1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by ChordElectronics, Jan 5, 2017.
  1. Deftone
    Im using the same board for my 8700K, its optical out is great and i use a QED reference opitcal quartz, ive done many comparisons with usb and i much prefer the smoother sounding optical.

BananaOoyoo likes this.
  2. Deftone
    Chord dacs are immune to jitter and on my motherboard Z370I (same as @BananaOoyoo) it can easily do 24bit 192khz from the Realtek Opitcal ASIO playback device in jriver.

3. teknorob23
    Well there you go sounds like you’re all sorted then, just to my tin ear usb or coax is better:wink:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    514077 likes this.
  4. SteveOliver
    It is for me, I know its been discussed to great length, but Poly and 2Go make me, as an Android user, feel like a second class citizen. I could never buy a product like that.

phonomat and Edric Li like this.
  5. MikeRight
    I am happy to hear that 2Go is not dead but I have to recognise that what I expect for Poly update was much more that I really get. Specially regarding the user experience during the updating process. After more than 4 hours the lights are still dancing...

Chord please. Solve as it deserves the software part of your amazing products and then release them.
    The frustration that your software is creating is far from ideal.

In any case waiting to know much more about the 2Go.

Thanks!

phonomat, Edric Li and lawshredpower like this.
  6. 514077
    May I ask a very naïve and stupid question? The SOTM streamer that you use: how is it controlled? I'd love to move my music to a proper clean streamer of some sort. But, I'd need to operate it with a keyboard, unless I'm mistaking a streamer for a musically rationalized computer.

7. teknorob23
    Not at all, i've been on steep learning curve on the streamer front since i gave up tweaking a mac mini and also started using Roon. I started off with the an auralic aries which is very nice but i dont really need all of its streaming features. So i decided to split the server and streaming duties into separate devices. I built a ROON ROCK Intel NUC which is an easy and cost effective way of building a a ROON nucleus server, and from there i just need the streaming or rendering device to act as player with the NUC doing all the heavy lifting which means you really just need the streamer to be a player transport. Having tried the bryston BDP1 and demo'ing various players up to about £5K. I was on the cusp of spending this sort of budget on an antipodes network player which sounds just amazing when my friend at my local shop suggested SOTM we're worth a try as he'd heard lots of good things, so i gave them a Demo, and basically wow!! £1400 gets you there SMS-200 Ultra NEO streamer & accompanying power supply SPS 500 and the performance is just astonishing, a weekend's demo and that was that. They've managed to acheive one of the natural sounding digital players i've ever heard, with weight, depth and width i've not heard until you get up to 4/5K. Sorry this is a bit of convoluted story so it might help if list the my set up chain>

2TB External HD with music library > Intel NUC (configured as ROON Rock Server £300 running ROON software) > Ethernet hardwired > Wifi Router > Ethernet cable > SoTM SMS 200 Ultra NEO Streamer/ SPS 500 PSU > Tellurium Diamond Black USB > Hugo2 > Tellurium Black RCA > Feliks Audio Euforia Tube Amp & Pre Amp > Focal Stellia (and my 2 channel system)

I control it all with ROON on ipad and iphone. Obvs not everything in this chain is essential. You could run your library from NAS to the NUC and you only need a DAC amp not the extra tube amp and there are altermatives to SOTM, such mirorendu and ultra rendu. The standard SMS 200 is apparently very good to and costs just £350. The one thing you do need to make the most of this is ROON or something similar.

Anyway the end result is a really significant leap in SQ moving from a computer to a dedicated audio set-up. I dont know where you live, but if you're in the UK, Elite Audio SOTM's main distributer will lend you the streamer for home demo.

Heres a link to a good indepth review and a far better description than i've given, hope that helps a bit but, please feel free to DM me if theres anything you'd like me to expand on or explain more coherently :wink:

SMS 200 Ultra

SMS 200

AndrewH13, 514077 and Peter Hyatt like this.
  8. 514077
    Thanks, that does clear things up for me. I'll do some more studying.

9. Scrum92
    For anybody interested, I received the Jitterbug courtesy of @Triode User earlier today and am now listening with it in the chain. I'll reserve posting any impressions until I've had more time with it - there are just too many variables to draw conclusions from any one experience.

My chain, should anybody be interested: Audirvana Windows streaming via Qobuz a mixture of 16/44-24/192 -> Z87-C motherboard -> Jitterbug -> Supra 1m in micro USB termination -> Hugo 2 in desktop mode -> Focal Clear using stock 1.2m 3.5mm cable.

514077 and robo24 like this.
  10. 514077
    I look forward to your thoughts on its use.

11. Wildcatsare1
    Or a kidney!

12. miketlse
    All 3 if not in 100% working order.

Wildcatsare1 likes this.
  13. flyte3333
    Hi @Rob Watts

If I wanted to use Hugo2 as a pre into powered fully analogue speakers (like the new Andrew Jones Elac Navis), could I use the 6.3mm headphone output to feed a powered subwoofer (with appropriate 6.3mm to RCA cables)?

No issues that I would need to be aware of?

If I wanted a pair of subs, could I even use the 3.5mm headphone output for 2nd sub as well?

Of course I will demo it, but it's Hugo2 driving both powered speakers and powered subwoofers simultaneously that I was unsure of.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  14. Rob Watts
    No that should be fine - feeding two units shouldn't cause an issue.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    flyte3333 likes this.
  15. iemcamp
    Hello, can anyone please point me to Hugo 2 Windows 7 drivers.
    Couldn't find it any longer on Chord website and also google hasn't been much helpful so far.
    Does anyone use Win 10 drivers on Win 7?

Thanks.