Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 29, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #16,248 of 22,465
I have a Hugo2 driving loudspeakers (10.5ohm, 96dB) and only find it wanting for power(current) as I push the volume or on extreme bass-heavy or complex passages.

Would like a pair of DIY Voxativ Speakers for H2, but not adept building speaker cabinets and/or sourcing correct parts required. My last decent speakers before going solely headphones, were Harbeth Compact 7's. Loved the sound of Jazz/Classical played through those speakers with LFD NCSE. Owned many quality amp/speaker pairings, but that one was magical for me for whatever reason. Small footprint, efficient single driver speakers mated to H2 would give alternative to headphone-only listening. No need for much volume, as most my Classical is chamber/small ensemble, and even with big band Jazz - seldom listen at higher than low/moderate volumes. My 70's hair-on-fire days of rocking the world are distant memory.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #16,249 of 22,465
I will def report back if I do so

Will share my findings and impressions this weekend when I have some spare time to do “critical listening” with Mojo and Atom alone

You might find you very much enjoy the combination of Mojo and Atom with 650 so if that leaves you feeling content there is no rush for anything more expensive.

Apr 29, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #16,250 of 22,465
You might find you very much enjoy the combination of Mojo and Atom with 650 so if that leaves you feeling content there is no rush for anything more expensive.

It is enjoyable but I do want more speed and clarity along with detail.

I recall u recommended 660S but alas I pulled the trigger on the LCD X. Just got delivered to my place as we speak; will try tonight if possible :p

Apr 29, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #16,251 of 22,465
Would like a pair of DIY Voxativ Speakers for H2, but not adept building speaker cabinets and/or sourcing correct parts required. My last decent speakers before going solely headphones, were Harbeth Compact 7's. Loved the sound of Jazz/Classical played through those speakers with LFD NCSE. Owned many quality amp/speaker pairings, but that one was magical for me for whatever reason. Small footprint, efficient single driver speakers mated to H2 would give alternative to headphone-only listening. No need for much volume, as most my Classical is chamber/small ensemble, and even with big band Jazz - seldom listen at higher than low/moderate volumes. My 70's hair-on-fire days of rocking the world are distant memory.
I'm not good at the craft, myself. I wouldn't mind finding someone who could do the work for a bit of money. Then, I could listen to some of my DSD without always needing to pull out some headphones.

Apr 29, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #16,253 of 22,465
With my continued purchases of other headphones, I'd forgotten just how special the H2-T1 combo was.

For the last 48 hours, I've gone back to that combination, and have to say, the T1 remains the only headphone that gives me a sense of depth (not just width). Which is weird. I know Rob has spoken about the challenges of presenting depth, and since I'm no expert, I'll defer to him, as he is a pillar among experts.
Still, whether it's a audio hallucination without any basis in reality or not, I can't help but feel that the T1, when combined with the H2, presents a sense of depth when listening to symphonies in concert halls that is different from all my other headphones when combined with the H2.

the Stellia and Utopia don't, the HD800 gives a grand sense of space, but not depth. The KSE1200 feels very closed in. But the T1...is really a great complement to the H2, to my relatively weak ears.

(I've said this before on this forum, but it was a year ago. pairing these two again makes me want to post about it again, lol)

Apr 29, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #16,254 of 22,465
The Hugo 2 power button blinking white means their is a voltage mismatch, right?

I leave my Hugo 2 on desktop mode and every so often, the power button starts blinking white.

I don’t have the original Hugo 2 charger but thought I bought the correct power wall bank. Perhaps not.

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #16,255 of 22,465
How can you compare a $99 atom with a $2300 hugo 2? It's a fine line between appearing to give orders and giving you're best heartfelt advice to a fellow headfier. I can't believe no one else has tried to advise our friend that a sub 100 dollar device cannot match the lush hugo 2 sound especially as he has stated on multiple occasions that he wants real clarity and speed and most importantly more of it.:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #16,256 of 22,465

This site sells speaker frames:

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/product/pureaudioproject-trio15-tower-open-baffle-speakers-frame/

Home Audition:

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/audition-registration-page/

Voxativ setups:

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/trio15-voxativ-open-baffle-speakers/
http://www.pureaudioproject.com/product/trio10-voxativ-open-baffle-speakers/

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #16,257 of 22,465
It is enjoyable but I do want more speed and clarity along with detail.

I recall u recommended 660S but alas I pulled the trigger on the LCD X. Just got delivered to my place as we speak; will try tonight if possible :p

660 does have better speed and clarity than 650, its an easy choice when the prices are almost identical here in the UK. In other countries though i hear its a much larger gap and doesnt seem worth it. LCDX will also most definitely give you more speed and clarity over 650. Let us know your thoughts with and without the Atom, enjoy!

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #16,258 of 22,465
660 does have better speed and clarity than 650, its an easy choice when the prices are almost identical here in the UK. In other countries though i hear its a much larger gap and doesnt seem worth it. LCDX will also most definitely give you more speed and clarity over 650. Let us know your thoughts with and without the Atom, enjoy!

Thank you. Indeed, the price difference in some countries are simply mind boggling

Apr 30, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #16,259 of 22,465
Hi @Rob Watts

Which measurement best shows the 8 kHz USB packet noise?

Does it show up in any measurements for Hugo2, even if out of audible range? Can you share the measurements.

Cheers!

Never seen any packet noise contamination at all - and with Hugo 2 I can see down too -180dB. You wouldn't get the zero measured jitter if it was sensitive to this kind of problem.

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #16,260 of 22,465
How can you compare a $99 atom with a $2300 hugo 2? It's a fine line between appearing to give orders and giving you're best heartfelt advice to a fellow headfier. I can't believe no one else has tried to advise our friend that a sub 100 dollar device cannot match the lush hugo 2 sound especially as he has stated on multiple occasions that he wants real clarity and speed and most importantly more of it.:thinking::thinking::thinking:
With all due respect, I suggested to him that Chord DACs direct is the best way to go. But, I also said to make up his own mind. I don't know or care how much his amp is. We give him suggestions, and he does what he thinks is right. You're beginning to sound 'politically correct'. Quit giving him orders!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back