1.2 as reference point for sound quality, detail, etc. Classical, Rock, Pop, Acoustic etc.

*What speakers do you recommend?

and...Do I need anything else?

Thanks.

Hi Peter, I use ATC SCM40A active speakers (no amps required) and they are simply incredible with Hugo 2. A masterpiece of a speaker, they far surpass any headphones I've ever used and will probably give Rob's much more expensive B&Ws a run for their money. Try if you can.

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #7,743 of 22,467
Hi Peter, I use ATC SCM40A active speakers (no amps required) and they are simply incredible with Hugo 2. A masterpiece of a speaker, they far surpass any headphones I've ever used and will probably give Rob's much more expensive B&Ws a run for their money. Try if you can.

Excellent speakers there and I second your recommendation. ATC are a clear cut above B&W in my opinion. They will do much more than give B&W speakers a run for their money.

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #7,744 of 22,467
So I thought I'd share my little project, still in progress. I've only assembled it. I'm still waiting for delivery of a Raspberry Pi 3 board. It has the ARMv8 CPU which is supported by Roon Bridge. (My Pi is gen 1, with a CPU that is unsupported by Roon Bridge.) We'll be using the DietPi distro as a base.

The 500 GB Samsung T3 drive could hold some music if I figure out how to get MPD to coexist nicely on there... but I might end up removing it and just using Roon, alone.

The Anker 20000mAh will power the Pi and -- why not -- the Hugo 2, as well. I have a usb WIFI adapter with antenna to make sure I can reach the access point. A USB switch allows me to toggle power for the Pi.

Whenever the Poly-like add-on for the Hugo 2 becomes available, this should become less useful, but we'll leave evaluating that to whenever it is actually an option.

But that is the plan. It's a transportable system to feed the Hugo 2 a nice USB signal. When I get it all going in the next week or so, I'll report back how it goes.

DSCF6158.jpg DSCF6159.jpg

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #7,745 of 22,467
I get that this hobby represents a relatively small world wide user group, but there are no shortage of companies selling high end USB cables ranging from $20 - $1,000+ dollars out there. It boggles my mind that I can not find a source to meet my even smaller niche needs, a macbook with only USB-C ports. From a recommendation on this thread I ordered a usb-c to usb micro cable from Forza AudoWorks. After placing the order on 8/8 I received it yesterday and have plugged in and providing a clean connection between my Mac and Mojo right now, so no complaints.

I decided to stick with the Hugo and continue the LONG WAIT (how's that for passive aggressive?) for the replacement unit. When it arrives I plan to add an ISO regen/Audiophilleo/or other unit to the chain and will need a USB-C to USB-A cable/adapter to make that connection. Has anyone found any high quality USB-C cables or adapters? Amazon is flush with low dollar options including an adapter from Apple. I own multiple of versions in various form factors but none of them are high quality relative to the tech used in the high end cables. As ludicrous as it probably to the rest of the world to spend hundreds/thousands on cables, I find it just as ludicrous to spend all of this money and then make the final connection with a $20 adapter that cost $1 to make.

Any thoughts? I'll try Forza again but can not believe there isn't some industrious guy/gal out there capitalizing on this open slot in our niche market. I've tried every place I can think of. Audioquest seems to be the only big name brand with an adapter and it's the same adapter sold on Amazon for $10 rebranded and sold for $20 (or appears to be so).

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #7,746 of 22,467
I get that this hobby represents a relatively small world wide user group, but there are no shortage of companies selling high end USB cables ranging from $20 - $1,000+ dollars out there. It boggles my mind that I can not find a source to meet my even smaller niche needs, a macbook with only USB-C ports. From a recommendation on this thread I ordered a usb-c to usb micro cable from Forza AudoWorks. After placing the order on 8/8 I received it yesterday and have plugged in and providing a clean connection between my Mac and Mojo right now, so no complaints.

