1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by ChordElectronics, Jan 5, 2017.
  1. musickid
    V5 super injection. lol

2. CreditingKarma
    I was using the hugo2 with the mscaler. I traded them for some two channel gear. I just picked up the metrum onyx and actually prefer it to the hugo 2. That is especially true with my two channel setup. The onyx is great with the Cavalli liquid platinum and the Abyss Diana Phi as well.

SteveOliver likes this.
  3. GreenBow
    By the way, something Rob Watts mentioned quite some time ago, was that some people posted ‘with an agenda’. (I think it was in this thread, or the Mojo thread Rob mentioned it.) I agree with him. However, while I have seen agenda too, I might not be aware of the same agenda that Rob was. I don’t know.

This post of mine is categorically not pointing the finger at anyone now, or referring to recent posts.

The explanation is basically this. In the UK we have a problem. There is a presenter on mainstream UK radio who runs a bad attitude whispering campaign. He manipulates people into propagating his whispers, by promising reward to people who follow his direction. E.g. like by using his whispering campaign, to offer take people radio presenter work onto his show. (Therefore making his whispers spread like wildfire.)

Anyway, this particular radio presenter has a problem with Chord Electronics, among others.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Peter Hyatt likes this.
  4. Em2016
    He talks about Chord (and others) on mainstream UK radio?

Or his comments about Chord (and others) come through a different medium?

I'm not in the UK, so apologies if I misunderstood.

5. SteveOliver
    You are not the only one, I have absolutely no idea what @GreenBow is talking about.

6. miketlse
    Well this is certainly a good attempt to start thousands of people whispering about who you may be talking about.

7. Light - Man
    Well my lips are sealed due to the new data protection regulation act here in Europe!

But this was my reaction when I first heard the rumor whispered...................

[​IMG]

Em2016 and Deftone like this.
  8. musickid
    Very nice natural presentation.:lips::lips:

9. SalvorHardin
    Thanks for a concise explanation, Mr. Wong. It does do quite a good job with my DSD.

10. SalvorHardin
    I'm of the mind that any cross-conversion could lose something in the translation. I'll let the H2 do the work with my DSD files.
    Oops, but Rob confirmed what I was thinking.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  11. Em2016
    I'm not sure the digital volume control is the reason DSD is converted to PCM?

Without even going into how ESS do it (for example), Chord Dave does not decimate DSD (when in DSD mode). Rob's other DACs do though.

Maybe @Rob Watts can expand.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  12. Currawong Contributor
    Not the only reason, according to Rob: Post #16412

13. Em2016
    When you say "Since the volume control is digital, all DSD has to be converted to PCM" it implies DSD must be converted PCM for digital volume control to work at all - but the full quote from Rob "is so we can add volume and crossfeed without degrading transparency."

But anyway, I'm more interested in how Dave (in DSD mode) does it differently to all of Rob's other DACs, i.e Dave does not decimate DSD...

SalvorHardin likes this.
  14. JaZZ Contributor
    From all I know DSP – including volume control, crossfeed/equalizing... – is (still) impossible with the DSD format.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  15. miksu8
    Here's my experience with Hugo2 and question related to M Scaler:

First some background: For long/casual listening I like analog sound better than digital. So I'm still enjoying more of the sound of C-cassettes I've recorded from radio in 90's than any digital sound device I've had so far. Maybe excluding my first Sony CD player also from 90's (broken long time ago).

Playing CD/HQ quality music from any recent digital device, including Hugo2, I can listen to max hour or 2, then ears start getting hot or sore. Of course technically digital sound is on another level from C-cassettes and it's fun to listen for short periods, just wondering how amazing dynamics and detail Hugo2 has.

I've had Hugo2 now over a year. It's connected to laptop through iFi USB galvanic isolator. Reason I still have it that for some reason compressed music is easy to listen. So i'm listening to youtube, mp3 etc easily for hours, and Hugo2 gives the best sound with them.

Now I got USB to optical bridge, MiniDSP USBStreamer, and with it Hugo2 changed quite a bit. Technically for the better, every CD I've tested sounds clearer, almost like some noise reduction applied compared to USB. More detailed midrange and bass, also more energy on those areas. So I must be getting quite a lot of RF noise through USB. But that's technically - now I can't even tolerate compressed music for more than an hour without getting tired. Maybe that RF noise is acting like dithering or something, making sound a bit softer and easier to listen.

My question is, preferring that softer analog/compressed digital sound, would Hugo TT 2 or M Scaler help? Anyone had similar experiences to mine?

Last edited: May 24, 2019