1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by ChordElectronics, Jan 5, 2017.
  1. Satir
    My H2 has never been off the desk. Don't need flexibility of battery power. Considering H2 sale/trade replacing with Qutest and Gilmore Lite Mk2. Anyone done same? Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    teknorob23 likes this.
  2. Scrum92
    Why?

3. Satir
    1. Battery completely out of the equation.
    Some may say "just use H2 in desktop mode". That's how my H2 has been used since new.
    2. Preference for dual connectors end-to-end (as opposed to splitter adaptors) for future HMS use.
    3. Not nor ever expecting to use H2 for travel/on the go. One of H2's big selling points.
    4. If Qutest and H2 came out at same time, would have bought the former.
    5. Audio merry-go-round has been whispering in my ear.

514077 and JM1979 like this.
  4. GreenBow
    Could consider a TT2.

5. Hawaiibadboy Contributor
    Using a Windows Surface Pro 6 to Hugo 2. Downloaded drivers. Everything is being played out of my library in the device setting sampling selected.

How to just pass the flac or DSD direct so it reflects in the indicator light? It worked fine with 2 DAP's but with Windows 10 this is....more complicated?

6. JaZZ Contributor
    You would sacrifice some transparency by adding an amp to the signal path. I wouldn't do that, the less so just for «convenience» and an unjustified preference for dual BNC connectors as opposed to a dual-BNC/3.5 mm coaxial cable.

Yes, if you really have to change something, better go for a TT₂.

7. Satir

Read many repeating "you'll lose transparency adding amp to H2" nugget. At my age may not really notice (!). Seriously though, most likely soldier on with H2 in desktop mode. Likely better music audio than most of population listen to. Since early 70's been buying quality hifi gear, and through all those years, most valued component is not a component - but music library which shifted from LP's to digital files. I keep three backups, something could not say for my hernia-inducing LP collection and its laborious vinyl cleaning/static discharge regime. Back when the eyes were young, reading LP cover notes was a breeze. Now the eyes are old and most print is silly small like medication print and CD sleeve notes. Increasing font size on digital screens mean less room for text. Age means adjusting to a world one is increasingly crowded out of :)

phonomat, Rob Watts and Wildcatsare1 like this.
  8. plinth
    I bought the Mojo, Hugo 2, Qutest, HMS, TT2. I noticed no discernible sound difference between the Hugo2 and the Qutest. The HMS was the most profound and rewarding update I have made in my audiophile career. The TT2 was a very pleasant surprise, adding real heft and grip. In summary, stick with your Hugo 2 it is an amazing piece of kit.

AC-12, Hooster, jasonho and 4 others like this.
  9. JM1979
    Did you happen to have the HMS running with the Hugo 2 at any point? If so, what are your thoughts?

10. 514077
    I expect there wouldn't be a difference, as I thought the Qutest wwas the Hugo2 without the Headphone jacks or possibly stage.

11. musickid
    HMS and hugo2 is a special selection. Vocals sound relaxed and real to life. No solo dac of any manufacturer including chord's own dac's can reproduce this effect IMHO. This was truly illuminated listening to Portuguese Ana Moura on roon. I need to add a highly resolving end game headphone (to compliment my current PM1) to hear the full capability of my H2/HMS. Something as resolving as the LCD 4z and approaching electrostatic performance but lightweight and more comfortable for me to wear. This is the next project.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Hooster and JM1979 like this.
  12. plinth
    Yes, I bought a splitter and there is no way I could tell the two apart in a blind test. I use Stax electrostatic headphones so the line level out of either device into the energiser works just fine for me.

phonomat likes this.
  13. musickid
    Maybe the splitter degraded the signal path. I don't understand this last post? Unless it's about hugo2 and qutest into energiser.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  14. silvahr
    Hello all,
    I'm using CH2 in desktop mode.
    I'm wondering if using something like iFi nano iUSB 3.0 between PC and CH2 will be harmful for CH2 battery life.
    The nano iUSB 3.0 output voltage is 5v and output current is 2.1A.
    Thank you in advance.

15. musickid
    It adds unwanted RF colouring/brightness so avoid.

silvahr likes this.