I decided to stick with the Hugo and continue the LONG WAIT (how's that for passive aggressive?) for the replacement unit. When it arrives I plan to add an ISO regen/Audiophilleo/or other unit to the chain and will need a USB-C to USB-A cable/adapter to make that connection. Has anyone found any high quality USB-C cables or adapters? Amazon is flush with low dollar options including an adapter from Apple. I own multiple of versions in various form factors but none of them are high quality relative to the tech used in the high end cables. As ludicrous as it probably to the rest of the world to spend hundreds/thousands on cables, I find it just as ludicrous to spend all of this money and then make the final connection with a $20 adapter that cost $1 to make.

Any thoughts? I'll try Forza again but can not believe there isn't some industrious guy/gal out there capitalizing on this open slot in our niche market. I've tried every place I can think of. Audioquest seems to be the only big name brand with an adapter and it's the same adapter sold on Amazon for $10 rebranded and sold for $20 (or appears to be so).
What does a "high quality" USB cable even do? How would that even affect USB jitter in anyway? Wouldn't like a Schiit Eitr do so much more than a cable that is transmitting digital data at like near the speed of light? I understand analogue cables somewhat more since impedance can affect the sound signature to a degree... But what is like your goal for an expensive USB cable? I can't imagine anyone passing blind testing on a digital cable on reclocked USB audio because there shouldn't even really be a difference on a technical level.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #7,747 of 22,467
Griffin usb c to USB b micro (USB-if certified) cable and you're done. Run laptop on batteries with nothing connected to it from mains (such as Ethernet cable) for best sq. simple. No ISO regen or audiophillio necessary. The key is bit perfect data and mains isolated (low noise) source. At the end of the day you are just sending a stream of 1 or zero with as little noise or interference as possible. No need for anything more sophisticated

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #7,748 of 22,467
What does a "high quality" USB cable even do? How would that even affect USB jitter in anyway? Wouldn't like a Schiit Eitr do so much more than a cable that is transmitting digital data at like near the speed of light? I understand analogue cables somewhat more since impedance can affect the sound signature to a degree... But what is like your goal for an expensive USB cable? I can't imagine anyone passing blind testing on a digital cable on reclocked USB audio because there shouldn't even really be a difference on a technical level.

I get your point and I can make the "bits are bits" argument with the best of them, but people that I respect report positive results from the high end cables they use. I have my limits on blind faith and am not going to replace my stock/generic cables with the top of the line, most expensive available, but I am willing to spend a reasonable amount to eliminate any potential interference or any other factor that would negatively impact my system. That includes a unit for USB reclocking, clean power etc etc... On the analog side I've heard the difference cables can make. On the digital side I want to hear the difference.

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #7,749 of 22,467
I get your point and I can make the "bits are bits" argument with the best of them, but people that I respect report positive results from the high end cables they use. I have my limits on blind faith and am not going to replace my stock/generic cables with the top of the line, most expensive available, but I am willing to spend a reasonable amount to eliminate any potential interference or any other factor that would negatively impact my system. That includes a unit for USB reclocking, clean power etc etc... On the analog side I've heard the difference cables can make. On the digital side I want to hear the difference.
Just from a science standpoint it shouldn't make a difference. If I bought a USB cable I would be willing to pay more so that the connectors are strong and won't wear out. USB reclocking is also a real thing. But once you do the reclocking the cable "quality" should no longer matter. More people in this hobby need to blind test... The placebo effect is incredibly powerful.

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #7,750 of 22,467
Just from a science standpoint it shouldn't make a difference. If I bought a USB cable I would be willing to pay more so that the connectors are strong and won't wear out. USB reclocking is also a real thing. But once you do the reclocking the cable "quality" should no longer matter. More people in this hobby need to blind test... The placebo effect is incredibly powerful.
I am not a scientist or an engineer but have common sense and basic science knowledge and agree with your comments in theory, and have made the exact same argument. That said, I know there are swindlers out there ready to capitalize on any opportunity to make money but I also believe there are honest people designing these products with more knowledge on the topic than I have, so I'll go along for the ride while limiting my expenditure. At a minimum I'll take the quality and aesthetic benefits and if I get any placebo effect results that makes my system sound even better to my ears, I'll gladly take that too. The mind is a powerful thing. However, I do think there is more to the value of the cables than I can explain and it's all about the sum of the parts, not necessarily the individual parts alone.

