Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 13, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #5,732 of 22,467
it is a deliberate design feature. must be as its been commented on before with no apparent downside as far as i know.

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #5,734 of 22,467
for Relic: hugo 2 showed as clock source straight away. happy there. only thing why does source read default? thanks again. hugo really comes alive with EDM. "Feel Mahmut Orhan" crossfeed on max adds great 3 dimensionality a must for EDM.

I'm no expert on the Midi setup, but I would surmise the Source refers to the location of the music being played. If playing music from software on the Mac (iTunes, Audirvana+, etc.) then the Source Default will be displayed, I believe. I can't test as I haven't hooked up another source for my music files to loop through the Mac.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #5,735 of 22,467
that makes perfect sense. all is good now. i'm looking at roon for it's music discovery with tidal as an option later. i'll have to get my head around those settings later. for now i'm enjoying tidal lossless with exclusive mode and force volume ticked to enable bit perfect playback through the desktop app. i've also cancelled MQA decoding in favour of the WTA filters.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #5,736 of 22,467
roon is good

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #5,737 of 22,467
I am using Jriver with ASIO and no EQ, am i right to assume that when sending bit perfect redbook files to Hugo2 then i should use 'No Dithering' option over 'Jriver bit-exact dithering' ?
Correct.

Now playing: Barry Adamson & Pan Sonic - The Hymn of the 7th Illusion

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #5,738 of 22,467
seamless transition through the glass window indicating tidal lossless, red, to tidal master, orange. 44.1-48khz in this case listening to pink floyd the division bell HD.

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #5,739 of 22,467
Any impressions of Hugo 2 with Daft Punk?

Funny you should mention this...I was using my Hugo2 with the LCDi4 last night with this album and wow! Simply one of the best renditions I've heard of this classic recording!

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #5,740 of 22,467
Funny you should mention this...I was using my Hugo2 with the LCDi4 last night with this album and wow! Simply one of the best renditions I've heard of this classic recording!
Listened to Hugo 1 and encore fantastic with daft punk, can't wait to hear 2

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #5,743 of 22,467
I've been trying different combinations of inputs and music with the DACs I have on hand. One thing that is apparent is that they each have their subtle character, but more than anything all bring a sense of realism and enjoyment I've been searching for since I started in the hobby.

That being said, level-matched into a Master 9 with Utopias (Yggy and R2R 7 balanced, Hugo 2 SE) listening to Three Guitars, where with the Yggy and R2R 7 sting plucks are a bit more "one note", with the Hugo 2, I can make out the underlying texture and vibration of the note decay.

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #5,744 of 22,467
That being said, level-matched into a Master 9 with Utopias (Yggy and R2R 7 balanced, Hugo 2 SE) listening to Three Guitars, where with the Yggy and R2R 7 sting plucks are a bit more "one note", with the Hugo 2, I can make out the underlying texture and vibration of the note decay.

In your estimation would the synergy between H2 and the Utopias be the reason, or does the H2 just have a higher degree of resolution regardless of HP?

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #5,745 of 22,467
Yay! Good to hear as Daft Punk is my favorite music group ever and it's essential for them to sound good on all of the audio stuff I own haha. Am definitely looking into getting Hugo 2 for an upgrade from Mojo and Gungnir Multibit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back