1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by ChordElectronics, Jan 5, 2017.
  1. miketlse
    No.
    Optical should be the reference, because it removes the direct path for electrical noise from the source, to disrupt the ground plane in the Hugo 2.
    Nevertheless some owners do prefer usb or coaxial.
    The answer to which input is best for each individual owner, will depend on several factors including:
    • does their source have usb, coaxial or optical outputs
    • do they prefer a dark sound, or bright sound?
    • do they want to use RBCD or hi-res files
    • etc

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Deftone and BananaOoyoo like this.
  2. BananaOoyoo
    Hm. My computer mobo (Asus Z370I Strix) has USB and Optical S/PDIF outputs. For everything else, I'll probably just end up using USB.

3. teknorob23
    Optical is more jitter prone than the other two and caps out at 96/24, which is not an issue I guess for the majority of music files. Spdif and usb is usually on par in well put together DACs, but on cheaper ones USB is usually the better option. I’ve back to backed equivilent coax and usb and there’s very little in it with the Hugo in my set up. But I’ve just moved to sotm sms200 ultra neo/sps500 psu which only has usb, so that’s the choice made for me and this is the best streamer I’ve heard without stepping up 4 or 5k to an antipodes or similar. That said the likes of naim hold out eschewing usb for spdif.. all of which brings it back to execution and implementation.

BananaOoyoo likes this.
  4. miketlse
    You obviously have not read any of @Rob Watts posts describing how he designs the Chord dacs to be immune to source jitter, and that includes optical inputs.
    When you state the generalisation that "Optical is more jitter prone than the other two" you are at risk of misleading everyone who reads your post.
    When you state that "caps out at 96/24" you are completely misleading everyone - optical caps out at 192, however some cheaper plastic fibre cables, do stuggle to transmit more than 96.

5. 514077
    I only notice that when changing formats, resolutions etc. FB2K.

GreenBow likes this.
  6. 514077
    I think it helped with the Hugo1. Just never bothered to take it out when changing to Hugo2. I await Scrum's comments, but have felt no real need to remove it so far.

7. Hooster
    Well, he has listened to the Hugo2 and if he prefers USB over optical, then he prefers that, regardless of what Rob or anyone else says.

phonomat likes this.
  8. miketlse
    I don't mind him preferring any input. YMMV
    What I don't like is people posting wrong information, as if it was cast iron truth. That just misleads and confuses newbies, and can lead to them mis-spending their hard earned cash.

phonomat, Deftone, 514077 and 3 others like this.
  9. Edric Li
  10. rcoleman1
  11. miketlse
    No way Jose. :slight_smile:
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-814#post-14833992
    The 2Go will use much of the Poly code, so the 2Go has been delayed until after the next major Poly firmware updates, which are scheduled to start in the next few days.
    Presumably once those updates are deployed, and users provide feedback that they work well, then Chord will be able to focus on the 2Go release.

514077 likes this.
  12. Edric Li
    That's great news! I'd love to own a Hugo 2. Amazing sound. I just need it to have card slots.

514077 likes this.
  13. musickid
    What is the point of the input button on the 2go? To switch to ethernet??

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  14. miketlse
    514077 likes this.
  15. miketlse
    Hooster and Edric Li like this.