Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 21, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #15,151 of 22,467
Wait a minute! You can't simply add a headphone amp and think you now have bypassed the Hugo₂'s headphone output. You can't bypass its headphone output, since line out and headphone out are one and the same. Hence you can't speak of taking an unsufficient amplification stage out of the signal path and replace it with a better one, because it's still in it if you add another amp. Moreover, by doing so the benefit of Chord's «simple» output stage for ultimate transparency is lost, and some harmonic distortion is added, leading to colorations which you may like or less, in any event representing an objective signal degradation (think «double amping» in the sense of a needless amplification stage).

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #15,152 of 22,467
Wait a minute! You can't simply add a headphone amp and think you now have bypassed the Hugo₂'s headphone output. You can't bypass its headphone output, since line out and headphone out are one and the same. Hence you can't speak of taking an unsufficient amplification stage out of the signal path and replace it with a better one, because it's still in it if you add another amp. Moreover, by doing so the benefit of Chord's «simple» output stage for ultimate transparency is lost, and some harmonic distortion is added, leading to colorations which you may like or less, in any event representing an objective signal degradation (think «double amping» in the sense of a needless amplification stage).
All true @JaZZ. I'm okay with a little lost of transparency for more driving power. For me the HEK V2's sounded better out of the Pro iCan with the Hugo 2 as the DAC. I didn't like the sound out of the Hugo 2 alone with the HEK V2's. The Hugo 2 with my Z1R's, Utopia's, and LCD-2 CB's is outstanding.

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #15,153 of 22,467
Hey, I'm o.k. with shaping the sound to the own preferences – I'm even a proponent. I just think you can do better than adding a bunch of analogue electronics components for this task.

Here's the Master's voice with his comments to the matter. Although with reference to the Hugo₁, they're just as valid for the Hugo₂.

Instead of going for tonal synergy on the basis of component flaws (colorations) you could alter the tonal balance in the digital domain – with virtually no loss of transparency. You effectively don't need more power to achieve what you call «more driving power». (I've tried it numerous times.) :relaxed:

Jan 22, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #15,154 of 22,467
Hey, I'm o.k. with shaping the sound to the own preferences – I'm even a proponent. I just think you can do better than adding a bunch of analogue electronics components for this task.

Here's the Master's voice with his comments to the matter. Although with reference to the Hugo₁, they're just as valid for the Hugo₂.

Instead of going for tonal synergy on the basis of component flaws (colorations) you could alter the tonal balance in the digital domain – with virtually no loss of transparency. You effectively don't need more power to achieve what you call «more driving power». (I've tried it numerous times.) :relaxed:
That's a very good read. I see where you are getting your info from now. I'm not sure how I missed it, thanks!

Jan 22, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #15,155 of 22,467

Great post.

Jan 22, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #15,156 of 22,467
A well-written and concise summation; a good reminder of why we like his DACs to begin with. I can't remember what were the changes in amplification in the H2, if amplification is the correct term.

Jan 22, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #15,157 of 22,467

this does not apply to TT2, correct? i.e., does TT2 DAC-mode completely bypass the amplification stage?

Jan 22, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #15,159 of 22,467
this does not apply to TT2, correct? i.e., does TT2 DAC-mode completely bypass the amplification stage?

Fundamentally, AFAIK, Rob designs all his equipment the same way in that the output stage is not bypassed (can not be bypassed as it’s critical to output the signal from the DAC - think like the line-out of other DACs). DAC / amp mode are just different digital settings.

The amp stage is identical to Hugo 2/Dave - it's just more powerful. So we have the DAC amplifier, the I to V function, filtering, headphone/speaker OP as one single amplifier. So in single ended mode it still comes down to 2 resistors, 2 caps, one global feedback amp connecting the pulse array to the outside world.

It's exactly the same as Dave, but the balanced negative output is now the same amplifier design as the SE amp, so I get ultra low distortion plus high OP powers.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #15,162 of 22,467
Fundamentally, AFAIK, Rob designs all his equipment the same way in that the output stage is not bypassed (can not be bypassed as it’s critical to output the signal from the DAC - think like the line-out of other DACs). DAC / amp mode are just different digital settings.
Thanks, question answered. Which brings to mind another question: What kind of op-amp did RW use? Or is that propriatary info?

Jan 22, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #15,163 of 22,467
It's not an op-amp – «OP amp» (Rob's language!) stands for output amp. In fact it's a discrete amplifier.

Jan 22, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #15,164 of 22,467
What is the official chord useage for h2's analogue out? if it's not headphone amps/normal amps so must be direct to speakers maybe? why does h2 even have analogue out if any additional amplification adds distortion? what is the official chord case useage here?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #15,165 of 22,467
Connect to an amp or preamp is the 98% use case (for a 2 channel setup). If you have traditional speakers, the Chord sound is the best I’ve heard, so we shouldn’t be quick to dismiss driving speakers (or even demanding headphones) through an amp (don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the amazing)

Going direct to speakers is definitely an edge use case. Most people have never heard high efficiency speakers direct, but as you know, I think everyone should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back