CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 30, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #18,197 of 25,755
Hmm ,do not forget that they recently raised the prices of those dacs like -Dave and TT2 by about as much as a Qutest used to cost.
Cheers CC
Qutest and TT2 went up by £250
DAVE went up by £500

Oct 30, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #18,198 of 25,755
If anyone is interested in using external linear power supply for Dave , check out my listing .

I’ve had it for 1 year and had 0 issues .
I have sold DAVE , so no need for dual LPS .

It made huge difference for me making bit less digital and more pleasurable to listen to . Basically all added benefits when replacing switched power ( stock ) with external dual LPS

I would have no problem selling keces p3 individually for about 300-3500 each but thought to offer to the community first as a LPS solution for DAVE

All you would need to to use open DAVe , remove internal switches power supply and connect one I’ll send you .
Cables are ready to go and wires properly . I’ve had this setup for almost a year with no issues . If this does not sell in a week I’ll sell keces as regular LPS . So act now if you want to experience how Dave sounds with true external Dual LPS

https://audiophilestyle.com/classifieds/item/1656-2-keces-dual-dc-power-supplies-chord-dave-harness/

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #18,199 of 25,755
Hmm ,do not forget that they recently raised the prices of those dacs like -Dave and TT2 by about as much as a Qutest used to cost.
Cheers CC
I got 100% trade in on TT2 when I bought my DAVE (from a different UK supplier) - but you pay 100% of DAVE price this way, whereas if you just buy one for cash you'll get 15% off.

Oct 31, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #18,201 of 25,755
Hi all,
I just got a new Dave a few days ago. It is really good. I am pairing it with my Nad c275 bee and thinking what would be a better option to drive B&W 88 dB bookshelves.

I am very interested in the NAD M22V2 because the C275 works really well with Dave (better than a couple of more expensive ones I have). I am also considering Etude. I like Etude but there is so little info. regarding this amp. I like a good sound stage + focused imaging. Better to be a silver color.....

Please, could some help to share some experiences on these two amps (NAD m22 vs. Etude)? or maybe some other amps that work well with DAVE.

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #18,202 of 25,755
Hi all,
I just got a new Dave a few days ago. It is really good. I am pairing it with my Nad c275 bee and thinking what would be a better option to drive B&W 88 dB bookshelves.

I am very interested in the NAD M22V2 because the C275 works really well with Dave (better than a couple of more expensive ones I have). I am also considering Etude. I like Etude but there is so little info. regarding this amp. I like a good sound stage + focused imaging. Better to be a silver color.....

Please, could some help to share some experiences on these two amps (NAD m22 vs. Etude)? or maybe some other amps that work well with DAVE.
The issue with the NAD M22 is that it is a switching amplifier. So even though it might have a lower noise floor and more power than the C275, the amplifier probably switches at around 500kHz whereas DAVE first upsamples to 705/768kHz and then further upsamples to 104MHz with noise shaping to get you great timing accuracy and remarkable transients. So I personally would strongly advise you against getting any Class D amplifiers as an upgrade from the C275.

I own the Chord Etude so I'm biased but I really like it. Another amp I like that I found superbly transparent is Bryston 4B3 although I think I still prefer the Chord Etude slightly more. Part of the challenge in getting a good Class A/AB amplifier to pair with the DAVE is that many excellent amplifiers are still not as transparent as the DAVE (which is probably why you're already thinking about upgrading the NAD C275 even though it's already an excellent amp). And as I said, class D amplifiers that are transparent and dynamic ruin the transient accuracy of DAVE. So if I were you, I would enjoy the DAVE with the NAD C275 for a bit longer for now and start slowly exploring what amplifier you want to upgrade to. (btw, I presume you're hooking the DAVE up directly to the C275 as I have yet to hear a preamp that's truly transparent to the DAVE. Although I know some people in the forum/thread disagree).

