Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 26, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #12,287 of 22,467
I'll weigh in, only because I own the Hugo 2 and have recently bought a few things based on Vlad's glowing recommendations...only to be confused why anyone with ears would turn to him for buying advice, but that's me. I've learned my lesson with Vlad.
I will start by saying that I echo some of his sentiments. I love my Hugo 2 for everything it does, plenty of detail and plenty of power. I can throw it into my system at home, or take it to the office. But, I DO find it a bit "shrill" at times (for reasons still unknown to me), specifically when paired with my Utopias. I prefer it paired with my AEON Flow Closed for a more "musical" laid back experience. The shrillness is gone listening to the same songs on a "lesser" DAC and/or "lesser" headphones. I've learned to appreciate what's great about the Hugo 2, and to accept what's flawed about it as well. 5.5 though? Are you sure that wasn't the score reserved for the Poly?

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #12,288 of 22,467
Blue Jeans Cables - BJC LC1 RCA Cable

BJC LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables, 3 foot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OJLNEOU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YRI4AbXZ24XT6

I am happy to report that Blue Jeans Cable’s RCA plugs work with the RCA sockets of the Hugo 2. It is a fairly inexpensive RCA cable and has a solid build. One thing to note is, the RCA connectors on the cable are a little longer than standard RCA plugs. So if your equipment is placed too close to the wall, it may not work. Also, because of the heavy duty build, it is not too flexible/pliable.

Word of Caution: Please make sure the RCA connectors of the cable are not putting too much stress on the RCA ports of the Hugo 2.

96B7F72F-A0EF-4141-868B-9A8E0ACB9B54.jpeg
6EC57F17-A7EA-4DE0-993F-BB4CEB6614A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #12,289 of 22,467
First, plus one on BJC! Blue Jeans is a small company locally here in Seattle making quality cables without charging insanity. Although I like to use something with lighter cables for the H2 for the sake of preserving the ports.

Save those rca ports from frequent insertion. The kegel of rca jacks, grab yourself a set of mediabridge 90* adapters and use ANY rca inters. Cheap on amazon and doesn't cloud the signal. I'm also thinking of getting magnetic micro-usb cables for the charger port to save that port as well (also available cheaply online).

Pardon the dust, shows how much I've touched my main rig since acquiring the Hugo2 (portability fidelity to the max, forgetaboutit). I feed the H2 with the Fiio X7ii via coax or toslink depending on where I am... both on battery and no strings you can have that deep analog sound any time of day. None of that noise via USB stuff either... it's a surprise not more are ditching their computer for even a mid level dap with optical/coax out like the X5mk3 at ~$350 to feed their H2s

20180426_133305_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #12,290 of 22,467
First, plus one on BJC! Blue Jeans is a small company locally here in Seattle making quality cables without charging insanity. Although I like to use something with lighter cables for the H2 for the sake of preserving the ports.

Save those rca ports from frequent insertion. The kegel of rca jacks, grab yourself a set of mediabridge 90* adapters and use ANY rca inters. Cheap on amazon and doesn't cloud the signal. I'm also thinking of getting magnetic micro-usb cables for the charger port to save that port as well (also available cheaply online).

Pardon the dust, shows how much I've touched my main rig since acquiring the Hugo2 (portability fidelity to the max, forgetaboutit). I feed the H2 with the Fiio X7ii via coax or toslink depending on where I am... both on battery and no strings you can have that deep analog sound any time of day. None of that noise via USB stuff either... it's a surprise not more are ditching their computer for even a mid level dap with optical/coax out like the X5mk3 at ~$350 to feed their H2s

I believe JaZZ does just that with the X5, sometimes. I might still do it with my old X5, one day, except the USB doesn't bug me. But, that idea makes sence.

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #12,291 of 22,467
Awww, I wanna share too (^_^), even though I don't have those cables.

Not as cool as most of y'all, but my setup.

