Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 17, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #5,926 of 22,467
No hiss, no burning units, no gain switch, no faulty manufacturing, no price gouging conspiracies, no dumbed down buttons, no bland design, no weak construction, nothing but...

musical bliss.

I'm having a blast with the filters but also with the x-feed.

Thanks to Miketise for the link to demo these: http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

This is especially interesting with the filters.

I know most here are not fans of blue tooth, but thus far, I'm enjoying H2 with iPhone/Tidal wireless connection when away from desktop usb/optical connectivity. Yesterday, 30.5 C (87F) sitting outside with the music was relaxing.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #5,927 of 22,467
I plugged in Andromedas. I get silence. However for a bit I did get some on-and-off hiss which disappeared when the Hugo 2 changed power/charging modes.

John Franks has said in the past that the price of all Chord products is calculated against the price of the hardware, using the same multiplier, so I don't think removing features would reduce the price, as most of them are essentially software. I don't think traditional knobs and switches would change that. Anyhow, the switches under the balls are regular ones used in electronics.

No. Tried. It clips.

Interesting.

How does the Hugo 2 + Andromeda sound vs the Mojo + Andromeda by the way?

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #5,928 of 22,467
I'm using the Andromedas (along w/ LCDi4's and HD800S) on the Hugo2. There is absolutely no hiss with the Andromedas. They pair with the Hugo better than the Mojo which makes them too bass heavy. They still could benefit from a little EQ though but not 100% necessary. They sound wonderful and are a fantastic IEM's but a challenge to pair. Without EQ few would have complaints but it's a little softer sound than their ideal match. Adding an IEMatch set to high, not ultra helps brighten them back up.

How much better are the Andromeda's with the Hugo 2 relative to the Mojo?

I am thinking about the Poly + Mojo or get the Hugo 2.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #5,929 of 22,467
No hiss, no burning units, no gain switch, no faulty manufacturing, no price gouging conspiracies, no dumbed down buttons, no bland design, no weak construction, nothing but...

musical bliss.

I'm having a blast with the filters but also with the x-feed.

Thanks to Miketise for the link to demo these: http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

This is especially interesting with the filters.

I know most here are not fans of blue tooth, but thus far, I'm enjoying H2 with iPhone/Tidal wireless connection when away from desktop usb/optical connectivity. Yesterday, 30.5 C (87F) sitting outside with the music was relaxing.
Has your wife had time to give it a listen?

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #5,930 of 22,467
How much better are the Andromeda's with the Hugo 2 relative to the Mojo?

I am thinking about the Poly + Mojo or get the Hugo 2.
Keep in mind I've only had the Hugo 2 since last Tuesday and most of my listening has been with my LCDi4's and HD800S but I just did a quick compare to refresh my memory. Neither sound bad at all but with the Andros low impedance adversely effects the tone more with the Mojo than the Hugo. I frankly do not notice hiss with either of them. I prefer a signature that is close to neutral and primarily listen to classical but test gear with various genres. With the Mojo bass is more dominant and there is less sparkle than I prefer with the Andros but they still sound very nice. It's just not what I see as the natural tone for these IEMs. The Hugo2 does the same but to a lesser degree. An IEMatch makes a big difference and brightens things up on both. My ears do not pick up on any degradation of detail when using the IEMatch but it still seems counter intuitive to add a $50 connection to raise the impedance between a $2,200 DAC and $1,100 IEMs. Regardless, the results work for my 43 year old ears. That said, I got the Hugo 2 as a transportable system to use at home and from my hotel room with open back phones. I don't see myself whipping it out while at a coffee shop when I would want the isolation provided by the Andros. I will continue to use the Mojo w/ IEMatch until I find a better mobile solution.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #5,931 of 22,467
Has your wife had time to give it a listen?

Yes, astute question!

She was a bit bothered by it. It did not have the same overwhelming impact that going from no dac to Mojo did, but it was significant enough to back down and slow down. That was where nausea kicked in and she immediately pulled off the headphones. The data overwhelmed her. Her AA is only slight.

