CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 18, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #17,206 of 25,834
May 19, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #17,207 of 25,834
I am a happy Chord Dave owner and am hearing that others have their power supplied fried despite their unit being only months old. Anyone else go through this? Was the warranty process smooth? Thank god mine is fine, but just curious.

May 19, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #17,208 of 25,834
I am a happy Chord Dave owner and am hearing that others have their power supplied fried despite their unit being only months old. Anyone else go through this? Was the warranty process smooth? Thank god mine is fine, but just curious.

where did you hear this? i've heard of people messing around with different power supplies on the qutest or tt2 and a very few that replaced the power supply in the dave, but nothing about issues with stock units.

my dave is almost a year old, is left on 24/7, and is doing wonderfully.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #17,209 of 25,834
where did you hear this? i've heard of people messing around with different power supplies on the qutest or tt2 and a very few that replaced the power supply in the dave, but nothing about issues with stock units.

my dave is almost a year old, is left on 24/7, and is doing wonderfully.
Correct, he is more likely referring the small handful of DAVE owners who replaced their power supply in an audiophile's quest for increased fidelity.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #17,210 of 25,834
Correct, he is more likely referring the small handful of DAVE owners who replaced their power supply in an audiophile's quest for increased fidelity.
I don't think so. The OP refers to DAVE owners, some who have only had their unit for months, and goes on to enquire after in-warranty repairs.

Replacing the DAVE PS is something usually done by more experienced Dave owners with full knowledge that you are voiding the warranty. It is something that is not entirely without risk, but the swap is straightforward and safe.

The OP seems to have heard about DAVE owners who have had their stock unit fail and some pretty quickly. I don't think this is reliable information.

May 19, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #17,211 of 25,834
That’s a completely new one on me. I have never heard of a Dave power supply failing. Where did you hear about that? So far there are over 1100 pages on this thread and as far as I recall yours is the first post to mention this.

May 20, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #17,212 of 25,834
The OP seems to have heard about DAVE owners who have had their stock unit fail and some pretty quickly. I don't think this is reliable information.
I agree. I don't recall reading about anyone having had issues with the DAVE. I have heard of some people having issues with the TT2 - perhaps he is confusing that issue with the DAVE?

May 20, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #17,213 of 25,834
That’s a completely new one on me. I have never heard of a Dave power supply failing. Where did you hear about that? So far there are over 1100 pages on this thread and as far as I recall yours is the first post to mention this.
Chord replaced my DAVE’s power supply three years into the warranty.

The problem was inconsistent power engagement regardless of the power cable used. There would sometimes be fizzing from the DAVE’s power inlet socket, requiring several attempts to reinsert the power cable before power was properly engaged. Chord advised that the mains filter was the problem, which they replaced. They also replaced the power supply as “a precaution”. The engagement with Chord over the repair went very smoothly.

May 23, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #17,215 of 25,834
Hi all, I have the opportunity to purchase a used Dave out of warranty. I understand risk of unit failing and repairs are all part of buying used. However would anyone have any experience what the repair cost would be like if such situation occurs? There are lower price dacs /electronics where if it fails it’s easier to replace then repair, however I’m hoping thats not the case with product of this caliber such as Dave. Would be keen to hear experience from others on this. Feel free to pm if it’s more suitable.

May 23, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #17,216 of 25,834
I suppose it would depend what the failure was but I am pretty confident the repair would amount to a fraction of the cost

May 23, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #17,217 of 25,834
Hi all, I have the opportunity to purchase a used Dave out of warranty. I understand risk of unit failing and repairs are all part of buying used.
I suppose it would depend what the failure was but I am pretty confident the repair would amount to a fraction of the cost
Reminds me of buying used cars - I know I was afraid of after warranty repairs. The question is how much are you saving on buying used Dave and if that budget would be enough to deal with a repair. Things usually break in the first couple of weeks of use (unless cases of planned obsolescence), so if the Dave has been working for the last 5 years without issues, you should be fine.

May 23, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #17,218 of 25,834
I dont want to jinx myself but other than a few easily dealt with quirks I have had no issue with my dave in the few yrs I have owned it

May 23, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #17,219 of 25,834
I had problems with a new DAVE (at the time I bought it). It wouldn’t work with the M-Scaler without clicking and static. It was a relatively common problem I came to learn. Thing is, you wouldn’t know anything was wrong with the DAVE unless you added the m-scaler. I had to get the DAVE fixed and get the new firmware or whatever.

So, I’d ask whoever owns the DAVE if they had tried the M-Scaler with it

May 23, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #17,220 of 25,834
I have the blu2 and had a few cable issues but nothing since

Users who are viewing this thread

Back