1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by ChordElectronics, Jan 5, 2017.
  1. 514077
    I never liked that old saying! That's just for the spoiled rich, and not for people who have to budget for their desires. I don't believe a price has been determined yet.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Peter Hyatt, Pictograms and Progisus like this.
  2. 514077
    @Hooster,
    I'm not on Twitter; what was the jist of #2go?

3. miketlse
    The original concept described on head-fi was a Poly for the Hugo 2. This photo of a prototype was posted during CES 2018 https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-677#post-13968938 .
    Occasional posts have mentioned that the Poly firmware would be extended, to allow the 2Go to provide additional functionality. The photo shows 2 SD card slots, plus a network port, so presumably some of the 'extra functionality' was related to those elements.
    That just about sums up all the tidbits that Chord has trickled out since CES 2018, and some posters feared that the 2Go had died a death.

However this recent interview confirms the existence of 2Go, and implies that Poly and 2Go will be two members of a wider family of devices - but your guess is as good as anyones as to what are now the fine details about 2Go.

Peter Hyatt, 514077 and TKpurple like this.
  4. miketlse
    No one here on head-fi knows.
    If you need to get an advance idea of how much you need to save up, then consider this photo of an early prototype of the 2Go.
    I hope that the 2Go costs only £500, but I am assuming that in the real world, the price of the Poly represents the low end of the price range, and the metal cased Huei represents the top end of the price range.

Peter Hyatt and 514077 like this.
  5. SteveOliver
    Closest guess gets a free one :) I guess £999.

6. miketlse
    My gut feeling is that you would win. :wink:

SteveOliver likes this.
  7. Deftone
    If Poly is £100 more than Mojo i can see 2Go easily being around a grand.

SteveOliver likes this.
  8. flyte3333
    Since 2Go will feature an ethernet RJ45 input (per photo shared a while ago) I really hope it adds Chromecast Built-in and Apple Airplay 2 audio support...

Any new streaming products that don't add support for these two protocols (in addition to what Poly already supports) in 2019, has me scratching my head.

SteveOliver likes this.
  9. musickid
    Mscaler // hugo 2 users look like they would have no need for a 2go at home. I'm thinking the ethernet port.

10. flyte3333
    I imagine a future M-Scaler will have network input...

And I can't imagine Chord will limit RJ45 ethernet input to just 2Go for Hugo2... I don't think it's a stretch to imagine future Chord DAC's to incorporate them too..

11. musickid
    What advantage will an ethernet port equipped mscaler have over the present version. They would have engineered one in now if they were going to? An ethernet port that is.

12. greenkiwi
    It would presumably then be a network player.

flyte3333 likes this.
  13. flyte3333
    "They would have engineered one in now if they were going to" is like saying "they would have had a Poly for Hugo2 by now if they wanted to".... while we patiently wait for 2Go...

And the benefit of having an ethernet RJ45 input for M-Scaler would be the same for having one on 2Go...

We've had this discussion before and I know you have your iMac hooked up to your M-Scaler @musickid but the number of people that don't want a PC/Mac/Laptop in their living room or in dedicated listening room might be higher than you think...

This is why things like a Sonore microRendu (and others) are popular... it's a tiny thing, out of sight, very low power consumption...

So while an M-Scaler and/or DAC with network input may have no use for you, you may appreciate other people may use it very differently to you (and I). Also you're own usage may change in future...

And don't forget many people have more than one listening zone... and they may not want multiple Mac's/PC's all over the house for each listening zone...

You use Roon so I'm sure you're aware of it's multizone capabilities, even if you don't use it. It's quite popular (like Airplay and Chromecast multizone capabilities).

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  14. musickid
    I'm lucky to have an ultra high res imac screen but more importantly optical direct from my imac to mscaler. But apart from that yes my set up is listening at the desk whilst sometimes doing some very light web surfing. As a point of interest i researched the spdif out on my late 2013 (quad core 512gb ssd) imac and the headphone amp, internal dac and spdif out on the imac are of an extremely high quality made by the third party company Cirrus Logic. With Apple focusing on multimedia this makes sense. I could go the separate server route but see no advantage. It has been stated that a bit perfect optical signal sounds exactly the same when bit perfect irrespective of source. I will exploit optical out from my computer till i find better.

[​IMG]

15. flyte3333
    That's great and there are people that want the same benefits of optical but again, without an iMac in their listening room or living room... something like a Bluesound Node 2i or the other streamers out there with optical output... bit perfect to 24/192kHz also...

Wildcatsare1 likes this.