CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 5, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #17,476 of 25,832
I am waiting to receive M Scaler. I was wondering, since all the electronics in my setup have switching power supplies, if it would make sense to add shielded power cables or power conditioners. I saw for example that for HPA4 John Siau does not recommend changing cables because it would be useless. Indeed he told me that switching power supplies are superior to linear power supplies because they produce much less EMI / RFI disturbances and are also much less noisy. It seems to me that Rob Watts also advises against changing DAVE's internal power supply. But then maybe it's not better to have all switching power supplies?
I use both within my system and it makes a pleasant and audibly noticeable difference. Whether that difference is worth around $8000 is a tough call 🤣😂😄

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #17,477 of 25,832
NAIM has become more of a cult. When a company starts to peddle solid state amplifiers and preamplifiers that cost in the neighborhood of 100 grand, I write them off. Their external power supplies now cost nearly 10 grand. Oh, you really need two of these for their high end streamer. I’m waiting for the next model that requires four external power supplies.

it reminds me of the classic Polish joke about Russian technology. A man wearing the latest Russian high tech watch and carrying two large heavy suitcases was strolling across the square in Warsaw when someone asked him the time. He gave the time and the weather and so on. The passerby was impressed and asked him who made the watch. He said it was Russian, and worked great, but the batteries were a bit heavy (referring to the two suitcases).
Can only comment on what I hear and good power makes a difference beit Sean Jacobs ps, naim ps units, dedicated mains circuit, etc tried this on arcam, naim, innuos, chord, hifi kit all responded to decent power supply.

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #17,478 of 25,832
Just about everyone who has replied to the original question has made claims regarding the difference their choice of power cable has made ( or the manufacturer of their power cables ethernet cable so by implication the power cable ).
Indeed, but they are answering the question that was asked.

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #17,479 of 25,832
Power chord wise tried plenty mcru no.75, chord sarum, audioquest hurricane, naim powerline, etc. Found they give marginal gains. Like chord sarum on dave and the audioquest hurricane feeding my mains block

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #17,480 of 25,832
NAIM has become more of a cult. When a company starts to peddle solid state amplifiers and preamplifiers that cost in the neighborhood of 100 grand, I write them off. Their external power supplies now cost nearly 10 grand. Oh, you really need two of these for their high end streamer. I’m waiting for the next model that requires four external power supplies.

it reminds me of the classic Polish joke about Russian technology. A man wearing the latest Russian high tech watch and carrying two large heavy suitcases was strolling across the square in Warsaw when someone asked him the time. He gave the time and the weather and so on. The passerby was impressed and asked him who made the watch. He said it was Russian, and worked great, but the batteries were a bit heavy (referring to the two suitcases).
Fortunately, Naim isn’t the only manufacturer of high end streamers. While it makes great streamers and I owned a couple until recently, I generally prefer Linn with its considerably more light and transparent image.

p.s

If you don’t want to have multiple top end boxes, just get a new Linn Klimax for a bit more than the Naim ND 555. Personally, I think it sounds and looks much better anyway.

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #17,481 of 25,832
Whether that difference is worth around $8000 is a tough call
Tell most people what you've spent on a DAC and they'll think you're crazy, if they even know what a DAC is. Or tell them what your headphones cost and wait for the laughter to end. Whether something is 'worth it' is a question only one person can answer, the same as many other things in life.

I told one of my friend's what my system cost when he asked. He thought I was crazy. Then I told him the retail of one power cable for a laugh and he said something I cannot repeat here. Then again, we used to go to the pubs for a drink and now he always want to have a drink at mine listening to music all evening. :smile:

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #17,482 of 25,832
Tell most people what you've spent on a DAC and they'll think you're crazy, if they even know what a DAC is. Or tell them what your headphones cost and wait for the laughter to end. Whether something is 'worth it' is a question only one person can answer, the same as many other things in life.

I told one of my friend's what my system cost when he asked. He thought I was crazy. Then I told him the retail of one power cable for a laugh and he said something I cannot repeat here. Then again, we used to go to the pubs for a drink and now he always want to have a drink at mine listening to music all evening. :smile:
I know what you mean. The value of my setup is quickly approaching $40,000 and it’s powering only a single pair of headphones. A dealer where I usually shop is getting a pair of Utopia and Stellia so I might end up buying one of those at some point.

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #17,483 of 25,832
I know what you mean. The value of my setup is quickly approaching $40,000 and it’s powering only a single pair of headphones. A dealer where I usually shop is getting a pair of Utopia and Stellia so I might end up buying one of those at some point.
Stellia are great, and they even sound good straight off the laptop when needed. Amazing headphones.

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #17,484 of 25,832
As I understand Dave is connected to Niagara with NRG Z3, but what about cable from Niagara to wall ? Any particular one or just default "black computer cable" ?
Niagara to the wall is also a (2m) NRG Z3…

(FYI the Niagara doesn’t come with a power cord)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #17,485 of 25,832
Quite big difference was when I changed all my "normal power cables" to DIY cables made out of Belden 19364 cable and cheapest Wattgate plugs. Since then I have tried some expensive cords. Some was easily noticeable, some not, but I strongly recommend Belden 19364 - excellent price/performance/common sense ratio.

Jul 7, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #17,489 of 25,832
If I am listening to a utopia I would and have listened straight out of the Dave…with a susvara or abyss tc one needs a high quality amp and although obviously there is some issue introducing an amp the advantages of a high quality amp overcome the issues IMHO
If I am listening to a utopia I would and have listened straight out of the Dave…with a susvara or abyss tc one needs a high quality amp and although obviously there is some issue introducing an amp the advantages of a high quality amp overcome the issues IMHO
So can someone articulate what you hear differently with Susvara direct from DAVE vs say Susvara with DAVE plus Bakoon? Is the shimmer, decay, microdetail, expanse of sound stage, instrument separation and layering seem in any way compromised by adding the Bakoon? Would you consider the Bakoon to be a transparent amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back