Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 23, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #12,977 of 22,467
Hi, got my hugo 2 and van Nuys case two days back. It's on burn in now and I occasionally give it a listen. So far it's blowing my mind!
Currently using a samsung i5 gen 7 12" book running roon connected to a 4tb hard drive. It's a usb c only type computer. Anyone have recommendations on good cables? Usb c to hugo 2 ( micro) or usb A to micro( will have to use an adapter for the A to c part). Right now I'm using a generic usb c to micro cable I picked up on Amazon for 7 bucks or so.
The other configurations are KANN to hugo and onkyo dp-s1 to hugo. A good micro to micro cable would also be helpful.
As for the hugo2 sound with meze 99 classics....OMG!!!!
Please do write in with your cable recommends.
Thanks!

May 23, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #12,978 of 22,467
@UELong, I have jitterbug and ifi isilencer 3.0 both. I tested both one by one. jitterbug clearly made the difference in the form of warmer sound and focused vocals but isilencer had little to no effect to sound. I don't know if the isilencer also requires burn in as the isilencer was new.

May 24, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #12,979 of 22,467
@UELong, I have jitterbug and ifi isilencer 3.0 both. I tested both one by one. jitterbug clearly made the difference in the form of warmer sound and focused vocals but isilencer had little to no effect to sound. I don't know if the isilencer also requires burn in as the isilencer was new.
Thanks, RKT. I think I'll leave well enough alone, in that case. Sounds like I already have a good thing.

May 25, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #12,981 of 22,467
Is there really any such thing for us in the audiophile world?
Depends on how you look at it. I don't have my DAVE/Blu2, my LCD-4Z, or any other expensive audio candy I could lust for. But, I already have a good system with no complaints. And about 11,000 songs. Life's great.

May 25, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #12,982 of 22,467
Depends on how you look at it. I don't have my DAVE/Blu2, my LCD-4Z, or any other expensive audio candy I could lust for. But, I already have a good system with no complaints. And about 11,000 songs. Life's great.

Access to millions of songs and albums through Spotify and Tidal has been life-changing for me. It's the main reason I wound up buying a lot of head-fi gear. I do think that, at some point, we should remind ourselves that our system is 'good enough' and just focus on enjoying music. We're lucky to live in a time when the technology has reached a point where an excellent system can be assembled at reasonable cost, and we can even own multiple high-quality headphones/IEMs in order to experience the same music in different ways.

May 25, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #12,983 of 22,467

I was only partial tongue in cheek.

Sometimes I feel as you do, but every so often, I wonder..."if I added this..." For the most part, it is "about the music" but when someone posts something, I sometimes think, "if you don't read it, you won't want it."

11,000 songs....awesome!

May 25, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #12,984 of 22,467
It is very impressive. It's so impressive we elected to make a sizable pre-order with Chord because we're pretty sure this will be a very high demand product. We don't always agree with Jude's assessments but on this we totally conquer. It is clearly not a DAVE but for its price, SQ and features, it really is an impressive value. No doubt the best portable amp/DAC you can purchase (soon) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

An oldie but goodie.

May 26, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #12,985 of 22,467
Upgraded included toslink cable to a $15 cable from a company that actually make 50 meters toslink cables (Lindy) and I'm shocked, It sounds better, more detailed, less glare, more depth, more focus. I don't understand how this is possible, I thought digital is digital and hugo 2 is not susceptible to jitter, but it seems somehow sound was altered even if I didn't heard artifacts. I also noticed there is more light coming out and is more focused than that included with hugo 2.

I recommend optical for Chord DACs, you lose way too much details on USB no matter how much filtering you are doing.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #12,986 of 22,467
Could you expand on why you prefer optical. I'm currently using optical from an imac into mojo with stellar results. If i get a TT2 i will have to decide between optical/usb.

May 26, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #12,987 of 22,467
Could you expand on why you prefer optical. I'm currently using optical from an imac into mojo with stellar results. If i get a TT2 i will have to decide between optical/usb.
How are you getting optical out of the iMac? Do newer iMacs have optical?

May 26, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #12,988 of 22,467
I have a late 2013 27"imac. Quad core i5, 8gb ram, 512gb ssd, dedicated nvidia graphics. A roon monster machine.:desktop:

AFAIK optical is discontinued on mac but double check. Some windows laptops still have optical out i believe. I would never use a usb to optical/coax convertor as it can corrupt the original signal i feel.

I have a windows hp laptop assigned to roon bridge duties for TT2 if i can elevate myself into TT2 land. Here the imac controls the laptop wirelessly on a shared home network running roon.

Currently listening to Cinema Paradiso on the Chris Botti (trumpet virtuoso) album when i fall in love Roon.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #12,989 of 22,467
i figured out how to connect to the imac using the optical adapter included with hugo 2. the interesting thing is unlike usb in roon the device (hugo 2) does not show up as a zone. however i can play back via my computer and yet still control on hugo 2 in optical mode using the hugo 2 for volume and using the zone of my desktop. in this mode it is not playing loseless but instead is displaying the green light in roon. then i tried turning on hq player and this was also effective and is now sounding good and now playing loseless again. don't understand why roon won't see the hugo 2 as a zone like it does with usb but interesting to know i can do it this way. for what it's worth i am on a late 2013 imac 3.5ghz i7. it sounds different using this method for sure and i feel like hq player sounds way better (much more open, if that makes sense) in this method over usb. another interesting note is now with hq player everything is playing in 88.2 khz. i went to the midi controller on imac the digital output is set to 2 ch 24 bit integer 88.2khz. i can change it but it seems to sound most normal as this. does optical change 44.1 to 88.2? sorry if these are dumb questions but this is all new to me.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #12,990 of 22,467
DSC01029 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back