Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 19, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #15,796 of 22,467
sorry man I was typing too fast, sometimes I prefer to upsample my files to 768khz in Jriver, and that only works off the USB. Can I assume that you only use the Hugo in bitperfect mode?

Hi new2phone, i am interested to find out the listening difference and what type of music do you do upscaling.

currently using audirvana plus, i may want to try jriver soon :)

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #15,797 of 22,467
Hi new2phone, i am interested to find out the listening difference and what type of music do you do upscaling.

currently using audirvana plus, i may want to try jriver soon :)

I don't have the Hugo anymore, so I would only be going off memory to be honest.

Can't help with the USB C, but the below quote might help you...

I owned the Hugo 2 twice, and both were just a bit noisy off the micro USB, to my ears only. Other spanning this thread didn't hear anything. Just dreaming, no shots at the wonderful device, I promise.

I may just get a Qutest to see if I can discern a difference between the two, in noise only. My dream is the TT 2/Mscaler, but that is $8,000 and every time I pull out my credit card, something, or better yet a female slaps me back to reality.

Mar 20, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #15,799 of 22,467
Just dreaming, no shots at the wonderful device, I promise.

I understand fully, and I don't care if you take shots, lol. I just found it interesting in the way that the Hugo2 approaches USB ground noise and I appreciate that Rob explained it in some detail.

My take is that USB is a bit brighter than optical (optical is the reference), both outputs from my AK240, so I wouldn't say the USB is bullet proof. We can all want for better.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #15,801 of 22,467
Hmm something new I learn today.

I was doing spdif coax from my dx200 to Hugo 2. How do you do dual spdif coax inputs?

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #15,804 of 22,467
Hmm something new I learn today.

I was doing spdif coax from my dx200 to Hugo 2. How do you do dual spdif coax inputs?

Chord M scaler.

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #15,805 of 22,467
Hello there, just a quick update on my experience with hugo 2.
Before buying hugo 2 I've already got mojo and audio-gd combo (nfb 1 amp and r2r1 dac) at home.
I really loved audio-gd combo, but it was big heavy and needed like 2 hours (or even more) to warm up before it sounded the best.
For me it was a question is really hugo 2 better than many of these big power hungy boxes ?
So after reading some review on the web/youtbe I’ve decided to give it a try.

Here are some points:

Agd r2r1 nfb1 combo (~1,284$):
- sound is smoother than hugo 2
- instruments separation is worse
- sound signature is darker than hugo 2
- not as detailed (through whole band low,mids,highs) as hugo 2
- highs harsher not so clear and detailed as in hugo 2
- mid/vocals more forward, instruments seem to play more like in the background and vocal is upfront you
- in headphones sound stage seemed a bit just a bit wider than hugo 2, but depth was definitely not as good as on hugo 2, also instruments were not good organized
- on speakers sound stage doesn't exist compared to hugo 2
- transparency not even close to hugo, everything sounded like it was touched with sound signature of agd combo, many recordings sounded similar (dark, muffled etc.)
- although sound was darker it sounded thinner, (yes it's strange) bas was not so impactfull and full bodied as its on hugo

Hugo 2 (~2,600$ - as dac and as headphone amp/preamp)
- sound not as smooth like on r2r but very close
- instruments separation is outstanding, everything has its own place in the space
- much more air/space in sound
- brighter or I would rather say much more natural and transparent than r2r
- more details in sound
- sound stage on headphones maybe a bit narrower than on r2r, but depth is better
- on speakers soundstage just destroys r2r. It’s like 3D, so holographic so deep so wide, just jaw dropping experience, just… no words
- sound is more dynamic , on agd combo it sounded muffled not so dynamic
- sound has more body bass makes bigger impact than r2r
- hugo perfectly shows every recording (and instrument) as it should be, if it’s dark – hugo plays it dark, if bright hugo plays it bright. TRANSPARENCY !
- maybe that some minor points but still: smaller, lighter, cooler running, bluetooth capable, doesn’t need to be warm up before listening session, battery powered, transportable.
- did I mention transparency that I’ve never heard before ?

Summing it up:
I was (and still I am) shocked how hugo just destroyed my previous agd combo. In every aspect hugo is better, on some layers it was so much better (like sound stage and transparency) that I couldn't believe I was just smiling to myself while listening. Some points were not so obvious on headphones but after switching to speakers it changed a lot.
I know there is pretty big difference in the price. But I know some people may be thinking about stepping up as I was.
I just wish in the future I’ll be able to afford some other things from chord, like hugo tt2( + m scaler), or even maybe Dave. I’m wondering how much better it can get.

