1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by ChordElectronics, Jan 5, 2017.
  1. x RELIC x Contributor
    Not yet... been some turbulent waters in my life over the last couple years.

Wildcatsare1, ZappaMan and Deftone like this.
  2. Em2016
    Lol not yet... John Franks has said he is ok with the 1st unfold.. see the end of the vid..

upload_2019-5-2_8-4-3.jpeg

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  3. ZappaMan
    He prob has to give the public what they want ... rob fights the good fight lol

SalvorHardin and Em2016 like this.
  4. x RELIC x Contributor
    Yup, seen that video. Of course the first unfold is software based at the source and has nothing to do with the DAC. John really has no choice but to say he is ok with the first unfold or he would alienate a lot of customers who want to play MQA. John also emphasizes his DACs don’t need MQA in the video. I imagine Rob cringing at the idea.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  5. Em2016
    Not really... these customers still have a way to play the 1st unfold of MQA, regardless of what John or Rob think or say...

John's thoughts/opinions don't get in the way of a customer connecting their Chord DAC to Roon/Audirvana/Tidal desktop app etc, to do the 1st unfold...

So I don't think John has no choice in what he says about the 1st unfold..

If anything, it's his later comments that would upset MQA fans... basically hinting that there won't be any chance of anything past the 1st unfold coming to Chord DACs... at least as long as Rob is still involved with Chord I imagine.

6. x RELIC x Contributor
    What? What do you think I am writing in my posts? I’m out of this conversation as I simply was expressing how Chord DACs have nothing to do with the first unfold, so obviously he’s ok with it, and Chord won’t be doing the second unfold anytime soon. I have expressed the same thing again and again and yet you keep ‘countering’ by saying the same thing I am.

I have nothing further to contribute and this merry-go-round is weird.

Wildcatsare1 likes this.
  7. Em2016
    I was just replying to and quoted your comment "John really has no choice but to say he is ok with the first unfold or he would alienate a lot of customers who want to play MQA."

I'm not sure why John would have "no choice", on his comments about the 1st unfold.. his words don't have any impact on someone enjoying the 1st unfold with a Chord DAC (if they like that).

Happy to drop the the MQA topic... I didn't think it was a big drama, just friendly discussion...

8. x RELIC x Contributor
    I'll spell it out. Imagine if John said MQA was not good for his DACs, period. There would be a significant amount of users who, for whatever reason feel MQA is a good thing, would not use a Chord DAC after reading a statement like that. It's bad business to shun a format given the very wide variety of customers out there. From a business standpoint he really has no choice but to say he's fine with the first unfold... a) because he has zero control over it, and b) because it would push away customers who feel that both MQA and Chord DACs are desirable.

9. Em2016
    His comment on 1st unfold has no effect on someone enjoying the 1st unfold - even a negative comment can't hurt business because we all have easy access to the first unfold in Tidal now... regardless of his opinion about the 1st unfold...

If he was worried about MQA comments being bad for business he wouldn't have made the later comments that WTA filters/algorithms are better than MQA..

So clearly he is not at all concerned about MQA comments being bad for business...

10. x RELIC x Contributor
    He's playing ball and walking a fine line IMO. Feel free to disagree (obviously). Can we just end this?!

11. Em2016
    Lol yes, this is painful.

x RELIC x likes this.
  12. musickid
    MQA is technically "challenged" and so i for sure won't be letting roon/tidal unfold anything before it reaches my mscaler. This is based on my careful listening where rbcd sounds clear, distinct and true to the recording vs mqa 1st unfold which at first sounds warm and pleasing only to further extend a muffled bass and a certain type of unnatural cloudiness in the music which is ultimately not pleasing. This was done with an unbiased outlook even though i own chord gear. You might not believe me but it's true.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    SalvorHardin likes this.
  13. SalvorHardin
    Well, it's similar to what Rob feels about DSD and its flaws. But, for all that, I'd rather listen to DSD on his DACs over any other. I have no desire to listen to MQA, first or second unfold. I've read enough on the subject to wish it hadn't been invented. But, if people are going to employ it, he is probably right in picking his battles.

rcoleman1 and Peter Hyatt like this.
  14. Progisus
    You have never been unbiased. I think you may have a "Chord" tattoo. LOL I don't think MQA will go away. It allowed hi rez files to be streamed over crappy internet speeds and does a good job of that. See the complaints about Qobuz streaming. At least Roon allows to turn off the MQA unfold. Is the file that is sent stil MQA encoded or does the a un-encoded file get sent?

masterpfa, Deftone, Gibson59 and 2 others like this.
  15. musickid
    I think the MQA wrapped up fully is sent and if mqa is turned off in roon it just passes the unfolded mqa file on to the dac?? Surely picking the cd version would be simpler.

SalvorHardin likes this.