For classical orchestral and opera: iMac-Wyrd-Jot-iFi-HD800
For electric: iMac-Wyrd-H2-iFi-HD800 or T1
For acoustical: iMac-Wyrd-H2-Utopia

DSC00281.jpg

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #12,292 of 22,467
That reviewer from verge probably find precise transients from hugo 2 to be too clinical. I don't know how can a dark hp like audeze lcd2 sound bright using hugo 2. But I need to listen myself to conclude anything.

Transients on my mojo are a bit on precise side and I personally don't find it too clinical, someone could easily feel that way.

He enjoys tube amps so his preferences are opposite of what you get from a chord dac.

Review is a good read and is legit audiophile. I thought verge was a mainstream publication.

Reading his review reminded me of my own impressions of the Anedio D1 many years ago. This was the first 'value' Sabre DAC at about $1200 or so. The first day I had it I was super impressed, but after a week of listening I turned around and sold it. As impressive as it was it sucked out the joy of listening to music for me and well had an edginess in the treble I found offputting unless I kept the volume reasonable. I was scratching my head big-time as there were no detractors in the huge Head-fi thread in its honor.

Vlad has been the sole reviewer on all things audio for them for several years now. He seems to be as knowledgable as a typical head-fier.

That said, the Hugo 2 was my personal highlight of LA CanJam last year. It sounded miraculous w/ my Andromedas, so much so that I couldn't stop thinking of getting together the coin to purchase one. I don't know if that opinion would change over time, but it was very much a love at first listen experience.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #12,293 of 22,467
This was such an amazing setup together, I've always said that SRM1 needed a tube in the path to sound fantastic until I heard it with the H2. Unfortunately I had some ridiculously spendy medical bills to pay from February so I had to sell the precious. It was taken in with a good family though, right next to it's younger family the 007 and 009 -- rightfully holding it's own too.

Also more angles on the mediabridge right angle adapters for the RCA. These interconnects in these pictures were very right to fit into the H2 by themselves, the 90* adapters worked their charm.

20180316_232424.jpg

20180316_232551.jpg

20180316_232617.jpg

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #12,294 of 22,467
From my point of view I think Vlad has probably got the Hugo2 review right when you consider his audience and the fact that The Verge is a technology lifestyle / commentary web magazine, not a hardcore audiophile site.

Taking The Verge’s readership into account, then you’re talking about the people that probably have money to spend, but their interests lie more with general technology rather than specifically with audio. While they’ll quite happily spend a $1000 for the latest and greatest smartphone, the value proposition falls off rapidly for a single function box that costs $2500.

I also tend to agree with the negatives in the review when applying them to a typical Verge reader.

First off is the treble situation. Now this is very subjective but having heard the Hugo2 at length I can see what Vlad is talking about, and while I appreciate detail pace and resolution of the Hugo2 it can be a bit too much on some genres of music with a headphone that also lilts towards treble. Not everybody listens to carefully prepared audiophile recordings, and the Hugo2 can be ruthless with less than perfect productions. When you want to kick back and chill to your favourite album this is probably what a lot of people don’t want.

As for the intuitiveness of the controls, well Vlad is bang on here. The first major failing here is that it has no touch screen. Laugh all you want at that, but for the smartphone generation that is a big fail in usability. Couple that with buttons that are not immediately obvious in what they do, and a volume control that if you didn’t know it was a volume control you might never find it then you have an intuitiveness fail. In the course of my work I frequently come across people who will try for hours to get something to work, but will absolutely refuse to read the manual. When asked why they didn’t read the manual, the answer is almost always „I shouldn’t have to these days“ - people just expect everything to be obvious.

Regarding micro USB ports, yes they are fragile. They only survive so many plugging cycles, and with the wrong force at the wrong angle they will break away - this is actually a very common failure IME. So Vlad’s right again. Also microUSB may as well have come out of the Jurassic period as far as many a Verge reader is concerned. In Chords defence however, I would say that microUSB was probably the only viable option when the Hugo2 was on the drawing board.

