1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by ChordElectronics, Jan 5, 2017.
  1. musickid
    I live a solitary existence so my set up is fine....but i can imagine with families and large homes etc it would be different.:thinking:Those flow chart diagrams on roon threads show how complicated these networks can get with multizones. I try to limit what i don't really need to know and maximise what i do really need to know.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. TKpurple
    I think chord currently has quite big whole in their product line not having any modern day compact digital source except for the poly, ( which is great itself but limited to mojo only environment). I bought Hugo 2 almost 2 years ago in anticipation for 2go as best of two worlds transportable and home compact system, which would allow me to integrate various sources. Then HMS came and made things more complex but offered quite intoxicated sound quality jump. But still I have a quite a headache how to feed the hugo msclarer combo. Its not clear if 2go will be compatible with HMS. So currently I still use my old Fiio x 5 first gen as source but it lacks streaming. Using computer is not an option for me. So 2go if had HMS integration would be perfect.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  3. musickid
    This chord streamer DSX1000 even though discontinued is still in stock at many dealers for 9K. They do a junior one too. CODEX is the name selling for 3K. Again discontinued but still selling.

[​IMG]

4. Em2016
    Having multiple zones throughout the home (whether Roon or Chromecast or Airplay or Sonos) might look complicated and not something you want...

But for others, having music around the house in multiple rooms, is a pretty cool thing... at the press of a button, music playing in seconds.

The complicated network behind it all is invisible (when it's all working as it should, if properly setup).

Deftone and tekkster like this.
  5. musickid
    Samsung actually make very nice "smart" speakers. I was going to buy some but never did.

6. Em2016
    There's a reason it's been discontinued... it only supports DLNA/UPnP (and nothing else) on it's network input... things have moved on... you should know being a Roon user...

If 2Go only supported DLNA/UPnP and nothing else, there would be riots lol.

In 2019, a new streaming product really needs to support Bluetooth, Spotify Connect, Airplay 2, Chromecast Built-In, DLNA/UPnP (plus I'll add Roon since Poly already does).

Naim have it worked out with all their new networked products... This is the 2019 standard for networked inputs...

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 12.33.40 am.png

Deftone likes this.
  7. musickid
    I've listened to naim muso nothing outstanding. Pleasant that's all. Chord is exceptional so that's where my hard earned dosh goes.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  8. Em2016
    You misread. I said it's the standard for networked inputs offered. I never mentioned anything about sound quality....

It may be hard for you to appreciate this if you only know and care about optical from an iMac though. Nothing wrong with that, but it's hard to have the discussion about networked audio...

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 12.33.40 am.png

Deftone and SalvorHardin like this.
  9. musickid
    What's the point of up to date networked inputs if the sound quality is average? I listened carefully to muso and it's average .

10. Em2016
    Crikey. We're just talking about network inputs offered on ethernet RJ45 input, of 2Go (hopefully) and probably future Chord products (maybe...)

I give up lol.

11. musickid
    Crossed wires. You displayed the muso networked inputs from naim after stating chord's discontinued streamers were prehistoric. It sounded like you were comparing naim to chord. I then stated that muso sounds average irrespective of the up to date networked inputs so what good are they...:thinking:If you were trying to focus just on networked connectivity and its future i misunderstood. But then again i only care about imac's and their optical output.:deadhorse::deadhorse:

12. dontfeedphils
    Probably for the best. It's like arguing with a wall.

13. Em2016
    I'm not going to explain why up to date networked inputs are a good thing going forward... but that was not a screenshot about muso. Muso is not mentioned anywhere in the screenshot - you've imagine it?

That screenshot is about the new networking module they use, across all their new products, supports. It's those networked input options I am referring to as 'the standard' in 2019... I don't care about the sound quality of the actual Naim products that use this module... and it's not just Muso so please don't mention Muso again. My head is already hurting lol.

They have the right idea about what to support on networked input...

As I mentioned, in 2019, a new streaming product really needs to support Bluetooth, Spotify Connect, Airplay 2, Chromecast Built-In, DLNA/UPnP (plus I'll add Roon since Poly already does). Naim's new gear ticks all those boxes.

Anyway fingers crossed for 2Go lol. Let's leave it at that.

14. musickid
    Yes i hope chord pull something special out from the hat with 2go. They need to capitalise on hugo 2's success and go for the kill here. The only option i don't know about is zigbee remote but all of the other options in the naim networking module seem to be becoming industry standard. I think i was trying to say that even if chord does not release 2go in the way expected i would always revert back to chord because for me sound quality is paramount and i can somehow work around a lack of network connectivity if i had to. Of course many could not due to their home set ups etc.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  15. SalvorHardin
    Lots of companies have up-to-date connectivity without having the Chord SQ. Should they lay down in the middle of the road and pack it in? Just a thought.

Em2016 likes this.