Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 16, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #12,123 of 22,465
Wow. That can't be good for your long term hearing. Only with HD 700's did I sometimes go to blue.

Makes sure your DAP's volume is maxed out btw. A few times I forgot to max out the volume and ended up listening at much higher levels than I normally do.

Apr 16, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #12,127 of 22,465
If the dap is outputting bitperfect digital signal then volume change should make no difference.

Mmmm.. the operative word, there, being 'IF'

It can be all too easy to assume bit-perfection is being respected and maintained, when it might not be, depending on the digital transport (also any apps) being used.

You may recall a couple of quotes from Rob, ages ago, in post #3 of the Mojo thread:

You can always do a listening test. If set to max against 50% say, and it hardens up (becomes brighter) with loud recordings then its clipping. If on the other hand the perception of sound-stage depth is reduced, then the volume control is degrading the sound.

If you do that test and can hear no difference then don't worry, its a good app volume control.

Rob

PS for fun I just did a very quick test using Dave. I listen to radio 3 using the BBC iPlayer. I normally have it set to max. I reduced the iPlayer volume control to half, boosted Dave volume control by +6dB - and yes I felt sound-stage depth was worse with lower iPlayer volume.

It is always better to give Mojo bit perfect files and let Mojo do the work, as the processing within Mojo is much more complex and sophisticated than a mobile or PC.

So when you have an app that has a volume control, and no bit perfect setting, then set it to full volume on the app on the assumption that this will keep the data closer to the original file.

The volume control function on Mojo is much more sophisticated than the PC as I employ noise shaping and I do the function at a very high internal sample rate. Hopefully using the volume set to max on the app will mean the volume coefficient is 1.0000000... so it will return the original data.

Rob

Would that life, even if just within the digital domain, were simple, but then again, if it were, folks like Rob would be out of a job! :D

Apr 16, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #12,128 of 22,465
@boomtube , nice setup. How many hours of playback do you get on your 1A when feeding digital signal into the Hugo 2?
Close to 500 hrs. on the WM1A...Hugo2 is in perpetual desktop mode (always plugged and charging/pink)

@EagleWings ...I've never used the WM1A outside of the H2...everything is on my desktop in semi-transportable mode.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #12,130 of 22,465
500 Hrs? :astonished:

Just checking if that was a typo with an extra zero, or if it is really 500.
My misunderstanding...I have no idea how many hrs. I could get out of the WM1A stand alone...the 500 hrs was just how long I've used the DAP w/ the H2...they've always been together. Digitally, close to 8 hrs. I'm OCD about keeping all my gear fully charged, can't really give you an accurate time/number/hr. etc.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #12,131 of 22,465
Thanks for your kind comment about the master class.
I think I have posted on the qutest thread about the exact same thing; the delay of different DPLL from different DAC's, and the short answer is that the DPLL was designed to minimise the buffer delay, whilst ensuring that the source jitter is eliminated. So you can use a Hugo 2 and a qutest together from the same SPDIF source and the delay will not be noticeable. Checkout my earlier post...it was not long ago.

Hi Rob

Long story short, I'm seeing about 29ms delay with the Hugo 2, seems quite long, does that sound reasonable to you?

Thank you!

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #12,134 of 22,465
Does anyone know which head/earphones Chord used when developing the Hugo 2? I've heard that they've paired with the LCD-2 and LCD-4 at shows, so I gather that they may be Audeze fans.

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #12,135 of 22,465
Does anyone know which head/earphones Chord used when developing the Hugo 2? I've heard that they've paired with the LCD-2 and LCD-4 at shows, so I gather that they may be Audeze fans.
AQ Night Owl or Carbon or something. Whichever it was they are warm sounding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back