She said she felt "chaos" and a bit overwhelmed and it was "somewhat unpleasant" in parts of the song.

We followed the same path; backing down to simpler music.

She moved on to acoustic music and eventually an Andrew Duhon song that she is familiar with and loves. We went in small increments.

Yesterday she listened for 30 minutes and is excited about H2. She wants to go a bit longer with less complex music before moving upwards; similar to how she handled Mojo.

With two inputs we will listen together as time allows this week.

Thank you for asking.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #5,932 of 22,467
Yes, astute question!

She was a bit bothered by it. It did not have the same overwhelming impact that going from no dac to Mojo did, but it was significant enough to back down and slow down. That was where nausea kicked in and she immediately pulled off the headphones. The data overwhelmed her. Her AA is only slight.

She said she felt "chaos" and a bit overwhelmed and it was "somewhat unpleasant" in parts of the song.

We followed the same path; backing down to simpler music.

She moved on to acoustic music and eventually an Andrew Duhon song that she is familiar with and loves. We went in small increments.

Yesterday she listened for 30 minutes and is excited about H2. She wants to go a bit longer with less complex music before moving upwards; similar to how she handled Mojo.

With two inputs we will listen together as time allows this week.

Thank you for asking.
Interesting.
How does your wife react to music recorded and reproduced completely in analogue,like tape and vinyl?
Do you ever go to live acoustic music performances?
And if so, does she ever feel that there is too much "data" to process then?

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #5,933 of 22,467
Interesting.
How does your wife react to music recorded and reproduced completely in analogue,like tape and vinyl?
I would also be interested to hear about your reactions to the various filters on HUGO 2 with Morten's masterfiles at various resolutions and sampling rates. He records in DXD.
Some of these recordings belong in my reference collection when auditioning various HI FI equipment including DACs.
Nothing beats having heard things both live and played back at sessions for ultimate reference imho.

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #5,934 of 22,467
Yeah, I imagine the Hugo₂ and even the DAVE might not have enough power to drive it properly. So I'm not interested in it. Even if it was 60% better than the HE1000 (mine now has V2 pads, which do a lot), it would lose 55% again through the added powerful amp. And some money, too.
You have V2 pads on a HE-1000v1? If so, Could you PM your impressions?

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #5,937 of 22,467
Who was it that said Hugo 2 had a fuller sound than Mojo? Like more body to each note and better bass quantity and quality? I keep reading impressions that it is more neutral than Mojo. With my own personal observations I noticed my CA Vega IEMs to have better extension in the lows and overall Hugo 2 had a much fuller yet more detailed sound than Mojo. Maybe the entire frequency range is better therefore lows, mids, and highs are all equally more fleshed out making things sound neutral across the board? Maybe that's what I was hearing...thoughts?

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #5,938 of 22,467
Interesting.

I've not seen her around vinyl but a few times and each time it was background and she wasn't listening.

She loves live music. We got season tickets to Bangor Symphony Orchestra this year and she loved it. We sat close and she concentrated. The only thing is she cannot answer a question or even acknowledge a whispered comment while listening to the music.

We also went to Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes concert (horns) and sat near the front. She loved it. Her only distraction was looking to see if the kids were enjoying it (they were).

When we saw Bob Dylan, we were in a crowd, outdoors, standing. She was also watching the kids, so she was not concentrating on the music. She was distracted but did not report any discomfort.

Before you posted this, I have not thought of her reaction to analog music; only data. This is worth exploration.

The AA didn't impact grades (4.0 in college) nor professionally, until two people speak at once. She often gets no information from either when it happens.

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #5,940 of 22,467
so the hugo2 arrived on my desk (as per the tour)
..my hifi friend feels the SQ diff over the mojo will be a 'mere 5-10% max'
..guess we'll see...( and the dave to hugo 2 only another 10-15% max)
feel free to chime in those who've listened to all 2 or 3 side by side.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back