CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 7, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #22,021 of 25,821
I share Rob Watts view on PSU and am quite happy with the inbuilt SMPS. I have no burning desire to change it.
That said I would love to try one at some point to satisfy my curiosity as so many here are very happy with their upgrades.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the existing SMPS Power Supply within the DAVE but.... it's a hell of a different machine with the Farad's in.... if you're ever near Buckinghamshire PM me and you'll be welcome to have a listen. 🎶 🎶

Aug 7, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #22,022 of 25,821
Aug 7, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #22,023 of 25,821
I may have the opportunity to demo a Benchmark AHB2 Power Amplifier. Does anyone here connect to a DAVE? If so, how does it connect as its a Balanced Power Amp? How does it sound with your DAVE?
Cheers to all who chime in with their comments and suggestions 🍻

Aug 7, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #22,025 of 25,821
I share Rob Watts view on PSU and am quite happy with the inbuilt SMPS. I have no burning desire to change it.
That said I would love to try one at some point to satisfy my curiosity as so many here are very happy with their upgrades.

That's OK to have no desire. I also was entirely happy until smaller network devices with upgraded power supplies showed me how little boxes could be elevated to a higher plane.

If you can detect and enjoy subtleties of audio I would strongly suggest NOT auditioning power upgrades to components as you'll only make your wallet squirm and play a hide-and-seek game with you.

Aug 7, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #22,028 of 25,821
I may have the opportunity to demo a Benchmark AHB2 Power Amplifier. Does anyone here connect to a DAVE? If so, how does it connect as its a Balanced Power Amp? How does it sound with your DAVE?
Cheers to all who chime in with their comments and suggestions 🍻
Ive used AHB2 and DAVE. AHB2 only has XLR so use the dave's XLR's out from the dave and put the dave in pre amp mode before connecting it all so you can control the volume. Its very important you don't use dac mode or you will fry your headphones if they are connected to the AHB2 with music playing lol

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #22,029 of 25,821
I honestly think Rob is BSing us with his “timing transient” claims. Did he invent this term?
I would be really glad for your opinion on Chord TT2 right before I accept the order tommorow...I just saw the Dave review and thought ASR was trolling...

You recommended the Weiss Dac and I was hooked, I still dont have money for it but I am actually close if I don´t buy the amp(enleum or ferrum stack)...

What would you recommend around the same price?

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #22,030 of 25,821
Stereophile editor in chief JA discussing ASR in current issue, via the great engineer Bruno Putzey (pay attention to his quote at the end; it is perfect):

Purifi's people are serious engineers, but don't make the mistake of thinking they mindlessly ally themselves with the simple-minded objectivists who populate certain online discussion forums. They understand that science and engineering must be carefully deployed. Members of the Purifi team seemed to me as impatient with measurements-happy reductionists as with the radical antimeasurements crowd. Sure, it's depressing when a forum post asks, "Is it possible for a component that measures well to sound good?" But owning an Audio Precision analyzer doesn't make you an expert, and the unguided application of analytical tools can lead you far astray.

Knowing what to measure is critical, and getting to that point is hard work. As is written in a Purifi blog post—it's unsigned, but the voice and some biographical details sound like Putzeys's—"We don't so much hear distortion levels as distortion mechanisms. You need to understand the mechanism before you can design a test that will quantify it sensibly."

And this comment below the article on the site is perfect also:

What I am getting out of this is that I should go out and buy an AP analyzer (and maybe a Klippel NFS?) and then proceed to measure a bunch of stuff, make a forum, provide 1/4 screen grabs of the AP's screen for "THUH DATA", criticize the inventors and makers of any products that "fail my standards", harass/mock/ban anyone who disagrees, Monday-morning-quarterback established product engineers and designers in the industry as often as possible (ESPECIALLY when they cost more than ChiFi), and then devise some type of iconography with which I could associate my rating system. Mayhaps a Panther???.....

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #22,032 of 25,821
:dt880smile: I love to see that! :beerchug:

Aug 8, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #22,033 of 25,821
Skim through the now 40+ page tantrum on ASR and it will tell you everything about that community. Even if there are valuable insights over there and technical measurements that could be valuable to learning, just look at what one has to wade through to find any of it. This kind of seriousness might be warranted in a discussion about medical science or car safety, but in the hobby of Hifi it is so ridiculous. None of these folks are having a good time at all. Who would want them at a listening party?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...philes-snide-editorial-on-asr-and-amir.35872/

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #22,034 of 25,821
Aug 9, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #22,035 of 25,821
What I am getting out of this is that I should go out and buy an AP analyzer (and maybe a Klippel NFS?) and then proceed to measure a bunch of stuff, make a forum, provide 1/4 screen grabs of the AP's screen for "THUH DATA", criticize the inventors and makers of any products that "fail my standards", harass/mock/ban anyone who disagrees, Monday-morning-quarterback established product engineers and designers in the industry as often as possible (ESPECIALLY when they cost more than ChiFi), and then devise some type of iconography with which I could associate my rating system. Mayhaps a Panther???.....
Brilliant 👏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back