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #7,751 of 22,467
On the Blu2 thread there is much discussion of digital cables, not so much on the ones and noughts but on RF interference etc. The dual bnc cables between blu 2 and dave are possibly perfectly ok with cheap cables but with ferrite cores to get rid of interference (or at least that is current thinking by rob watts).

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #7,752 of 22,467
On the Blu2 thread there is much discussion of digital cables, not so much on the ones and noughts but on RF interference etc. The dual bnc cables between blu 2 and dave are possibly perfectly ok with cheap cables but with ferrite cores to get rid of interference (or at least that is current thinking by rob watts).
Makes sense. Again that's for reducing noise from interference. My point is like a USB cable made of pure silver isn't going to be better than a copper one... They'll transfer 1s and 0s the same. So what Rob said seems reasonable. A ferrite core isn't that expensive either.

Oh and @EndGameSearch I work with electrical engineers / computer engineering majors every day... Part of the reason I won't ever spend money on USB cables for reasons like that. They understand how it works better than I do and also say it's bs.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #7,753 of 22,467
Makes sense. Again that's for reducing noise from interference. My point is like a USB cable made of pure silver isn't going to be better than a copper one... They'll transfer 1s and 0s the same. So what Rob said seems reasonable. A ferrite core isn't that expensive either.

Oh and @EndGameSearch I work with electrical engineers / computer engineering majors every day... Part of the reason I won't ever spend money on USB cables for reasons like that. They understand how it works better than I do and also say it's bs.
I've worked in the tech industry for 20 years myself and know engineers that have spent more on cables than I ever would. There are people from all professions and backgrounds on both sides of this topic. I'm not trying to talk anyone into agreeing with my view. If cables can possibly help or hurt a set up I'll error on the side of over spending for pieces of mind and the enjoyment of owning a high quality set up with high quality components and accessories. Sound is the number one priority but I also enjoy the entire experience around it.

Let me also add, that I find it funny that most people on this thread have dropped $2,300 on a DAC and $X on a pair of high end headphones when 98% of the world is perfectly content with their Apple ear buds and the "crazy" among them spring for a pair of Beats. Why should any one care if others choose to drop a couple hundred extra dollars on cables just to round out the system.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #7,754 of 22,467
@Rob Watts,

As per my understanding, Chord Mojo and Hugo2 are having same:
* USB HD decoder (ATSAM3U1C microcontroller)
* FPGA Artix XC7A15T.

If I am remembering well Mojo is using 44 out 45 FPGA DSP cores working in parallel for consumption/power dissipation reasons?

With Hugo 2, you are achieving much more with apparently same FPGA ( but different coding). Can we, at least partially, relate the improvements to better batteries and a bigger casing?

I am not forgetting the numerous other improvements components, output power, DC servo, etc implemented in Hugo2.
I was only having the wrong feeling that with Mojo we were reaching the FPGA's limit.

Thanks.
B.R.

As @miketlse correctly points out, the whole issue is power - both from thermal power dissipation and from battery life POV. The bigger battery capacity and larger physical size allows me to use 100% of the capacity of the FPGA.

So all 45 DSP cores are used, and they run at double the clock speed at 208 MHz. Also, I create DSP cores from fabric (that's the logic and FF part of the FPGA). I ended up using 99.8% of the fabric, 100% memory, and 100% of the DSP.

The larger battery capacity also allows more elements on the pulse array (each element uses a lot of power), the boost PSU, and the second order analogue noise shaper for the outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back