CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #18,737 of 25,755
This week gonna upgrade my test set with rodium inlets and these new purple fuses en changing some connector. This will be the full options version. Always been hesitant of the impact of fuses. In my early days was design engineer for littlefuse netherlands did alot of physical tests and calculation on degredation of fuses but back than never linked it to sound quality. Eager to hear the effect on that.

Personaly would elimante the fuse totally but for consumers thats not an option.
I admit to being a fuse agnostic and also would have said that surely no fuse is the best option for sound (if not for safety) but recently I have been reading reports from users of the QSA fuses (Quantum Science Audio) where they report hugely better sound from having those fuses in circuit as opposed to no fuse.

As for price I am afraid it is a reiteration of the "if you have to ask how much it is you can't afford it" quote. And no, I don't use any . . .

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #18,739 of 25,755
(Quantum Science Audio) where they report hugely better sound from having those fuses in circuit as opposed to no fuse.
Better than no fuse? Where's the thread on this? This must be the 1k-ish fuse I'm hearing about judging from the way your talking about it. 🤣

Thing is, if the fuse has some silver, carbon, even if it's a short run, it will indeed be better than no fuse on a crap inlet. I use solid silver inlets.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #18,740 of 25,755
Most users in the UK have a plug with a 13 amp fuse unless they use an European Schuko to avoid having a UK fused cable.
Ditch the fuse in your plugs for an instant upgrade in SQ.......
The fuse protects the cable I have a Torus with a breaker that does the same thing so I do not need fuses.
So this is my upgraded plug :) just add in a neutral post into the live or change around the fuse holder in this well know plug.

Caveat do not do this.

Changing the equipment internal fuses also changes the sound IMHO

Check out these links

https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/fuses/
https://www.psaudio.com/askpaulvideo/audiophile-fuses/

PS Tried the Blue and Orange

Attachments

• 20201123_112511 (1).jpg
    20201123_112511 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200622_084121 (1).jpg
    20200622_084121 (1).jpg
    785.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #18,741 of 25,755
I am reading this half laughing half paying attention...basically you are saying a wa33 or your power source both improve performance equally but of course they cost the same thing...those who own a dave without the enhanced power source are going to be super disappointed with the dave and susvara..I suppose given your description one makes a choice between amp or power source but dave on its own doesnt cut it with the susvara which I thought was the point of this whole debate...perhaps I am wrong?
Yeah, I muddied up the waters with the DC4 talk. :beyersmile: But, it is relevant with talk of new power supplies and the DAVE power output. If one owns a DAVE and wants to drive the Susvaras, they need to decide upon a DC4 or an external amp. I'm just saying in that choice, it would be a tough to pick between a WA33 SE or the DC4

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #18,742 of 25,755
Yeah, I muddied up the waters with the DC4 talk. :beyersmile: But, it is relevant with talk of new power supplies and the DAVE power output. If one owns a DAVE and wants to drive the Susvaras, they need to decide upon a DC4 or an external amp. I'm just saying in that choice, it would be a tough to pick between a WA33 SE or the DC4
Easy answer. Always the DC4 or power conditioner. There's no way for an external amp to better a dac that has a psu upgrade. Garbage in, garbage out. It's tricky to upgrade the Dave and but just seeing how the Qutest scales on a power upgrade makes the answer clear.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #18,743 of 25,755
Adding a power supply to the DAVE will not increase the power output of the DAVE. I wish people will realize that more bass is not exclusively the domain of more power. It’s correlation, not causation. Reminds me of a certain situation with a horse parasite treatment and a certain pandemic virus, type of argument…
False. I'm hearing it with my own ears, and I have the WA33 EE JPS to compare it to 🤷‍♂️

Honestly, I am very happy with this new found power in my DAVE brought about by the DC4, and if nobody else tries it, that will be fine with me. I'm just super excited to have another solid state to use when I want a different flavor from my WA33 :L3000:

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #18,744 of 25,755
Better than no fuse? Where's the thread on this? This must be the 1k-ish fuse I'm hearing about judging from the way your talking about it. 🤣

Thing is, if the fuse has some silver, carbon, even if it's a short run, it will indeed be better than no fuse on a crap inlet. I use solid silver inlets.
The specific discussions I have seen are on a closed discussion group so cannot be repeated here but an internet search of QSA fuses will possibly give answers to some of your questions (I have not read any of those websites so I am guessing).

1k-ish fuse? You cheapskate! I repeat, "if you have to ask how much it is you can't afford it". But think several times your guess to get close.

The only problem is completely dismissing the QSA fuses is that several people who have good ears (and no dog in the race) are very sure they make a positive difference.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #18,745 of 25,755
The specific discussions I have seen are on a closed discussion group so cannot be repeated here but an internet search of QSA fuses will possibly give answers to some of your questions (I have not read any of those websites so I am guessing).

1k-ish fuse? You cheapskate! I repeat, "if you have to ask how much it is you can't afford it". But think several times your guess to get close.

The only problem is completely dismissing the QSA fuses is that several people who have good ears (and no dog in the race) are very sure they make a positive difference.
I'm out due to the flash crash. 🤣🤣

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #18,746 of 25,755
False. I'm hearing it with my own ears, and I have the WA33 EE JPS to compare it to 🤷‍♂️

Honestly, I am very happy with this new found power in my DAVE brought about by the DC4, and if nobody else tries it, that will be fine with me. I'm just super excited to have another solid state to use when I want a different flavor from my WA33 :L3000:
I think what they were saying is that the improvement is due to better power, not more. Which ties in with that Rob was saying all along btw. And I agree, i don't see how a new psu would increase the power output of an amp. It would he helpful if you could measure it though.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #18,747 of 25,755
I think what they were saying is that the improvement is due to better power, not more. Which ties in with that Rob was saying all along btw. And I agree, i don't see how a new psu would increase the power output of an amp. It would he helpful if you could measure it though.
I am 100% into measuring it, but I’m not sure how.

PSUs do change power ratings though, on PCs at least. A 400watt psu can’t run 2 high end GPUs, but a 1200watt psu can. So, if that holds true, the DC4 is doing the same for my DAVE and TCs (the “GPUs” in my analogy).

I’m no electrical engineer, but prior to the DC4, the TCs and Susvaras sounded much more anemic. With the DC4, the rival other powerful headphone amps.

Jan 6, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #18,748 of 25,755
Jan 6, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #18,750 of 25,755
Yes it is, tomorrrow i will install the options, purple fuse, rodium inlets, and in about 2 weeks the final prints will arrive. Just came feom his place a hour ago and talked about this. I will probably need a week to assemble the hardware and test the first 10 sets. So end of the month it will be ready. The stock setup with no upgrade fuse and inlets will be 3.000,- euros incl vat. And the full options version will be 3.750,- inc vat. The effect of these upgrade i will review the upcoming two weeks. New silver dc leads have to be played in icw the fuses etc…

Pre ordering can be done already ofcourse. I thought he told me 6-7 people already mailed him about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back