Things to mention:

Headphone chain:
1. R2R1 – ACSS cable – NFB1 – norne zoetic XLR – hifiman he 560
2. Chord hugo 2 (as dac and headphone amp) – default hifiman se cable – hifiman he 560

Speakers chain:
1. R2R1 – ACSS cable – NFB1 – melodika purple rain rca – dartzeel nhb 108 (clone) – chord clearway biwire – b&w dm602 s3
2. Chord hugo 2 (as dac and preamp) - melodika purple rain rca – dartzeel nhb 108 (clone) – chord clearway biwire – b&w dm602 s3

img_20190319_191019__01 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #15,808 of 22,467

What grit size did you use to do that ?

It looks cool, actually it looks super uber cool, Chord should do something like that.

@Mojo ideas

Did you hear me John ?

Chord should do something like that.

It looks distinctive and uber nice, see, this is what I find cool, but, Hugo 2 handbag cases are not cool. Saying that I will probably buy one when 2go comes out, just aslong as the shoulder straps can be unclipped and thrown away.

You must be rich jasonho, you have a marble table, mines is just wood :frowning2:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #15,809 of 22,467
Hello there, just a quick update on my experience with hugo 2.
Before buying hugo 2 I've already got mojo and audio-gd combo (nfb 1 amp and r2r1 dac) at home.
I really loved audio-gd combo, but it was big heavy and needed like 2 hours (or even more) to warm up before it sounded the best.
For me it was a question is really hugo 2 better than many of these big power hungy boxes ?
So after reading some review on the web/youtbe I’ve decided to give it a try.

Here are some points:

Agd r2r1 nfb1 combo (~1,284$):
- sound is smoother than hugo 2
- instruments separation is worse
- sound signature is darker than hugo 2
- not as detailed (through whole band low,mids,highs) as hugo 2
- highs harsher not so clear and detailed as in hugo 2
- mid/vocals more forward, instruments seem to play more like in the background and vocal is upfront you
- in headphones sound stage seemed a bit just a bit wider than hugo 2, but depth was definitely not as good as on hugo 2, also instruments were not good organized
- on speakers sound stage doesn't exist compared to hugo 2
- transparency not even close to hugo, everything sounded like it was touched with sound signature of agd combo, many recordings sounded similar (dark, muffled etc.)
- although sound was darker it sounded thinner, (yes it's strange) bas was not so impactfull and full bodied as its on hugo

Hugo 2 (~2,600$ - as dac and as headphone amp/preamp)
- sound not as smooth like on r2r but very close
- instruments separation is outstanding, everything has its own place in the space
- much more air/space in sound
- brighter or I would rather say much more natural and transparent than r2r
- more details in sound
- sound stage on headphones maybe a bit narrower than on r2r, but depth is better
- on speakers soundstage just destroys r2r. It’s like 3D, so holographic so deep so wide, just jaw dropping experience, just… no words
- sound is more dynamic , on agd combo it sounded muffled not so dynamic
- sound has more body bass makes bigger impact than r2r
- hugo perfectly shows every recording (and instrument) as it should be, if it’s dark – hugo plays it dark, if bright hugo plays it bright. TRANSPARENCY !
- maybe that some minor points but still: smaller, lighter, cooler running, bluetooth capable, doesn’t need to be warm up before listening session, battery powered, transportable.
- did I mention transparency that I’ve never heard before ?

Summing it up:
I was (and still I am) shocked how hugo just destroyed my previous agd combo. In every aspect hugo is better, on some layers it was so much better (like sound stage and transparency) that I couldn't believe I was just smiling to myself while listening. Some points were not so obvious on headphones but after switching to speakers it changed a lot.
I know there is pretty big difference in the price. But I know some people may be thinking about stepping up as I was.
I just wish in the future I’ll be able to afford some other things from chord, like hugo tt2( + m scaler), or even maybe Dave. I’m wondering how much better it can get.

Things to mention:

Headphone chain:
1. R2R1 – ACSS cable – NFB1 – norne zoetic XLR – hifiman he 560
2. Chord hugo 2 (as dac and headphone amp) – default hifiman se cable – hifiman he 560

Speakers chain:
1. R2R1 – ACSS cable – NFB1 – melodika purple rain rca – dartzeel nhb 108 (clone) – chord clearway biwire – b&w dm602 s3
2. Chord hugo 2 (as dac and preamp) - melodika purple rain rca – dartzeel nhb 108 (clone) – chord clearway biwire – b&w dm602 s3
One thing that you haven't tried, but which will provide even more transparency, is to direct drive your b&w dm602 s3.
They are rated 90 dB efficiency. I have managed to drive speakers as low as 86 dB efficiency, so you should be fine, if you want to test the concept.

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #15,810 of 22,467
I’m using them. I’m not exactly sure if they do anything significant. I want to say they do but it’s been a while since I put them on and it could just be the norm for me now. I will say that they look good if nothing else.

I have a bunch of them. If you want to drop me a PM with your address, I’ll send you a pair for free to test out and keep.

Thanks, but as I'm in the UK I can just pick some up from Ebay/Amazon. Seems like a no brainer to give them a go considering how cheap they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back