Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 14, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #17,596 of 22,467
Why not? Christmas day presents are for children. Many people (eg adult audiophiles) wait till the Boxing day sales start, then they can get the present that they wanted, but at 50% reduction.
Just imagine a Hugo 2 + 2Go Christmas box set, on sale for £1500 - sorry @Mojo ideas if that attempt at humour has made you faint :wink:

Ok, well, thanks for enlightening me. My thinking was along the lines that people will most likely not have a lot of money left over after all Christmas expenses have been covered but I suppose Chord buyers have deep pockets.

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #17,597 of 22,467
Ok, well, thanks for enlightening me. My thinking was along the lines that people will most likely not have a lot of money left over after all Christmas expenses have been covered but I suppose Chord buyers have deep pockets.
It is not a question of deep pockets, more a question of self control.
Some people cannot resist the marketing and peer pressure to gorge themselves on food, alcohol, and thousands of pounds of overpriced tat before christmas.
Other people have more self control, and can resist the marketing - they can buy their major presents any day of the year, if they want.
:slight_smile:

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #17,598 of 22,467
Why not? Christmas day presents are for children. Many people (eg adult audiophiles) wait till the Boxing day sales start, then they can get the present that they wanted, but at 50% reduction.
Just imagine a Hugo 2 + 2Go Christmas box set, on sale for £1500 - sorry @Mojo ideas if that attempt at humour has made you faint :wink:

it will be $1500 for 2Go, and then we’ll have to endure 100 pages of complaints about the price.

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #17,599 of 22,467
it will be $1500 for 2Go, and then we’ll have to endure 100 pages of complaints about the price.
For sure, and myself already "banco rotto" for this years Christmas shopping everything from 3d printers and tabletop ice hockey and soccer game for the kids....... all the above posts are hilarious, love it...at least the thread is awakening again.....myself is going to run over to the kitchen and make myself some popcorn and wait with anticipation on Chords next move.......or wait a second......I will probably run out of red wine and popcorn b4 we hear any more news on the 2GO.......

Dec 15, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #17,600 of 22,467
For sure, and myself already "banco rotto" for this years Christmas shopping everything from 3d printers and tabletop ice hockey and soccer game for the kids....... all the above posts are hilarious, love it...at least the thread is awakening again.....myself is going to run over to the kitchen and make myself some popcorn and wait with anticipation on Chords next move.......or wait a second......I will probably run out of red wine and popcorn b4 we hear any more news on the 2GO.......
Certainly if the 12 days of Hugo 2 hypothesis is true, then you need to go to the kitchen and cook a 20 kg stollen (or similar), and obtain a 20 litre barrel of fine single malt. Add some fine cheese, bread, olive oil, etc to taste.
Then if the final news about the 2Go disappoints you, then at least you will have enjoyed the buildup.
It is true that several of the threads have been subdued lately, but they can sometimes revitalise at Christmas - for some posters it is more fun joking about gear on head-fi, than having to endure talking face to face to their in-laws. :wink:

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #17,601 of 22,467
Certainly if the 12 days of Hugo 2 hypothesis is true, then you need to go to the kitchen and cook a 20 kg stollen (or similar), and obtain a 20 litre barrel of fine single malt. Add some fine cheese, bread, olive oil, etc to taste.
Then if the final news about the 2Go disappoints you, then at least you will have enjoyed the buildup.
It is true that several of the threads have been subdued lately, but they can sometimes revitalise at Christmas - for some posters it is more fun joking about gear on head-fi, than having to endure talking face to face to their in-laws. :wink:

If 2Go news fails, while I follow the above directions,

would I even notice?

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #17,603 of 22,467
Does anyone seriously believe that Chord will launch 2Go AFTER everyone has done their Christmas shopping?

Absolutely.

Considering that a 2Go would be a portable product, and high-end portable head-fi is the most popular in Asian countries, that means the targeting period is actually the Chinese New Year spending spree when everyone gets their red pockets and CNY bonus from work, not the Christmas period of western countries.

EDIT: Chord once released a special Mojo+Poly Chinese New Year Special Edition in 2018, so that seems extremely possible to me because it means Chord is acutely aware of the CNY spending phenomenon.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #17,604 of 22,467

Well, $1500 is a huge ripoff. Streaming technology is super cheap. Apple 4K TV cost less than $200 for example.

You really think a streaming module should cost the same as my iPhone 11 Pro Max?

$1500 is only justified if it comes with a mini Mscalar build in.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #17,605 of 22,467
Well, $1500 is a huge ripoff. Streaming technology is super cheap. Apple 4K TV cost less than $200 for example.

You really think a streaming module should cost the same as my iPhone 11 Pro Max?

$1500 is only justified if it comes with a mini Mscalar build in.

They have to cover their costs. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Considering how much people are willing to pay for other Chord products and how much of a buzz is on about the 2Go I am sure people will be lining up to pay $1500, imagine all those millions of Chinese during the Chinese New Year!

Dec 16, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #17,606 of 22,467
They have to cover their costs. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Considering how much people are willing to pay for other Chord products and how much of a buzz is on about the 2Go I am sure people will be lining up to pay $1500, imagine all those millions of Chinese during the Chinese New Year!

This has nothing to do with costs as this is standard technology that can be found in even $350 smart speakers (the $500 Chord Poly doesn't even support Airplay 2 like these $350 smart speakers).

I'm sure there are people that are willing to pay $1500 for it, but not me indeed. For $1500, I expect a mini Mscalar build-in atleast.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #17,607 of 22,467
This has nothing to do with costs as this is standard technology that can be found in even $350 smart speakers.

I'm sure there are people that are willing to pay $1500 for it, but not me indeed. For $1500, I expect a mini Mscalar build-in atleast.

I'm sure the price will be higher than the tech inside it will warrant, but I'm not sure where you're getting this "mini Mscaler built-it". They just got to the point where they can accomplish what they want with the Mscaler in a fairly large, separate package.

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #17,608 of 22,467
Just my opinion but if the price is above that of a Poly, I expect it would have technology that goes up and beyond what is in the Poly. Difference in form factor wouldn't merit such proposed prices as $1500. You can buy a very nice DAP for that amount of money and send the signal to the Hugo2 when you want to plus have a truly portable solution. I expect i'll be wrong though.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #17,610 of 22,467
Ooh, I am working on my 24 days of Glögg (homemade and spiced with rom...) so I will for sure be in oblivion by Christmas eve....if the 2Go will continue to be a pipe dream does anyone have experience partnering the Roon Nucleus with the CH2, does it sound good? Any complaints, critique? Feedback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back