CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #18,781 of 25,834
not if you use the dave as is ...

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #18,782 of 25,834
not if you use the dave as is ...
It’s an enthusiast summit-fi forum though. It’s not odd to mod equipment. Also, the initial talk of a DAVE and Susvaras has shifted to power supplies. I think that’s fair game 🤷‍♂️

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #18,783 of 25,834
So, I spent another afternoon and evening listening to my TCs straight out of my DC4’d mDAVE. Let’s put aside why it’s working for a moment and just discuss the sound. After further experimenting with the Dave driving my TCs, I’ve noticed some new things. 1) The DAVE/TCs combo is more unforgiving with poorly recorded material compared to my WA33. 2) After several hours, the sound became a little fatiguing. 3). The TC mids are worse out of the DC4’d DAVE. 4) The TCs have higher resolution out of the DAVE, which some would probably like. 5) The DAVE is somewhat clinical compared to my WA33, where strict accuracy seems to be the goal (it is a solid state though). 6) I like the “distortion” my WA33 and tubes bring, though I know some might prefer the more analytical and clinical DAVE.

So, there are some important differences between going out of the DAVE vs using a high-end tube amp. I’m really glad I have both. I’m moving back to the WA33 tomorrow and I should have more notes and comparisons.

Basically, if you have to choose between a DC4’d DAVE or getting an external tube amp for your stock DAVE, I think it will depend on if you value utmost accuracy or if you like tube “distortion.” Both drive the TCs and Susvaras well. So, it’s probably just personal preference :L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #18,784 of 25,834
So, I spent another afternoon and evening listening to my TCs straight out of my DC4’d mDAVE. Let’s put aside why it’s working for a moment and just discuss the sound. After further experimenting with the Dave driving my TCs, I’ve noticed some new things. 1) The DAVE/TCs combo is more unforgiving with poorly recorded material compared to my WA33. 2) After several hours, the sound became a little fatiguing. 3). The TC mids are worse out of the DC4’d DAVE. 4) The TCs have higher resolution out of the DAVE, which some would probably like. 5) The DAVE is somewhat clinical compared to my WA33, where strict accuracy seems to be the goal (it is a solid state though). 6) I like the “distortion” my WA33 and tubes bring, though I know some might prefer the more analytical and clinical DAVE.

So, there are some important differences between going out of the DAVE vs using a high-end tube amp. I’m really glad I have both. I’m moving back to the WA33 tomorrow and I should have more notes and comparisons.

Basically, if you have to choose between a DC4’d DAVE or getting an external tube amp for your stock DAVE, I think it will depend on if you value utmost accuracy or if you like tube “distortion.” Both drive the TCs and Susvaras well. So, it’s probably just personal preference :L3000:

Good impressions and again, the DC4 is sounding more and more impressive.

But to be clear, the DC4 completely turns this into a different conversation. It is very similar to having an external amp vs. comparisons out of the Dave alone. I think that's what jlbrach is getting at given the past 5+ pages of debate. Similar to external amps, there are clear reasons they improve the quality of sound due to more optimal driving of headphones (not to be confused with coloration or distortion).

All in all, this, plus everything over the past 5+ pages should be enough to end this bizarre debate. There's literally evidence from someone building a DIY improved power supply + impressions/reasoning to improvements, as well as a ton of evidence based anecdotal post from others that have actually experimented (let alone all of the countless threads in summit-fi with everyone saying the same thing). If people that haven't even experimented want to continue to refute and drive a narrative, at this point idc, let them.

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #18,785 of 25,834
I already attested the susvara + Dave if used with usb in and an ok (supposedly low jitter) source and straight to wall will not sound good.

But to give it a good transport, spdif in, and filtered mains, leaving the Dave unmodded, warranty intact, it can superbly drive the Susvara. Point being, anyone criticizing the Dave + susvara combo is simply criticizing their transport, chain, cables and mains quality. Dave is ace. And the Susvara doesn't need a lot of power. Skip the speaker amp.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #18,786 of 25,834

U need to jump on the src dx train and do sorbothanes on it. Like I said, the USB in with my 40x lt3045 chain was still underwhelming. The harmonics that's in the track is muted. That's why tubes will sound good because it will emulate (poorly) the harmonics that's embedded in the track.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #18,787 of 25,834
U need to jump on the src dx train and do sorbothanes on it. Like I said, the USB in with my 40x lt3045 chain was still underwhelming. The harmonics that's in the track is muted. That's why tubes will sound good because it will emulate (poorly) the harmonics that's embedded in the track.
I am intrigued. Plus @edwardsean said he liked them too, and he uses a DC4 as well I think. I need to look into the src dx more tomorrow.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #18,788 of 25,834
I am intrigued. Plus @edwardsean said he liked them too, and he uses a DC4 as well I think. I need to look into the src dx more tomorrow.
Also, have you covered all open ports in the rear of the Dave and other devices? It'll help peer though the music as it reduces the noise. Also when doing HP listening out of the Dave, that will require unplugging the line out connections to cover the ports for that added edge in performance.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #18,790 of 25,834
Might as well jump in with the Topping d10s as well. I think it's lower distortion but has a slight cut in the mids. It'll take at least full 5 days to break in both.
That sounds crazy, though I’ve never tried Topping’s products

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #18,792 of 25,834
I'm pretty sure that folks at Chord do monitor this thread and are aware of these new esoteric power supplies and that they will do some testing with them. And, if they are indeed worthy, they will be incorporated into new designs, I reckon.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #18,793 of 25,834
I'm pretty sure that folks at Chord do monitor this thread and are aware of these new esoteric power supplies and that they will do some testing with them. And, if they are indeed worthy, they will be incorporated into new designs, I reckon.
Fairly obvious it's a form factor issue and a need to fit an aesthetic in mind. The real bragging rights goes to anyone who can make a psu upgrade that can fit inside the Chord chassis.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #18,794 of 25,834
Here's the OTHER catch I'm experiencing. Loud masters that uses limiters can get fatiguing. This is the other issue in my current end game journey that's been bugging me. Mixes that uses limiters has too much sonics that plateaus that it's almost like a flat tone bombarding the ear and it's more evident on TOTL smooth, linear, transparent setups. With that, maybe a tube amp can give more variability and assist it to be more palatable. But this has nothing to do with needing more power on a Susvara for example and may still not be an apparent issue when doing USB in

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #18,795 of 25,834

My SQ findings EXACTLY, using a non DC’4d mDave / Euforia AE, with HD800S & Utopia’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back