CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 25, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #17,911 of 25,834
a new m-scaler makes perfect sense...this way he can keep the dave as the basic DAC and rather than updating it he can continue to update the m-scaler..
So the new m-scaler will have the Dave footprint. I wouldn't be surprised there will be a follow-up version with TT2 footprint.

The USB will likely be upgraded too using XMOS2 or other alternatives better than Amanero.

I like the direction Chord is going to although I am still waiting for a streamer with dBNC and TT2 footprint.

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #17,912 of 25,834
Every time you add functionality, something has to be compromised -- usually the sound quality. The other problem is, if you have a high-end DAC with streaming or something else built-in, if the streaming hardware becomes obsolete, then you have to replace the whole DAC to upgrade it, or buy a separate device, so you're back to square one.

Not to mention, products are judged by their worst-performing feature, even if everything else is excellent.

One of the most significant things about the Chord DACs is how they've withstood the test of time. It has been 6 years since the DAVE was released, and it is still a wished-for, and presumably good-selling device.

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #17,913 of 25,834
yes, the dave is so good that 6 yrs later it is difficult to find anything that has surpassed it and believe me I am willing to look into anything lol

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #17,914 of 25,834
I can't seem to find @Rob Watts old posts on Dave's headphone amp specs, does anyone have any opinion (if not objective values ) on how well Dave could drive the Stealth based on ASR's measurements?
1629912070473.png

Dave will drive the Stealth with ease - with max volume you would get an ear damaging 125dB SPL from Dave...

Aug 26, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #17,916 of 25,834
Every time you add functionality, something has to be compromised -- usually the sound quality. The other problem is, if you have a high-end DAC with streaming or something else built-in, if the streaming hardware becomes obsolete, then you have to replace the whole DAC to upgrade it, or buy a separate device, so you're back to square one.

Amen, could not agree more. A DAC should be a DAC, no more and no less. It is the obsolescence that I care about the most and prevents me from buying DACs that are tacked onto something else.

Aug 26, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #17,917 of 25,834
Hi All,
I seem to be suffering a bout of upgradeitis, and it is now getting serious, I am considering trading in my Dave and MScaler! I am looking at the Aqua Formula Xhd. Anyway, the cost of the actual change would be quite small, largely due to the excellent residuals of both the Chord products, however, once I factor in a pre-amp (may go passive) and quality interconnects, the cost then begins to approach that of a DC4 power supply. My question is, to those who have heard or own the DC4 or any other after market Dave PSU, what effect (if any) does it have specifically on sound stage, particularly sound stage depth?

Another question, and perhaps a rather silly one, but does anyone use the Dave with a passive pre-amp? Is there any advantage to doing the volume control in the analogue domain and running Dave in DAC only mode? Particularly given how well implemented Dave's digital volume control is. (I only use one source, and could use very short interconnects, so a passive is an option for me.)

Aug 26, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #17,918 of 25,834
Hi All,
I seem to be suffering a bout of upgradeitis, and it is now getting serious, I am considering trading in my Dave and MScaler! I am looking at the Aqua Formula Xhd. Anyway, the cost of the actual change would be quite small, largely due to the excellent residuals of both the Chord products, however, once I factor in a pre-amp (may go passive) and quality interconnects, the cost then begins to approach that of a DC4 power supply. My question is, to those who have heard or own the DC4 or any other after market Dave PSU, what effect (if any) does it have specifically on sound stage, particularly sound stage depth?

Another question, and perhaps a rather silly one, but does anyone use the Dave with a passive pre-amp? Is there any advantage to doing the volume control in the analogue domain and running Dave in DAC only mode? Particularly given how well implemented Dave's digital volume control is. (I only use one source, and could use very short interconnects, so a passive is an option for me.)
I run DAVE (with M Scaler) just as a DAC to my Hifiman EF1000 Amp (EF1000 has tube pre-amp & ss headphone & speaker power amp) with my Susvaras and it sounds amazing.

I also run my DAVE as a DAC to my Chord Prima Pre-Amp which is connected to my Chord Mezzo 140 Power Amp which I much prefer than DAVE (with it's digital Pre-Amp mode) direct to the Mezzo 140.

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #17,919 of 25,834
Hi All,

The DC4 changes/ improves everything. Takes the Dave into big boy territory. Worth every penny IMO…

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #17,920 of 25,834
Hi All,

I think @Triode User had a passive preamp.

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #17,921 of 25,834
I think @Triode User had a passive preamp.
@burbster I used a Music First Audio transformer volume control passive pre with my Dave and valve/tube power amps because I always felt that the Dave direct into valve power amps had a deteriorated sound quality. It was very marked.

However with my ss Pass Labs power amps the Dave direct is the best and most transparent option. (The Music First Audio transformer volume control passive pre is not far behind but it is definitely slightly worse).

I currently use a DC4 with my Dave (well actually I have the upgraded ARC6 version because Sean asked me to listen to a prototype). Adding the DC4 to the Dave was one of the best decisions of my hifi purchasing. It turns the excellent Dave into a stellar all conquering DAC.

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #17,922 of 25,834
Thanks for the feedback guys, just made some tentative enquiries about a DC4 with Sean from custom HiFi.

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #17,923 of 25,834
Another vote for Dave on a DC4, although I do not (yet) have the ARC6 conversion.

I also have an MScaler and have run PGGB and non-PGGB with and without HMS.

For a few months now, I play and stream from Extreme to Denefrips Gaia via USB, convert to SPDIF into Dave.

No upsampling, just whatever res I have. It's fantastic. Sound stage is amazing. Detail. Playing Amused to Death makes my new puppy crazy. Sounds like people are sitting on the side sofa. Funny.

If I'm honest...and I am, sir...I don't really like de-constructing the Dave. I have considered an MSB stack. But I do think the de-constructed Dave is very, very good.

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #17,924 of 25,834
Another vote for Dave on a DC4, although I do not (yet) have the ARC6 conversion.

I also have an MScaler and have run PGGB and non-PGGB with and without HMS.

For a few months now, I play and stream from Extreme to Denefrips Gaia via USB, convert to SPDIF into Dave.

No upsampling, just whatever res I have. It's fantastic. Sound stage is amazing. Detail. Playing Amused to Death makes my new puppy crazy. Sounds like people are sitting on the side sofa. Funny.

If I'm honest...and I am, sir...I don't really like de-constructing the Dave. I have considered an MSB stack. But I do think the de-constructed Dave is very, very good.
...ps @burbster I run in DAC mode to Luxman c900 to 2xLuxman m900 amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back