CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #18,766 of 25,821
Adding a power supply to the DAVE will not increase the power output of the DAVE. I wish people will realize that more bass is not exclusively the domain of more power. It’s correlation, not causation. Reminds me of a certain situation with a horse parasite treatment and a certain pandemic virus, type of argument…
except said horse parasite treatment has been used on humans worldwide for decades...now back to the chord dave

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #18,767 of 25,821
Yeah, I muddied up the waters with the DC4 talk. :beyersmile: But, it is relevant with talk of new power supplies and the DAVE power output. If one owns a DAVE and wants to drive the Susvaras, they need to decide upon a DC4 or an external amp. I'm just saying in that choice, it would be a tough to pick between a WA33 SE or the DC4
perhaps true but irrelevant to the loony discussion that has dominated this board for days with the suggestion made that the dave on its own can drive the susvara well..99% of those owning both dave and susvara said an external amp was required...all you did was suggest that the power supply you speak of substitutes for the amp

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #18,768 of 25,821
except said horse parasite treatment has been used on humans worldwide for decades...now back to the chord dave
For parasites and at a specific dose, lol. An example of misunderstanding the application. Antibiotics are also prescribed far too often for viruses as well, but they will have no effect on a virus, go figure!

The key to my post was “It’s correlation, not causation", which was relevant to the DAVE discussion… But hey, it seems everyone wants to debate something and come to their own conclusions :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #18,769 of 25,821
perhaps true but irrelevant to the loony discussion that has dominated this board for days with the suggestion made that the dave on its own can drive the susvara well..99% of those owning both dave and susvara said an external amp was required...all you did was suggest that the power supply you speak of substitutes for the amp
Yes, but can one of those 99% give a scientific basis as to why already? What's missing? and what did the lpsu make better besides maybe the quality of the power. I get it, the main theme is " the more you spend the better it sounds ", but some of us are looking for something beyond that, not just taking those opinions for granted. As I said earlier, even Dan Clark disagrees with this and runs the Stealth out of a Mojo saying the sound perfectly fine and don't need more power.

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #18,770 of 25,821
Well its working again the listening starts, the monitor board is still the same that will be changed in 1,5week with extention and pieces to keep the dc wires ataached to the board. No floating wires. Here some impressions of the new glands, cnc aluminium intake piece and the longer silver wires.

Attachments

• A858CE7D-1095-4C8C-BBEB-F180335EF3A9.jpeg
    A858CE7D-1095-4C8C-BBEB-F180335EF3A9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 71049CFE-553A-443D-804F-799547517036.jpeg
    71049CFE-553A-443D-804F-799547517036.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 2CC77CB2-0497-417B-8B37-3DE2C3E08D02.jpeg
    2CC77CB2-0497-417B-8B37-3DE2C3E08D02.jpeg
  • EAC95CB4-BF13-49F4-8EB5-512EB96EB8B0.jpeg
    EAC95CB4-BF13-49F4-8EB5-512EB96EB8B0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • A6EFAB5D-08B8-4C44-9443-481BEE932A24.jpeg
    A6EFAB5D-08B8-4C44-9443-481BEE932A24.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • D9261B74-8BCD-4529-8EF1-80B35E1CD2BC.jpeg
    D9261B74-8BCD-4529-8EF1-80B35E1CD2BC.jpeg
Jan 6, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #18,772 of 25,821
...the "Triple By-pass" port is very clean. Nice!
Thanks took a few ****ups before it was to my please… wanted it smooth and original look and feel.

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #18,773 of 25,821
Well its working again the listening starts, the monitor board is still the same that will be changed in 1,5week with extention and pieces to keep the dc wires ataached to the board. No floating wires. Here some impressions of the new glands, cnc aluminium intake piece and the longer silver wires.
Very cool

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #18,774 of 25,821
Jan 6, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #18,775 of 25,821
Looks great!

I've always said that Farads are the best power supplies you can buy. The new project raises the bar even higher.

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #18,776 of 25,821
Yes, but can one of those 99% give a scientific basis as to why already? What's missing? and what did the lpsu make better besides maybe the quality of the power. I get it, the main theme is " the more you spend the better it sounds ", but some of us are looking for something beyond that, not just taking those opinions for granted. As I said earlier, even Dan Clark disagrees with this and runs the Stealth out of a Mojo saying the sound perfectly fine and don't need more power.
I have listened to the stealth out of a hugo 2 and it is indeed fine....it is much better with more powerful amps....IMHO

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #18,777 of 25,821
Yes and he told me today that he is working a long time on a new high end lps that raises every bar to the next level. He told me that he already did some comparison with a dc4 with another customer of him and that it blew it away to the next level. Will be done later this year and in a higher price range but for the full monties the summum with alot of new technology in it. Love this hobby and these people that put so much effort in it to make this more enjoyable.

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #18,778 of 25,821
FWIIW I own the formula s/powerman combo....when I first bought the formula s I thought it was excellent but when I added the powerman everything improved and the blacker background gave the appearance of more power to my listening...I accept that the power source can make a big difference...I am not an engineer so I cant give you a proper explanation but again the initial debate was about the dave as is.....

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #18,779 of 25,821
I was thinking what you said the fact that if you look at the stock power supply of the dave i can imagine when that 30,- switched power supply has to deliver at max it can drop or get instable at piek loads this will come back into you music as “cannot handle” as rob watts mentioned its not the current that is the problem but the voltage drop on the mosfets or whatever is in the output stage of the headphone amp. When a heavy/steady lps is added i can recon that this voltage drop will less ocur so in the high power regions the headphone will feel much firmer and cope better(follow the current needed and deliver the voltage to streer the headphone). This is beside the noise level issue what will improve all the other things mentioned before. Hope my crappy english is good enough to explain my thoughts about this.

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #18,780 of 25,821
I was thinking what you said the fact that if you look at the stock power supply of the dave i can imagine when that 30,- switched power supply has to deliver at max it can drop or get instable at piek loads this will come back into you music as “cannot handle” as rob watts mentioned its not the current that is the problem but the voltage drop on the mosfets or whatever is in the output stage of the headphone amp. When a heavy/steady lps is added i can recon that this voltage drop will less ocur so in the high power regions the headphone will feel much firmer and cope better(follow the current needed and deliver the voltage to streer the headphone). This is beside the noise level issue what will improve all the other things mentioned before. Hope my crappy english is good enough to explain my thoughts about this.
As mentioned by me and @Ciggavelli , I listen at -6dB to -4dB and him at -7dB and that's enough power for the Susvara. If you listen at +4dB and above, and like distortion, go for an external amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back