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #18,203 of 25,755
Hi all,

I have no experience with NAD amplifiers, but I do have an Etude which I home demoed with a Naim NAP300. The Etude was brighter and more analytical than the smooth Naim. The Etude sounds like my HD800S headphones. I would suggest it’s more about looking for an amplifier to go well with your B&W’s

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #18,204 of 25,755
The issue with the NAD M22 is that it is a switching amplifier. So even though it might have a lower noise floor and more power than the C275, the amplifier probably switches at around 500kHz whereas DAVE first upsamples to 705/768kHz and then further upsamples to 104MHz with noise shaping to get you great timing accuracy and remarkable transients. So I personally would strongly advise you against getting any Class D amplifiers as an upgrade from the C275.

I own the Chord Etude so I'm biased but I really like it. Another amp I like that I found superbly transparent is Bryston 4B3 although I think I still prefer the Chord Etude slightly more. Part of the challenge in getting a good Class A/AB amplifier to pair with the DAVE is that many excellent amplifiers are still not as transparent as the DAVE (which is probably why you're already thinking about upgrading the NAD C275 even though it's already an excellent amp). And as I said, class D amplifiers that are transparent and dynamic ruin the transient accuracy of DAVE. So if I were you, I would enjoy the DAVE with the NAD C275 for a bit longer for now and start slowly exploring what amplifier you want to upgrade to. (btw, I presume you're hooking the DAVE up directly to the C275 as I have yet to hear a preamp that's truly transparent to the DAVE. Although I know some people in the forum/thread disagree).
The fact that the M22 V2 is a switching amp is completely independent of and irrelevant to any upsampling a DAC may be doing. It is a superb amp, but probably overkill for all but the least sensitive headphones.

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #18,205 of 25,755
Thanks all!

Your replies are beyond my knowledge (the Nad m22 part....). Yes, I am using the DAVE as a preamp as well. I do have a Schiit freya+ (NOS tubes from 40s 50s) and Gustard p26. Not as good as using the DAVE alone.

I love the sound from my C275 but not the look ..... Then from what I read here and many other places, is it more relevant how an amp drives speakers than how an amp works with the DAC? Sorry for my poor English. Wish you understand my sentences .....

I can also get a 4b3 and its look is comparable to my c275 ......

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #18,206 of 25,755
Thanks all!

Your replies are beyond my knowledge (the Nad m22 part....). Yes, I am using the DAVE as a preamp as well. I do have a Schiit freya+ (NOS tubes from 40s 50s) and Gustard p26. Not as good as using the DAVE alone.

I love the sound from my C275 but not the look ..... Then from what I read here and many other places, is it more relevant how an amp drives speakers than how an amp works with the DAC? Sorry for my poor English. Wish you understand my sentences .....

I can also get a 4b3 and its look is comparable to my c275 ...... I highly recommend audio-electric engineers to take art design as a 2nd degree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Engineering is typically a specialized and full-time job. Most firms hire or contract an industrial designer to craft the exterior look of a product.

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #18,207 of 25,755
Engineering is typically a specialized and full-time job. Most firms hire or contract an industrial designer to craft the exterior look of a product.
As you are posting in the Dave thread you will probably know that as far as I know Chord are an exception to what you say there.

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #18,208 of 25,755
As you are posting in the Dave thread you will probably know that as far as I know Chord are an exception to what you say there.
That's interesting, although it doesn't really change or invalidate anything I wrote. It's not realistic to expect most engineers to acquire expertise in industrial design. Cheers.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #18,209 of 25,755
There could be a consensus reached regarding the criteria to choose an AMP for Dave. Can anyone say something?

Neutral, transparent, or even analytical, high gain or low gain. Class A, AB, D, or e,f,g whatsoever, not for personal taste but to make the best out of the DAC?

I am seeking such info. but not so much regarding speaker amps ,,,,, except the Etude- an answer from Chord itself :wink:

Oct 31, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #18,210 of 25,755
That's interesting, although it doesn't really change or invalidate anything I wrote. It's not realistic to expect most engineers to acquire expertise in industrial design. Cheers.
LoL. that is so true. As a biomedical engineer who spent four years on painting in an art school, I feel really bad looking at ugly (in my taste) but good quality engineering pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back