Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 30, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #6,511 of 22,467
Funny I found ch1 and ch2 were fairly close, yes ch2 was my preference but it was subtle to me and took manyA/B to figure out what i was hearing, which i liked better and why. I am happy with ch1 but will go out and listen to the loner ch2 in the sun for the day.

second no one but you can decide how loud you want your tunes via ch2 into whatever your listening to sourced from what ever your source. Never mind clipping, that will be obvious when you do clip.

ch2 is rather hard to dislike. I find ch1 a little too cold and lacking presence(the most apparent how much better ch2 renders vocals vs ch1), low end authority/impact like the ch2 has on usb connection at least.

All that little detail made me decide to pull the trigger on the ch2 vs the ch1

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #6,513 of 22,467
I am happy with ch1 but will go out and listen to the loner ch2 in the sun for the day.

Enjoy! But keep those lithium batteries from overheating in the sun for the rest of the tour members! :)

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #6,514 of 22,467
What speakers straight out of CH2 ?

And how are Passive speakers wired direct? Am I missing something here, or is a power amp still required? Confused!

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #6,515 of 22,467
Well you would need a pair of custom RCA to speaker cables.
Or you could use an adapter.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #6,518 of 22,467
he makes them

Jul 30, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #6,519 of 22,467
Are you saying that H2 can drive the B&W 805 Diamond without additional amp to satisfying volume levels?

If so that would be really nice!

Cheers

It "can" drive them and actually make a sound. Whether or not it satisfies you is a different story. I recently went from a 25 watt amplifier to a 180 watt amplifier to drive speakers of similar efficiency to those B&W speakers. 25 watts is ok for quiet listening when I do not wish to disturb others. It does not however satisfy when I want to hear the full expression of music in some genres, not a chance. A Hugo2 has nowhere near 25 watts into typical speaker impedance.

According to some those B&W speakers only come to life at high volume levels. "https://www.whathifi.com/bw/805-diamond/review"

In my opinion a Hugo2 used to directly drive B&W 805 diamond speakers is a mismatched system to the point of being a waste of the dac and speakers, unless there is something or someone preventing you from listening at a reasonably loud volume. In that case I would use headphones.

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #6,521 of 22,467
How does it sound with thrash metal, bands like Warbringer, Havok, Megadeath, Death Angel?
Those kind of music sounded amazing with the lcd4r1 pairing at least. Not exactly thrash metal but i listen a lot to dream theatre, slipknot, disturbed, etc

The H2 have an especially dynamic punchy qualities to it. Its feels even punchier than the dave and my yggy at least

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #6,522 of 22,467
Wow, it seems that I have a lot of reply.

Yes, Hugo2 (and Hugo1 also) can drive my B&W 805 Diamond directly, without adding an external amp.
Please try direct drive yourself if you have efficient speakers with more than 8 ohm.
It is quite amazing that a tiny device like Hugo1 / 2 can actually drive speakers loud, with surprising quality of sound.

And... yes, actually, I don't hear Hugo2 clipping even at white color volume but I just would like to know where the logical clipping point is as I don't want to risk my speakers.

If you are not at white, you will be fine.

And I would have thought that Hugo 2 clipping power is not powerful enough to damage tweeters. It would be obvious if it clips. Note driving direct with efficient speakers won't fill a room with sound, but it works very well for near field monitoring with efficient 8 ohm speakers. You can fill a room with 100 dB horns though!

Jul 31, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #6,523 of 22,467
If you are not at white, you will be fine.

And I would have thought that Hugo 2 clipping power is not powerful enough to damage tweeters. It would be obvious if it clips. Note driving direct with efficient speakers won't fill a room with sound, but it works very well for near field monitoring with efficient 8 ohm speakers. You can fill a room with 100 dB horns though!

Im at white when driving my old he500 he400. And the 100z lcd4 from time to time when i apply some equalisation as i lose some gain. It sounds totally normal though. But is it safe for the battery?

Jul 31, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #6,524 of 22,467
Im at white when driving my old he500 he400. And the 100z lcd4 from time to time when i apply some equalisation as i lose some gain. It sounds totally normal though. But is it safe for the battery?

Absolutely. The OP stage current limiters are set to a smaller level than the batteries internal current limiters (the batteries have current and thermal protection built in).

Jul 31, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #6,525 of 22,467

Users who are viewing this thread

Back