1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by ChordElectronics, Jan 5, 2017.
  1. dontfeedphils
    How would the H2 feed the MScaler? If the H2 is being fed digital info from the 2Go via USB that's the digital data it's going to work on and spit out analog on the other side. To use the MScaler with the H2 you need to feed the MScaler with digital first and then it passes the upscaled info to the H2 via dual coax.

2. dcfac73
    Sorry to be OT but how does the Hugo2 compare with the Woo WA11? Is the Woo in the same league? On the one hand the Chord has the better DAC but the Woo is balanced,and has a better amp, and is a third cheaper.

3. SalvorHardin
    One can only hope.

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  4. SalvorHardin
    Have you had an opertunity to listen to Ivan Fischer's version yet?

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  5. SalvorHardin
    Balanced, at least in the Chord domain, isn't necessarily better. More components may cause unnecessary sound degradation to a signal that's already quiet. If I understand correctly, balanced is mainly to cancel non-musical noise. Hopefully RW can restate the matter, or @miketls or Relic can find the appropriate links for you.

6. Em2016
    As Rob recently said, balanced may actually be better overall in certain systems...

it's impossible for him to guess which (balanced vs SE) will be better for every system on the planet.

Post #5281

Systems can be complicated...

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    SalvorHardin likes this.
  7. SalvorHardin
    Thanks. I meant it as a generalisation, as I understood Rob's thoughts on the issue. And you're right in that not everything is black and white.

Em2016 likes this.
  8. dcfac73
    Double post

9. dcfac73
    I for one hear an improvement in balanced systems, so do the rest of the staff at the hifi store I work at. Separation, imaging and clarity improve over se.
    Lots of things audiophiles agree and disagree on. The other big one is differences in sq between dacs.
    YMMV natch.

SalvorHardin and Em2016 like this.
  10. Em2016
    All good! But even he hasn't generalised about overall performance. He can say that the balanced outputs of his DACs are less transparent than SE and measure better on his DAC's outputs. But that's as far as he can go.

He has no idea what every person will connect their Chord DAC to, so he can't possibly predict performance with absolutely certainty. He could guess and it would be the most educated guess on the planet, but still a guess.

As per his quote, overall, balanced may be better in some systems.

I think too many people run with his specific comments about balanced vs SE output performance of his DACs and then assume SE is best all the time, regardless of what you hook up...

SalvorHardin likes this.
  11. dcfac73
    Back to my original question. Can anyone who's heard both give an impression specifically in relation to sound quality?

12. miketlse
    start by defining what you mean by better amp.
    For some people that means more transparent, or more power, or more bass uplift, or .....

13. dcfac73
    I meant just better sound quality overall, or if the Woo is in the same league, considering it's a third less expensive.

14. miketlse
    Your original post stated that the Woo had the better amp, so you must have formed that opinion based on certain criteria.
    I have not heard the Woo, but I know how good the Hugo 2 is, and I doubt that the Woo can compete seriously, but that is just my opinion.
    Is the Woo better, will be a personal judgement for most people, and dependent on what type of music they listen to, is it portable enough to be used when jogging, or at the gym, etc......
    If 99% of the customers at your hifi store, only want to listen to EDM streamed from their phone to the Woo, they may consider it to be 'the best thing since sliced bread', and far better for them than the Hugo 2.
    Conversely if 99% of the customers at your hifi store, want to listen to try and reproduce attending a classical concert, they may consider it to be lacking something, and worse for them than the Hugo 2.
    Some of your customers are probably in between those extremes.
    On this thread we can only suggest what equipment we consider in good faith to be worth a poster demoing. Whether that equipment is good or bad, can only be answered by that poster themselves.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  15. dcfac73
    I'd say it is safe to objectively say the Woo has a better amp section than the Hugo, being class A and balanced with 1.2 watts at 30 ohms. My question was directed at those who've heard both on what their opinions are. Your last point goes without saying, but I haven't had the chance to audition the WA11 , so the opinions of others is all I have to rely on at this point in time.
    Also your assumption of the type of customer and genre of music that the Woo would be suited to may be a bit premature considering you've never heard it. Not being aggro or anything, just saying.