Vlad’s review isn’t aimed at us, it’s aimed at the readers of the Verge, and their readership differs in priorities to Head-Fi’s readership, and in that respect I think that Vlad generally gets it right. Even if one of his reviews is at odds with the general audiophile opinions of a product I can generally see exactly where he’s coming from.

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #12,295 of 22,467
I'd rather have a ruthlessly transparent DAC and soften it with the speaker/headphone/and-or (pre)amp. If you get a DAC that doesn't produce the detail you can't make that up down the chain but i hear you on that site's target audience. Imo a phone more than $400 before contract discounts is a complete waste of $ but what do i know.

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #12,296 of 22,467
Is there any comparisons between Hugo 2 and wm1z/sp1000? Im guessing hugo being more of a transportable, it would be superior to DAPs, but im wondering how much of a difference it would be. If anyone can share their experience with Hugo and TOTL DAPs, it would help me greatly in finding a pair for my laylas and A18t.

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #12,297 of 22,467
From my point of view I think Vlad has probably got the Hugo2 review right when you consider his audience and the fact that The Verge is a technology lifestyle / commentary web magazine, not a hardcore audiophile site.

Taking The Verge’s readership into account, then you’re talking about the people that probably have money to spend, but their interests lie more with general technology rather than specifically with audio. While they’ll quite happily spend a $1000 for the latest and greatest smartphone, the value proposition falls off rapidly for a single function box that costs $2500.

I also tend to agree with the negatives in the review when applying them to a typical Verge reader.

First off is the treble situation. Now this is very subjective but having heard the Hugo2 at length I can see what Vlad is talking about, and while I appreciate detail pace and resolution of the Hugo2 it can be a bit too much on some genres of music with a headphone that also lilts towards treble. Not everybody listens to carefully prepared audiophile recordings, and the Hugo2 can be ruthless with less than perfect productions. When you want to kick back and chill to your favourite album this is probably what a lot of people don’t want.

As for the intuitiveness of the controls, well Vlad is bang on here. The first major failing here is that it has no touch screen. Laugh all you want at that, but for the smartphone generation that is a big fail in usability. Couple that with buttons that are not immediately obvious in what they do, and a volume control that if you didn’t know it was a volume control you might never find it then you have an intuitiveness fail. In the course of my work I frequently come across people who will try for hours to get something to work, but will absolutely refuse to read the manual. When asked why they didn’t read the manual, the answer is almost always „I shouldn’t have to these days“ - people just expect everything to be obvious.

Regarding micro USB ports, yes they are fragile. They only survive so many plugging cycles, and with the wrong force at the wrong angle they will break away - this is actually a very common failure IME. So Vlad’s right again. Also microUSB may as well have come out of the Jurassic period as far as many a Verge reader is concerned. In Chords defence however, I would say that microUSB was probably the only viable option when the Hugo2 was on the drawing board.

Vlad’s review isn’t aimed at us, it’s aimed at the readers of the Verge, and their readership differs in priorities to Head-Fi’s readership, and in that respect I think that Vlad generally gets it right. Even if one of his reviews is at odds with the general audiophile opinions of a product I can generally see exactly where he’s coming from.
So, Vlad's readers are lazy, sighted and self-indulgent. Touchscreens aren't intuitive or convenient. And the microUSB jacks are useful where needed. If you don't want to break them, for Bog's sake, don't.

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #12,300 of 22,467
Regarding micro USB ports, yes they are fragile. They only survive so many plugging cycles, and with the wrong force at the wrong angle they will break away - this is actually a very common failure IME. So Vlad’s right again. Also microUSB may as well have come out of the Jurassic period as far as many a Verge reader is concerned. In Chords defence however, I would say that microUSB was probably the only viable option when the Hugo2 was on the drawing board..

For the price they are charging there is no excuse for the poor build quality, You can get a cell phone for almost nothing that has a micro usb port that is made to last. Regarding the user interface, colored balls, etc, you either like it or you don't. Chord seems it think it is very clever. Just vote with your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back