Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 26, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #2,267 of 22,467
some sade tracks ive overlooked there. i normally listen to all her best of tracks....... will try some of your sade tracks now

thats a great minimalist system in excess of 2K just there. 

what sonic difference does mrendu bring?

Hey buddy, the mRendu and even LPS-1 are coming up a lot now on the 2nd hand market. A lot of people going to try the SoTM SMS-200 which has been getting really great reviews.

But it's really an incredible USB audio source - every component on the board is selected for USB audio performance only. Much like a really high quality USB audio sound card except this is galvanically isolated (everyones favourites words lol) from both AC mains and the PC power, when used with the Uptone LPS-1. What all that means in the end though, needs to be heard to hear the impact made.

And if you can get it 2nd hand, it's much cheaper than a top end USB audio sound card (like JPLAY and SoTM make).

For a desktop setup, even hearing about the SoTM SMS-200 being possibly better than the microRendu, I'm in absolutely no rush. Once you have a really good USB audio source or galvanic isolation of the Mojo/Hugo USB input, then that's end game. You can just enjoy the best possible sound of the Mojo/Hugo (unless you're happy with <24/192 music in which case Toslink will get you there far cheaper)

Btw the iFi iGalvanic3.0 price has been announced - USD 299. That looks to be the most cost effective USB galvanic isolation + USB sginal regeneration device released, all in one metal box. If it performs as well as previous iFi products, then this will really sell like hot cakes. And makes for a really nice addition to a Mojo or Hugo 1 or Hugo 2.

Back to more important things - THE MUSIC. Yes Sade is really great stuff. I prefer the original CD's to the re-mastered stuff on Tidal (lower dynamic range with the re-mastered versions) but you can still tap your foot to both versions, the most important thing :)

Someone asked why isn't Sade released in Hi-Res... Someone in the know mentioned on another forum that the master tapes of her early albums aren't in great enough shape at the moment for Hi-Res treatment. "Is It A Crime?" Yes it is :frowning2:

lol

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #2,268 of 22,467

some sade tracks ive overlooked there. i normally listen to all her best of tracks....... will try some of your sade tracks now

thats a great minimalist system in excess of 2K just there. 

what sonic difference does mrendu bring?

Hey buddy, the mRendu and even LPS-1 are coming up a lot now on the 2nd hand market. A lot of people going to try the SoTM SMS-200 which has been getting really great reviews.

But it's really an incredible USB audio source - every component on the board is selected for USB audio performance only. Much like a really high quality USB audio sound card except this is galvanically isolated (everyones favourites words lol) from both AC mains and the PC power, when used with the Uptone LPS-1. What all that means in the end though, needs to be heard to hear the impact made.

And if you can get it 2nd hand, it's much cheaper than a top end USB audio sound card (like JPLAY and SoTM make).

For a desktop setup, even hearing about the SoTM SMS-200 being possibly better than the microRendu, I'm in absolutely no rush. Once you have a really good USB audio source or galvanic isolation of the Mojo/Hugo USB input, then that's end game. You can just enjoy the best possible sound of the Mojo/Hugo (unless you're happy with <24/192 music in which case Toslink will get you there far cheaper)

Btw the iFi iGalvanic3.0 price has been announced - USD 299. That looks to be the most cost effective USB galvanic isolation + USB sginal regeneration device released, all in one metal box. If it performs as well as previous iFi products, then this will really sell like hot cakes. And makes for a really nice addition to a Mojo or Hugo 1 or Hugo 2.

Back to more important things - THE MUSIC. Yes Sade is really great stuff. I prefer the original CD's to the re-mastered stuff on Tidal (lower dynamic range with the re-mastered versions) but you can still tap your foot to both versions, the most important thing :)

Someone asked why isn't Sade released in Hi-Res... Someone in the know mentioned on another forum that the master tapes of her early albums aren't in great enough shape at the moment for Hi-Res treatment. "Is It A Crime?" Yes it is :frowning2:

lol

No Sade hi-res...that's certainly a crime. Sade is a soulfully beautiful artist with a beautiful voice.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #2,271 of 22,467
The official specs:

Hugo¹                                              Hugo²                                              DAVE
0070 mW  at 300 Ω                    0094 mW  at 300 Ω                    0154 mW  at 300 Ω
0580 mW  at 033 Ω                    0740 mW  at 033 Ω                    1400 mW  at 033 Ω
0720 mW  at 008 Ω                    1050 mW  at 008 Ω                    2900 mW  at 008 Ω  (estimated)

(already posted in the DAVE thread)

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #2,272 of 22,467
  The official specs:

Hugo¹                                              Hugo²                                              DAVE
0070 mW  at 300 Ω                    0094 mW  at 300 Ω                    0154 mW  at 300 Ω
0580 mW  at 033 Ω                    0740 mW  at 033 Ω                    1400 mW  at 033 Ω
0720 mW  at 008 Ω                    1050 mW  at 008 Ω                    2900 mW  at 008 Ω  (estimated)

thanks
Do I wait for Mojo 2 for something that will sound close to Hugo 2 for less, or buy the Hugo 2 now? 
basshead.gif

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #2,273 of 22,467
I was thinking about something a bit more fancy, along the lines of printed stickers or something like that. If you seriously wanted to criticize DAVE my gripes would be that it has no line level inputs, no spdif input (it has four BNC coax inputs for crying out loud, would it have killed them to make one of them a normal spdif?) and the stand is not included. 

Well, BNC is the proper standard for coaxial, RCA is a convenience. It would be nice though.

Line level inputs would likely not be useful if not actually using the DAVE's DAC as the analogue stage is not configured for 'other' DACs. There's no separate analogue filter stage, buffer stage, or gain stage so a line level input would be rather useless with an external DAC.

Agree 100% on the stand.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #2,275 of 22,467
Wish I never sold my hugo,now the weather is picking up you can't beat listening to iems while sitting in the garden through the hugo using an iPad with a nice bottle of Shiraz to swill down

Thats why i wont sell mojo, always around for portable use.

Heres a question i dont think anyone has asked, does Hugo2 have auto shut off feature?

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #2,277 of 22,467

The official specs:

thanks
Do I wait for Mojo 2 for something that will sound close to Hugo 2 for less, or buy the Hugo 2 now? 
basshead.gif

If I was in your place, I'd treat Hugo and Mojo line as the diferent products they are.  You could either enjoy the H2 now, or wait without one for a possible future upgrade to a Mojo2.  I'm going for the Hugo2 and enjoying the uptake, now.
I also use it as a desktop, and don't need the Mojo to improve my DAP.
If you wait, you may always be trading present enjoyment for a nebulous future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back