Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 2, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #18,316 of 22,433
aren't the T5P's primarily more for mobile devices? I am curious how T1.2 sounds on the Chord stack.
The T5P's have a lowish impedance so mobile phones and DAP's shouldn't have any issues with powering them.
However the better the source the more they will shine. For my ears they have great synergy with the Mojo and Hugo 2.
Note that I had them connected to a Beyerdynamic A2 headphone amp using both the Mojo and Hugo2 just as a DAC. The T5P Gen 2's showed the A2 was veiling the music and not showing the Mojo and Hugo 2 their full potential. The same was when using a Violectric V280 balanced and single jack headphone output which in fact was more veiling than the A2.
I also tested the T1 Gen 2 for two weeks along with the HD800S's with the same rigs as the T5p Gen 2. The T5P out performed them so I returned the T1 back to Amazon and sold my HD800S's.
Today I got the ok that I can return the ex-demo Meze Empyrean's back to the hifi shop.

Apr 3, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #18,317 of 22,433
Please accept my apologies if this question has already been answered, from my own search of this thread (and internet) I cannot find an answer. I am currently quarantined (I live in Italy) and I have left the original chord charger somewhere inaccessible.

Can I use my 12W apple iPad charger to charge my Hugo2 or do I risk damaging the Hugo2?

Apr 3, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #18,318 of 22,433
Please accept my apologies if this question has already been answered, from my own search of this thread (and internet) I cannot find an answer. I am currently quarantined (I live in Italy) and I have left the original chord charger somewhere inaccessible.

Can I use my 12W apple iPad charger to charge my Hugo2 or do I risk damaging the Hugo2?
Should not be a problem but it will take longer. 12/24=0.5 amps.

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #18,322 of 22,433
It’s 5v and 2.4 amps, not 0.5 amps
Argh. I was working on some 24v analog loops for a sewage plant design and had 24v stuck in my brain. I thought it was a bit low. Thanks

Apr 3, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #18,323 of 22,433
If you're going to use the Hugo 2 in desktop mode, you ideally want a 2.1A or higher charger. I think newer iPad chargers will do that, but I am not 100% sure.

.I don't know what all the hype was about with these Meze's :triportsad:

The problem I reckon is with the stock cable. After I re-cabled them they are fantastic.

Apr 4, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #18,326 of 22,433
If you're going to use the Hugo 2 in desktop mode, you ideally want a 2.1A or higher charger. I think newer iPad chargers will do that, but I am not 100% sure.

The problem I reckon is with the stock cable. After I re-cabled them they are fantastic.
Using it portable (charge and then discharge during use) So more worried that the higher amperage will somehow "overload" and ruin the rechargeable cells.

PS: Love your reviews, bought a Shure KSE1200 mainly on your recommendation and have to say I love it to bits.

Apr 4, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #18,327 of 22,433
Has anyone here had the rme adi-2 dac?
How does it compare in sound to the Hugo 2?

I had Hugo 2 for about one year and an half and I have Adi-2 since beginning of January.
Both are very good but very different.
Adi is very neutral and Hugo 2 is more “bold” and “organic”.
I believe Adi is more a professional tool and H2 a music lover piece of gear.
Adi output is more quieter than H2 (Andromeda hissed a bit with H2).
Power supply is much better on Adi ( I needed an iFi groundhog to ground my system with H2).
SQ it’s a matter of taste.
To me, H2 sounds better than Adi but it’s my own taste.
H2 is more portable than Adi.
Overall I think the price gap is adjusted.

Edit: since I have Adi and Mojo, I believe I have the best of both worlds. Mojo gives me a fraction of the organic and bold sound of H2 and I can live with it. Adi is fantastic to be isolated because COVID. I can listen 10 hours or more in a day without fatigue, even with Xelento.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #18,328 of 22,433
Hi everyone,
Facing wierd issues with the Hugo 2, using it with Windows 10 and USB cable (Audioquest) and Denon D9200 headphones.

1. Audio comes out from the headphones with very bad noise, its not a hiss or background noise but just like the play is totally a mess and sound is terrible
- Note that when connected to my laptop and not this desktop pc, with the same windows, same configuration and driver, all works fine.
- Tried changing the driver, player, hz, etc'
2. Due to this issue with USB, i tried with SPDIF and stereo worked fine, but when i try to play DTS movies trough the Windows 10 build in Dolbi Atmos, the audio comes out only as huge noise, assuming you can not play such codecs trough the Hugo2?

Would love to hear any tip for fixing these issues.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #18,329 of 22,433
Hi everyone,
Facing wierd issues with the Hugo 2, using it with Windows 10 and USB cable (Audioquest) and Denon D9200 headphones.

1. Audio comes out from the headphones with very bad noise, its not a hiss or background noise but just like the play is totally a mess and sound is terrible
- Note that when connected to my laptop and not this desktop pc, with the same windows, same configuration and driver, all works fine.
- Tried changing the driver, player, hz, etc'
2. Due to this issue with USB, i tried with SPDIF and stereo worked fine, but when i try to play DTS movies trough the Windows 10 build in Dolbi Atmos, the audio comes out only as huge noise, assuming you can not play such codecs trough the Hugo2?

Would love to hear any tip for fixing these issues.

Hello,

I cannot help you for the first issue but Hugo 2 only support stereo so you have to downgrade your dts channel to Stereo before sending to H2.
For first issue perhaps try to re-install drivers...

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #18,330 of 22,433
I have a similar problem when trying to play games on my pc with a hugo 2. When i load up a game the sound becomes slow and distorted. Is there a workaround to play games with it? Im guessing because the sound is 5.1 and not stereo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back