CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 5, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #15,046 of 25,821
That's weird unless it is my AS3000 playing tricks on me because when using DAC MODE I am using LINE IN via RCA and when using Dave as a DIGITAL PREAMP MODE I am on MAIN DIRECT input still RCA but shut's off all internal components from headphone section, tone controls etc.. So I am not hearing the Dave Change it is my AMP within less internal = more analog sound.. All I know it is a win win because it sounds great.

All that Dac mode does is lock the Dave output level to -3dB. If you have Dave in preamp mode and set the output to -3dB then the two are identical in both loudness and audio quality. It must be your AS3000 circuits or your ears but like you say, win win.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #15,047 of 25,821
Yes to both. Very quiet background now and much improved bass/low end texture and impact. I later added Wave Streams so noise/harshness was further reduced.

did you place the DAVE / MSCALER in the filtered sockets i assume ? (just checking as trying to work out if the 1200 has enough high current sockets for my system)

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #15,048 of 25,821
All that Dac mode does is lock the Dave output level to -3dB. If you have Dave in preamp mode and set the output to -3dB then the two are identical in both loudness and audio quality. It must be your AS3000 circuits or your ears but like you say, win win.

Hi Triode, this is very interesting what you are advocating. Please forgive my questioning this as I know you know Rob Watts quite well. So, it is an absolute certainty that whether you are in Dac or Preamp mode, the signal is going through the exact same circuitry, and not bypassing any digital volume control when in Dac mode?

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #15,049 of 25,821
Hi Triode, this is very interesting what you are advocating. Please forgive my questioning this as I know you know Rob Watts quite well. So, it is an absolute certainty that whether you are in Dac or Preamp mode, the signal is going through the exact same circuitry, and not bypassing any digital volume control when in Dac mode?

Yes, absolutely certain. No difference in signal path. Both go through the same digital volume control. When the volume is set to -3dB in pre amp mode it is EXACTLY the same signal as the Dac mode output.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #15,050 of 25,821
Aug 7, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #15,051 of 25,821
Is there anything wrong with Audirvana handling the MQA decoding considering that Chord does not support MQA? If not, the sound quality will the same as a DAC that support MQA natively?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #15,052 of 25,821
Is there anything wrong with Audirvana handling the MQA decoding considering that Chord does not support MQA? If not, the sound quality will the same as a DAC that support MQA natively?

I changed from Tidal to Qobuz to escape MQA. Just feed the Dave unmolested digital files and it will shine.

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #15,053 of 25,821
I changed from Tidal to Qobuz to escape MQA. Just feed the Dave unmolested digital files and it will shine.

I got Tidal for free so I am trying to use it. So I cancelled my other music subscriptions.

However after doing a few tests, it seems that Tidal has a strange “digital” sound. I have the same songs on other platforms and it doesn’t sound like that.

But it is for free, so I cannot complain.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #15,054 of 25,821
Aug 7, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #15,055 of 25,821
Is MQA a problem for Dave or just "bad " in general? Some of the stuff sounds pretty good,though it's probably the mastering,not their algorithm claims.

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #15,056 of 25,821
Aug 7, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #15,057 of 25,821
Is MQA a problem for Dave or just "bad " in general? Some of the stuff sounds pretty good,though it's probably the mastering,not their algorithm claims.

No, Dave is not the issue. Have a search on here for why Rob Watts has no intention of incorporating MQA compatibility into Chord DACs.

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #15,058 of 25,821
No, Dave is not the issue. Have a search on here for why Rob Watts has no intention of incorporating MQA compatibility into Chord DACs.
Will do, i assume it's the same problem everyone has with mqa, but for non-mqa content there should be no difference between qobuz and tidal.

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #15,059 of 25,821
With non mqa music i find rbcd identical with roon tidal vs roon qobuz. However mqa files sound muffled, lacking in definition and the leading edges i.e. rise and fall of piano notes as an example no longer distinct from each other. I initially thought mqa was warmer and more pleasing till i realised what was going on.

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #15,060 of 25,821
With non mqa music i find rbcd identical with roon tidal vs roon qobuz. However mqa files sound muffled, lacking in definition and the leading edges i.e. rise and fall of piano notes as an example no longer distinct from each other. I initially thought mqa was warmer and more pleasing till i realised what was going on.
I'll have to check once my Dave gets here, but still i think that's hardly a reason to move away since most, if not all mqa tracks have at least one equivalent cd quality version

Users who are viewing this thread

Back